Forum & Website Suggestions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
43 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Forum cleanup suggestions

CountryBumkin
Just wanted to mention that, IMO, there are still a few "Intro" and "Welcoming" posts on the main forum page that could be moved to the Introductions section, as they are not really truck questions/info.

Also, for organizational correctness  I think the "Salvaging Rosewood" post in Resources belongs in the "FAQ & How To" thread.

I'm probably OCD so don't pay to much attention to me - I just have to post this to have some peace.
-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Forum cleanup suggestions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mike - I was hoping to keep the New User's forum to threads started by users about themselves - although only 6 of us have done that and we have 14 users at this point. That way we can come to that forum and use the search function to easily find out something about the user in question. Given that and the fact that it isn't likely a new user would see a welcome post buried in there, I'm loathe to move welcome posts into that forum. So, I deleted the only one I could find - to fschmidt, who has yet to make a post. But, have I missed some?

Also, there are several threads on the structure or use of the forum in the main page, and I don't know what to do with them. That includes "Some thoughts on how to use this forum", Merry Christmas!", "Get Together", "Forum & Website Suggestions", and the next 5 after/below that one. Each of those has some info that can be helpful or history that we might want so might be nice to keep. But I don't see a good place to put them. What if we just let them roll down the page, then go into Page 2, etc?

As for the moving Rosewood to FAQ's, what FAQ's?  Am I missing something?  I think that became the Resource Links sub-forum. My hope was that ideas for how-to's or resource links would be posted in the Resource Links sub-forum. Then, as they get worked that thread can be deleted. So, for instance, Jonathan created that thread, which has some really good how-to info in it. But if we leave that as a thread people will have to go searching for it in a sea of threads. So, Jonathan is working on a Rosewood how-to in the background, and when it is done I'll create a web page for it, probably in the Interior section of the web site, and create an Interior post in the Resource Links forum with a link to the page. And then, with Jonathan's agreement, I will delete the thread. That way people will have the choice of three pinned threads: Electrical; Interior; Suspension - until we add more.

Does that make sense?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CountryBumkin
Anyway you want to structure your forum is fine with me.
I'm just happy to be benefiting from the info provided.

The reason for my comment:
When I open the Resource Links section, I see sub-forums like Electrical and Suspension, which has multiple topics in it all related to the title. That makes sense to me.

There is also a "FAQ, Links and How To" title/section, and then there is the "Rosewood" thread which doesn't seem to belong sitting out on the main Resource Links page by itself.

I was thinking this (Rosewood thread) is a "How To" subject so it should be in the "FAQ, Links and How To" sub-forum. It seems to fit in properly with the "FAQ, Links, How To" sub-forum as there are other similar how-to subjects (Head Light Relay, ICVR, etc.). I could even argue that there should be a sub-forum in the Resources Link titled "Interiors" where the Rosewood, and other similar how-to posts (like swapping seats) would go.

But it doesn't matter, as long as the info is on the site, people will find it.
There are probably hundreds of ways to organize this kind of site/info, there is no wrong or best way to do it.

-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ahhh!  THAT'S where FAQ's, Links, & How-To's is!  I'd forgotten.  Anyway, I absolutely appreciate that you will debate with me where things ought to go.  I need help and I know that.  So, thanks!  And don't take what I'm saying as "the way it will be".  I need other points of view, so I'm trying to explain mine.

I had thought that we could do away with FAQ's et al thread.  I think we have decided to do the links in sub-forums like Electrical and Suspension.  And that How-To's should be done on web pages in the main web site as threads are typically interactive.  Yes?  (There is an exception to threads being interactive as I can "lock" them, as I've done with the Electrical and Suspension threads so no one will respond to them.)

If we are agreed on that then all that is left for that thread is the FAQ portion, and so far we don't have any of them.  But, I can foresee a time when we do, so would be happy with an FAQ thread - but would it rightly be in Resource Links?  Or, should Resource Links be re-named to Resources?

As for the Rosewood thread, I agree it doesn't belong hanging out in the breeze - for the long term.  But, I was hoping we could allow for some such threads on an interim basis - meaning until I get them moved to web pages.  That way people could propose new how-to's or links to additional information, and then I could move the how-to's to web pages or the links to the correct "thread" in Resource Links/Resources.

Which brings me back to the Rosewood thread.  Jonathan is creating a how-to with more info in it than is in that thread, and we plan to put it on a web page - probably in the Interior section of the web site.  And, exactly as you suggested, I plan create a thread in Resource Links/Resources called "Interior" and provide a link to that web page.

However, I disagree that "it doesn't matter, as long as the info is on the site, people will find it."  Without some logical layout even I can't find things on the web site.  There are now about 375 pages, and Jim/fjab and I just had a conversation about where body mounts should be.  He couldn't find them and I only found them because I used the search function.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CountryBumkin
Gary Lewis wrote
I had thought that we could do away with FAQ's et al thread.  I think we have decided to do the links in sub-forums like Electrical and Suspension.  And that How-To's should be done on web pages in the main web site as threads are typically interactive.  Yes?  (There is an exception to threads being interactive as I can "lock" them, as I've done with the Electrical and Suspension threads so no one will respond to them.)
Yea. That's good.

If we are agreed on that then all that is left for that thread is the FAQ portion, and so far we don't have any of them.  But, I can foresee a time when we do, so would be happy with an FAQ thread - but would it rightly be in Resource Links?  Or, should Resource Links be re-named to Resources?
I would go with just plain "Resources" - but either way the purpose gets across.

As for the Rosewood thread, I agree it doesn't belong hanging out in the breeze - for the long term.  But, I was hoping we could allow for some such threads on an interim basis - meaning until I get them moved to web pages.  That way people could propose new how-to's or links to additional information, and then I could move the how-to's to web pages or the links to the correct "thread" in Resource Links/Resources.
Of course.

Which brings me back to the Rosewood thread.  Jonathan is creating a how-to with more info in it than is in that thread, and we plan to put it on a web page - probably in the Interior section of the web site.  And, exactly as you suggested, I plan create a thread in Resource Links/Resources called "Interior" and provide a link to that web page.
great minds think alike.

However, I disagree that "it doesn't matter, as long as the info is on the site, people will find it."  Without some logical layout even I can't find things on the web site.
 Well, I was being generous. It's your forum after all.
-Mike
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Resources it is.

And I deleted the FAQ's thread as well as another unnecessary one. Are things better?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, now that I see what is being done with the Resources subforum, that is obviously not the place for the rosewood thread. I should have posted it in the general discussion area. Since there hasn't really been any back and forth dialogue in the thread it should probably just be deleted once I write it up for the website. About the only thing holding that up is that I want to finish the bezels so that there is a full before and after comparison. I have not had a chance to do that yet. I was not happy with the Rustoleum clear coat and I'm having trouble finding the Duplicolor product that I used before. Anyway, if you want to clean up the Resources link go ahead and move it or delete it, as the full write up will be coming your way soon.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - No worries. My plan is to let people post suggested links or how-to's in the Resources forum. Then I will work with them to create a web page for the how-to, as we are doing, or create a link in a new or existing pinned-thread. And once that's done their thread can be deleted.

But yours isn't a page yet, so there's no hurry to delete it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Posts in recient to first?

reamer
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary
Is it possible to reverse the order and have the latest post on a thread at the top of page 1 instead of at the true end of the tread?
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Posts in recient to first?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ron - I haven't seen anything about that, but will ask.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by reamer
Or at least links to multiple pages/last page link like FTE uses.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Let me see if I understand.  You want the ability from the main page of the Bullnose Forum to go to the last page of a thread instead of going into the thread and then selecting the last page.  Right?

I think that is a reasonable request.  And, I will pass it on, as well as Ron's last-post-first request.  (I don't understand why anyone would want last-first, but I understand the request.  )

By "pass it on" I mean I'll go to the Nabble support forum and start a topic/thread on something like New Layout Wishes.  That's because the folks behind Nabble are to start creating a new Nabble soon, and we need to get our desires in there.  But, don't hold your breath on if or when these things will come.  They are doing it at their own expense, so it may not happen very quickly.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Yes, on FTE it has the thread name (link), the last page (link) and up to five prior page numbers (links). It's just easier to navigate from the thread list straight to the most recent activity, which I believe is the reason Ron suggested newest to oldest. I don't think I would care for that arrangement myself, as it would become awkward to read the thread in chronological order, but it would seem easy enough to sort the posts that way as a view setting.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, got it.  But, do you know that you can go to the top level of Bullnose Forum and click on Topics View, just to the right of New Topic, and get a chrono list of all posts to the forum?  I'm not saying that takes the place of "Last Page", but it can get you the most recent posts.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Couple of suggestions: 4 sub-forums

Picks86F350-351W
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
My 2 cents would be possibly into the references area that perhaps if people like to use certain sites to purchase related items they like the quality of or have had good luck with in restorations or  even a knowledge about car shows that they could post it for others to view at their leisure. I know from FTE I have found some helpful information and just googled a product in order to see where it might be found.  
Love the humor here by the way.
1986 F350 Styleside Crew Cab built in Canada with 5.8 L V8 351 Windsor engine, current exterior white, interior color Chestnut and black benches
Aspirations of white and red and black just like my kitchen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Couple of suggestions: 4 sub-forums

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pick - Good suggestions. However, let me see if I understand before charging off to do it.

We have the Resources folder, as shown below, and currently have within that the two folders of Electrical and Suspension. You are suggesting a folder for Suppliers and one for Shows - is that right?  And within those, if we did it correctly, there would be a topic for, say, LMC. And one for JBG, and one XYZ. And within that topic/thread people would give their experiences with that vendor?  Or, would the topics be by the part acquired, like one for dash covers, one for tires, etc?

I'm just trying to understand so I set it up correctly.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mobile Version?

Rembrant
In reply to this post by kr98664
kr98664 wrote
Does this forum have a mobile version? I do nearly all my surfing from an iPhone or tablet. The iPhone in particular has a lot of trouble, constantly getting kicked off, forcing me to sign back in multiple times.
I went searching for iPhone issues and found this post.

When I view the forum on my iPhone 8S, part of the forum screen is cut off. The upper part of the page appears to be centered OK, but the actual forum part itself is always cut off on the RH side.

Is this a phone setting or a forum bug?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is this true in landscape mode or just in portrait?  I have similar problems in portrait, as shown here:

But if I turn it to landscape it works fine, like this:

But does it do what he same for you?

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary,

Yes, same thing. Portrait is usually the same as yours (cut off), but landscape is usually OK. I think it was a specific thread (with a large photo) that was making it be cut off in both orientations.

Never mind...it's OK.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Are you viewing the forum in an app (like CrapaTalk), or in a true browser (like Chrome)?