1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ford transmission kick down cable [E5TZ-7F042-A] - NOS

Steve83
Banned User
Probably '85-91 V8 EFI w/AOD.  I think the 51" in this pic came from an '88 F150:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Close:

85 F150/350,U150 8 cyl 5.0L-EFI AOT E5TZ 7F042-A
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
I've never heard of an "AOT" transmission.  It's not mentioned in TSB 06-14-04 or any other Ford document I've seen.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's what it is called in some places in the MPC, like in the cable listing:

But look at this.  Talk about consistency?  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
If I was uploading those, I'd spell-correct all instances of "AOT" to "AOD".  AFAIK, "AOT" is not used in the service manual "Group 00: GENERAL INFORMATION; Section 00-01: Identification Codes; GENERAL INFORMATION; Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label", but I don't have any pre-'92 service manuals.  I've never seen it on parts store sites, or in charts like these:

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
My 1986 Service Manual refers to the AOD, if that helps any.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Yes, the world knows them as AOD's, but Ford called them both AOD's and AOT's.  

As for editing what I upload, I wish that I could.  Unfortunately it isn't easy.  Here's the long version:

From what I understand, which is minimal, PDF's are made up of layers.  When we scan a document in w/o OCRing it there's just the picture of the letters on one layer.  When we OCR that file we are given two options:

Regognize the pictures of letters as letters that are then put on a layer below the picture of the letters.  Those letters aren't visible to humans, although they can be searched by a computer.  And if there's an error in translation it doesn't impact what the user sees, although s/he may not be able to find what they are looking for in a search.

Convert all of the pictures of letters into editable text that replaces the pictures.  And, when errors in translation occur the whole look and feel of the document changes.

I've run several OCR programs, including Adobe Acrobat, on various files in both modes, and there are almost always errors.  And the lower the dpi of the initial scan the more errors there are.  On the master parts catalog, which is where the "AOT's" are, there are ~5000 pages, all of which are at a fairly low resolution, and the # of errors my OCR program flagged as suspect was staggering.  And, when I tried the OCR engine in "conversion" mode the pages looked radically different - so much so that correcting them would have been next to impossible.

Given that, I chose to OCR the MPC in "recognition" mode and then wade through the things the OCR engine flagged as questionable one at a time.  And there were 10's of questionable items per page, so even that was a daunting task.  And I know there are errors in it.  For instance, yesterday when looking for something I saw the search go right on by an instance of what I was looking for.  Sure enough, it had mistaken a "0" for an "O".  Fortunately the "picture" of the characters was still there so I could see what had happened and was able to correct the text layer.

I say all of that to say that I can't correct the MPC.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That's the way it is!

But, thanks to this site and other knowledgeable people out there, We can know that the AOT and AOD are the same.

Probably not worth the trouble for Ford to change the MPC.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I say all of that to say that I can't correct the MPC.
I'm still not saying you should or you have to, but I've used MSWord & similar cheapo word processors to replace frequent OCR errors.  I assume whatever you're using has a similar "replace" function that would allow you to find all instances of "AOT" or "A0T" (match case checked) and rapidly replace them all with "AOD".  But I understand if there are higher priorities.   It's something to consider on future OCR jobs, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't explain well.  Yes, I can replace all "AOT's" with "AOD's".  But you will never see the change.  The change will be on the unseen layer that is what is available for searching.  But I can't change the layer that you see as it is just a picture of text.