classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fluid Capacities

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just talked to Cody at Royal Purple.  They still recommend Synchromax MTF for the ZF5.  For the Sag/hydroboost unit he said "Max EZ is slightly better than Synchromax."  And there was emphasis on the "slightly".

Later in the conversation he said "If you want to keep it simple and use Synchromax in both I have no problem with that.  It meets the same ATF specs that Type F did and it'll work fine."

I asked how much fluid for the Sag/hydroboost and he didn't know.  He suggested that maybe having three 12-oz bottles of EZ would be enough, or four to be safe.  But if I go with Synchromax he doubts it'll take more than one qt/36 oz bottle.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You should ask Cody if they want to sponsor you and Big Blue!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
John, if you're so 'by the book' why was there any headache at all?
Good question, Jim. Dexron II which is clearly spelled out on my trans dipstick is no longer available. Supposedly, the later developed Dexron fluids can be used, however there is much controversy over the use of Dexron VI in my C6. Some say it ruined their trans. As such, I went with the closest formulation to Dexron II, that being the Dex/Merc. I had to read through a lot of stuff to make me happy and come to a conclusion on what to use.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Seems odd that Ford would spec 'GM' fluid, but it is what it is.

I don't have an automatic, so I can't really say.

I hope Dex/Merc is a good answer for my TC, because I don't want to go through that again any time soon.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
This thread comes up in the search results with a good title so continuing it...

For the 1986 10.25 rear diff non-LS, the book calls for 7.5 pints of 80w-90.
Looking at Amsoil Severe Gear and that site lists: 80w-90, 75w-90, 7w-110.

Do you guys stick with stock?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You came to this thread so you already know I'm filled with 75-140 front and rear.

Yes, my 10.25 is not LS
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks Jim - yep, your comment was what the search picked up on.
What was the reason? I've done some reading as I haven't ever done other than stock.
Seems like newer Sterlings use the 75-140.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I am going to say that the 75 w 90 would do fine in your diff. A little lighter when cold, but not enough to worry about.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks Steve. That's what the Amsoil tech recommended as well over the 80w-90.
Scott