Failed DEQ again

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Failed DEQ again

JimsRebel
"Ok just be make sure I understand clearly. I must get the left most circled and unconnected hose tied into the cat, by the muffler shop. I’m not even sure the cat I just had them install last week had a bung or not. But if I want to pass emissions I need to do it? "  .... snip

The output of the air pump has to possible paths, either or, not both. One ends up at the base of the carb... see the Rockauto link ...

http://www.rockauto.com/info/48/CX1378-FRO__ra_p.jpg

Motorcraft CX1378 @ Rock Auto

This just needs to be plugged for now, it is might be leaking exhaust gasses after your attempt to remove it.
The air pump flow can be toggled to the carb by that mess of selector valves just downstream of the air pump. The flow toward "Motorcraft CX1378" only happens if the computer selects it, which is only to keep the engine from back firing while coasting down a long hill.
The normal direct of the air pump air flow is into the cat.

Jim
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 300 C6, 9 inch 3:50, 235-15 tires, sway bars and skid plates, DS2 dist with GM 4 pin IGN module and no computer. still using the feedback carb; 3G ALT swap, PMGR starter; 150,000 miles, 2nd owner
Reply | Threaded
|

JimsRebel
In reply to this post by kristopherdb
Did the original Cat have an "air inlet pipe"?
Was it a dual Cat set up, with a pre Cat followed by a Cat?

Jim
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 300 C6, 9 inch 3:50, 235-15 tires, sway bars and skid plates, DS2 dist with GM 4 pin IGN module and no computer. still using the feedback carb; 3G ALT swap, PMGR starter; 150,000 miles, 2nd owner
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
When I got the truck that was all missing 

Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 8:44 AM
Subject: Re: Failed DEQ again
To: kristopherdb <[hidden email]>

Did the original Cat have an "air inlet pipe"?
Was it a dual Cat set up, with a pre Cat followed by a Cat?

Jim

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1669.html
To unsubscribe from Failed DEQ again, click here.
NAML

1985 4x4 F150 Flareside 6L Manual 4 with Granny gear
Reply | Threaded
|

JimsRebel
"I need more help on troubleshooting the solenoid. I don't feel clicking but the whole motor running could easily cover that."

Seeing how the Air Pump is just there for show and not part of the system, lets go back to just trying to pass the local emission test. So more info is needed.
Did it pass last year? Same test station location as last year? Do you have a history of failed tests?
Do you place the rear wheels on spinning load drums while trying to maintain 35 MPH?
Do they do an IDLE tail pipe sniffer only?

To test the solenoid just unplug the connector, ground one of the pins and 12 volt to the other. You should hear it click. If it does not work, meaning the solenoid does not energize, it will be rich.
The carb is forced lean when it is energized, you can also do this test at idle and hear the engine sound change when it goes lean.

Jim
Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
This truck has sat idle in a field with no service or startups since 2004, before that someone (I assume my step dad) had unplugged the egr, smog pump, exhaust and some other things. The truck ran but ran like a turd. While changing the plugs and wires I believe cylinder 1 plug was literally laying on the block behind the  a/c pump but its all on and running now. I had the local tire place put $1200 worth of new rotors, pads, lines, cylinders, tie rod, etc.... When I went and tested that day I blew a 2480 and a 220 or less is needed to pass. Then I went and bought the cat https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085UDUJK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and
and this muffler
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018JIZF4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I then took it in and paid $325 to get this connected. took it over and blew a 450 out of 220, drove it around to break in the cat and muffler and went back and blew a 390. That's where I currently sit. The gentleman at DEQ told me I was running to rich so I went looking for a vacuum leak and found the huge hole in the air check valve tube , took that out last night and ordered a new one which will arrive today.  

Im running low on funds and more importantly I only have 5 days left on my trip permit to get this thing passable. While looking around since I had the carb off I noticed this hose that goes nowhere and is just sitting there, I stuck my finger in it and it did not seem to suck or blow.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Don't forget the first suggestion I gave. Since you were not to far off to pass the inspection . . retarding the timing and letting the engine get hotter, may be all you need to pass the test.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb
I was attempting to look up how to do this last night per your suggestion. 

Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2017 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: Failed DEQ again
To: kristopherdb <[hidden email]>

Don't forget the first suggestion I gave. Since you were not to far off to pass the inspection . . retarding the timing and letting the engine get hotter, may be all you need to pass the test.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://bullnose-enthusiasts.12971.n8.nabble.com/Failed-DEQ-again-tp1563p1674.html
To unsubscribe from Failed DEQ again, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
You need a timing light to see where you are now. I would suggest about 4 degrees retarded from the factory spec. But who knows where it is now  :) As far as extra heat, its just some cardboard over the front of the radiator. Hopefully you can get in to have it tested with it hot.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

kristopherdb

Thanks guys!!

The way I see it proper cats and exhaust will burn off 1600 points roughly. Smog pump 400 and a vacuum leak another 400. We passed with a 16!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!  Congrats!!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Makes me so damn glad I don't have to deal with that crap!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
It is all about the $21 they get from the "participants". Believe that.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco