Electrical Gremlins

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Electrical Gremlins

beefman
I took Big Red over to my in-laws this evening just after dark. My headlights work great, which I was happy with (I haven’t had it out but once at night since I’ve had it and my headlights cut off but came back on almost immediately). Back on topic, everything seemed okay except on the trip over my turn signals weren’t working and my high beams worked, but the indicator in the dash for high beams didn’t. When I got back in to come home (was only there about 10 minutes to help my father in law move something) everything worked like a charm. Am I on the right path to check grounds? If so, where should I start? The truck was kind of cold on the trip over but was warmed up for the ride home if that matters. I’ve already got to get into the dash because I had the cab smoke issue where leaves got in there and tried to make me a 6’ tall 270 lb brisket. Any help would be appreciated. Apologies for any grammatical errors and failures to put paragraphs in - fat fingers and a smartphone don’t always mesh well. Thanks guys!
Grandpa's "Big Red" 1984 F150 XL
4x4, 302, C6, trying to get back in decent shape for a farm/pasture/hunting truck.

The New Red 2019 F150 XLT
4x4, 2.7L EcoBoost, Super Crew

The Big Truck 2017 F350 XLT
4x4, 6.7L PSD, Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Electrical Gremlins

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think your turn signal issues are due to the ignition switch.  As explained here (Electrical/Ignition Switch) on the Ignition Switch tab, the problem usually is that the grease in the switch is hard when cold and the switch doesn't fully come back to Run.  The ignition circuit is energized, but not some of the accessories, including the turn signals, clock, etc.

So, one thing you can do next time is to turn the ignition switch back gently and see if things work.  If so, if that works you'll either need to wait for hot weather to drive the truck, or pull the ignition switch and lubricate it.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

beefman
Thanks Gary! I’ll see what I can find.
4x4, 302, C6, trying to get back in decent shape for a farm/pasture/hunting truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
...or just replace the ig.sw., as the TSB in this caption describes:

But I'd check the headlight connectors for what this TSB describes - it happened to me a few times before I replaced the underhood harness (and the body & frame):

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I was thinking head light switch replace and check the wiring when you do it.
I would also look in to the head light relay harness either way as you will have brighter head lights and it takes the load off the head light switch.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree - check the headlight switch, but consider the relay harness.  I have some info on it here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/headlight-wiring-harness.html.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

beefman
Thanks for the additional info guys!