Edelbrock Pro Flo (Actual user and installer feedback)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Edelbrock Pro Flo (Actual user and installer feedback)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This sounds like a plan, and a good one at that.  Going with a complete system should solve a lot of problems.

But don't sink that stuff in the lake as someone out there will want it.  The BBK throttle body is a nice piece as I put one on Big Blue and plan to put one on Dad's truck.  And I had to look for a bit to find the EEC mount that I put in Big Blue and will need one like for Dad's truck.  And the fuel rail is probably the same I'll use as I'm going with a Trick Flow intake that has the small block injector spacing.  So you have useful stuff!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
The easy way:

Replace your instrument cluster with one that can interpret the CAN bus signals directly from the Pro Flo, like the Dakota Digital. Pull out the entire harness from the original ECU through the firewall and give it to someone who needs it. Run 3-4 wires to connect to your sensors on the engine and run your Pro Flo harness through the firewall so the Edelbrock ECU sits where the old one was.

Install a 1996 fuel tank and hanger/pump (find the one with the most powerful pump). Use the Pro Flo 4 specific fuel pressure regulator that mounts to the rail (use the one with the proper pressure for your engine build). Run fuel and return lines directly to the rails. Buy a fuel pump harness and wire on the pigtail for the 1996 sender. Run fuel pump wires through the Pro Flo harness.

Get an aftermarket throttle cable. Enjoy.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
A couple of notes, on the Ford in-tank pumps, there are two variants, 1985.5-1989 use a low pressure in-tank pump or pumps, a frame mounted reservoir and on dual tanks selector valves. 1990-96/7 the in-tank pump(s) are high pressure (up to 60 psi on 6cyl models) and the selector valves for the fuel supply and return are part of the FDMs (Fuel Delivery Modules) and due to a cross fueling issue there is a TSB that involves adding an external check valve in the fuel supply line to prevent cross fueling.

FWIW, the tank vent lines on the older trucks (Bullnose) are 3/16" tube and on dual tanks are simply teed together, later (1990 up) are larger, but still teed together, however, even the 460s with the hot fuel handling package had a 6 port fuel tank selector valve on the frame next to the front tank that controls the source and return routing of the fuel to the engine.

Second note, does the Edelbrock Pro Flo have any provision to either control or interface with a controller for a 4R70/75W or E4OD transmission. Both of these are computer controlled and will not work without a computer, not only do they go into limp mode, but to prevent damage do so at max pressure.

I am playing devil's advocate here, and asking the questions I had in doing the EFI conversion on Darth nearly 12 years ago. At that time bolt on TBI systems were what you could get as a bolt on, not a port injection and you needed a second computer to run the transmission. My cost at that point was over $3000 to go aftermarket after buying the $845 parts truck to get the mechanical parts needed to go to EFI and an E4OD. I actually did run Darth as a bank fired speed density (MAP sensor) system for a while until I had everything in hand to go to MAF/SEFI.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Yes, there are options for a transmission controller, like this one for example.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
Great info all, thank you.

AOD, so I've got a new lokar kickdown cable and bracketry for the proflo 4 to get that set right
Lokar throttle cable (cut to fit)
Lokar cruise control cable is backordered, but no big deal

Back when it was running, we replaced the dash gauges with a classic dash binnacle with autometer sport comp electric gauges with gps speedo.  no canbus, but all the sensors work etc.

When we did the fiveology racing EFI conversion a few years ago we put a new pump on the frame, so I got a new regulator to plumb in.  the ford compression fittings on the fuel lines had to be cut off...so that will be fun.

Harness is fully out, but there are all sorts of connectors dangling around in places that I have no idea what they are.  Will figure it out...most of them are likely irrelevant to getting it running.  Amazing how much cleaner the engine bay is without all that stuff.

sidebar:
Things I'll have available, in the hartwell ga or roswell ga area

2 wiring harnesses from an 86 -both are in questionable condition (there's no question, they are knackered)
2 ECC-IV's, one with a programmable tuned chip
a 3rd NOS 87 wiring harness that I bought out of hope and frustration

Edelbrock performer intake
BBK throttle body
all the air filter boxes/hoses
random other under hood stuff
fuel rail, with, IIRC 36lb injectors

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7Y48wXvA7Sa3kYmD8
Hartwell, GA, 86 XLT, 347 (302 original), MAF converted using fiveology kit w/95 EEC-IV), 4.56 gears, 4" lift.  Wiring is a disaster.
Non-Ford -
1971 Land Rover Series IIa 88"
1986 Land Rover Defender 110
1988 BMW 535is
2004 Land Rover Discover II
2020 Land Rover Defender 110  
Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
Littlebeefy wrote
Install a 1996 fuel tank and hanger/pump (find the one with the most powerful pump). Use the Pro Flo 4 specific fuel pressure regulator that mounts to the rail (use the one with the proper pressure for your engine build). Run fuel and return lines directly to the rails. Buy a fuel pump harness and wire on the pigtail for the 1996 sender. Run fuel pump wires through the Pro Flo harness.
I had not seen this EDL-17401 fuel pressure regulator...I'll order this one and return whichever one doesn't work, but this one looks much more suited to the issue at hand.  Thanks for the tip!
Hartwell, GA, 86 XLT, 347 (302 original), MAF converted using fiveology kit w/95 EEC-IV), 4.56 gears, 4" lift.  Wiring is a disaster.
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
They've come way down in price. The Baumann units were around $1500 12 years ago. That was when I bought a Bronco EEC-IV box for 5.0L/E4OD. It was after trying to get some sort of idea what I would need to get my shift points where I wanted them (no need to buzz a 460 up like a 302) that Core Tuning contacted me on EEC-Tuning.org (no longer around) and offered me a great package using an EEC-V box so I could run an MAF/SEFI system.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
I ended up using the stock fuel pumps for now, with the edelbrock fuel pressure regulator handling regulation and return line. Nothing rearward of my front fuel pump has changed.

You shouldn't need to keep any of the original engine harness if your ECU was only controlling the engine and had nothing to do with the transmission.

I also just installed a baumann US Shift Quick4 and swapped my AOD for a 4r70w. This thing has so much power now, with so many fewer problems. I feel foolish trying to keep everything all-original for so long.
1986 Bronco. 5.0L, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI, Baumann-controlled 4r70w, 3.55 gears, 31" tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
Been running it for a year now...Flawless!  I put the Bronco away for the winter, and when taking it out of "hibernation" I opened the door, rolled down the window, got out (purposely)reached in and turned the key........fired up instantly!  Love not dealing with pumping the gas and messing with a choke!
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Ditto here. Thing has worked flawlessly. My buddys have had similar experiences.

I really love it. It's the ease and dependability of a modern engine. All those people bitching about not being able to get their aftermarket EFI working must not be using a Pro Flo!
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
That's great.  I'm stoked to get it running again.  

If anyone is inclined to take pics of their engine bay and post that would be great.  Especially on the fender wells and firewall.  While I've removed the harness there are lots of connectors floating around.  I'm going to take some photos and post up as I progress, but pictures of finished product would be great frame of reference in this thread, and I'll do the same.
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I just happened to snap a pic yesterday after I cleaned her up for Bronco Supercelebration this weekend:

If you need a picture of something specific I can send it over, but the wiring is very simple and is mostly tucked away alongside the battery. Virtually everything is Edelbrock harness, MSD harness, fuel pump harness, 1-wire alternator and starter relay.

Virtually all of the wiring on the passenger side of the engine bay is new with the equipment (except HVAC and starter relay). So is all of the wiring that runs through the firewall behind the engine. All of the wiring that comes out of the firewall under the brake booster doesn't need to be touched (except to verify the neutral safety switch is still intact). Trust me: if you follow the instructions you can't really go wrong. The only tricky thing to remember is that the Edelbrock system is controlling the fuel pump via the ground connection (but you will see that if you follow the directions and don't over think it). Just message this thread if you get hung up or have questions.

BTW, I'm in ATL.

LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
She lives!  For the first time in a few years the 86 Bronco came to life this evening, courtesy of the ease of the pro flo 4 system.   Not quite done, but progress.  

1) evil energy fuel pressure regulator; gauge says 42lbs, but sensor reading says 119lbs...I can't imagine its 119lbs. I think I need to add vacuum to the regulator , so will do that in the morning and see if cna figure out why there is a mismatch in the pressure.  I think I also need to up it to 58 and make sure I selected the right injectors (35)
2) coolant temp...used the sensor that came with kit.  Not sure how to get the signal to the autometer classic gauge (replaced all the dash gauges a while back).  I tapped into the wire and got the proper signal to the dash gauge, but it sent everything else haywire - coolant temp in the app said -4 degrees, other oddness.  I assume there is a way to do this and just need to think it through; not set up for can bus.

Looking forward to finishing this up tomorrow!
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congratulations!!!  

It is such a good feeling when it comes to life, but there are always little wrinkles to be ironed out.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by dsstephens
Sounds like you are almost there. I had to run through the set up wizard several times myself. If the IAC drops to 1% or less (I think) while you are adjusting the throttle, you have to restart the whole process.

You MUST use vacuum reference for that fuel pressure regulator. Get some 4mm (5/32) vacuum tube and hook it up to one of the vacuum ports on the front of the throttle body.

I have ported D0VE heads and a Comp RV cam and I am using the 43 PSI to produce around 550 hp and 650 ft*lbs. I tried the 58 PSI regulator and it did not make a difference. The ECU just adjusts the duty cycle so you can honestly use either, I think.

I don't think you can tap the temp sender for your gauges. I installed a separate temp sender for my coolant gauge. That is probably what you will need to do. There are plenty of places to add it.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
Quick update here and possibly useful info for the next installer

1) ran a separate temp sender for the autometer gauge, worked the charm
2) had the TPS and fuel pressure sender wires reversed; same connector, just a DOH! moment, which was sending fuel pressure reading whacky
3) replaced original TPS with another one (TH42), that fixed throttle reading (out of box failure on other one), but now can't get it to return to 0 at idle
4) fuel pressure is still off, too low by about 10psi, so will be trying out new pump, another new filter, etc.  I'm using the 17401 58psi regulator on the end of the fuel rail, somewhat foolproof, so the problem is upstream.
5) starts run and will drive, but not well.  some backfiring, some bucking.  figure might be related to items 3 and 4 so need to get those sorted, but cyl 3 and 6 seem to be misfiring (swapped plugs, checked wires (new), same result)

it's a sweet sweet sound to hear that motor run after so many years...even if it isn't right yet.
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it is a sweet sound!  And it isn't unusual to have little problems to sort out on a project like this.  Keep on truckin', you'll get there.  

Reply | Threaded
|

dsstephens
In reply to this post by dsstephens
Quick update for posterity...

sorted!  

new fuel pump to ensure getting to the 58psi required -the old one was pushing around 40, so worked, but weak.

found a random post about recalibrating the tps with the pf4.  basically, at operating temp at idle, adjust the IAC screw on the throttle body, when TPS reads anything above 0, turn the key off for 10 seconds, then do it again, until the IAC reads down to the required levels (around 12 is what I did at Idle, iirc.)  this took about 8 cycles liek this I think to get the TPS reading at 0% at idle and IAC value in range.  

rigged up a pressure gauge and got the AOD dialed in (manually setting it wasn't hitting good shift point)

Now the only thing keeping us from driving it is survival mode of driving the bronco without a/c in this 90 degree georgia heat.  Picked up this harness for the a/c (it had factory a/c) so that's the next project for when can figure it out.

thanks all for the help!!!
Non-Ford -
1988 BMW 535is
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it going!