classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: EGR tube connector

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Really you could just back off a degree or two of initial timing.
I know I have my truck on the ragged edge with 89 octane. Some stations it's ok, others it knocks.

Why do you say you can't fit a DuraSpark distributor?
Plenty of 300's came with DSII.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
now i really have to wonder,  i went through the emissions book and i remember taking a bunch of stuff off that truck years ago.  i talked to nick and in fact, i removed the solenoid that controls the egr and got rid of the vacuum lines and the solenoid.  in effect we have been running with out it for years.  the truck had the exhaust leak at the manifolds for a while and now am wondering if that is what it's problem was all along.  since the new manifolds went on, granted we arent able to connect the pipe, but the egr wasnt working anyway and with the exhaust leak gone, it runs very well so now i dont really know what to think
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
What I remember on the EGR systems, there were three different styles I have seen on carbureted 300s. On has the passage as an internal one that consists of a hole in top face of the intake next to the carburetor that connects into the adapter under the carburetor and the EGR valve is bolted to it so all the passages are internal.

Second is similar, but had a long curved pipe that connected to an EGR valve with an inverted flare fitting in the actual body of the EGR valve.

The third was like the second but the tube went to the adapter and from there out to the EGR valve.

Truck being originally military, probably had California emissions. Every commercial vehicle I ran into in the Marines was delivered with a California emission system.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Well heck, if it's been disabled all this time I don't see a reason to mess with success.  

Maybe just put a plug in it and leave it.
David came up with the pre-EGR carb adapter a while back for someone else.
While that listing may be gone now, the part number sure isn't, and eBay is pretty good about matching results.

I forget the user/thread, but the OP pictured the EGR adapter painted blue with a crude block-off plate in place of the EGR valve itself.

HTH,
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2

It's this tube that run into the bottom of the EGR plate IIRC.
If you don't need the EGR and it sounds like it has not been working for a bit pull the adaptors out and use pipe plugs in the holes. I don't know if you have to do the EGR plate as mine is blocked inside with a small freeze plug. I did have to use the pipe plug in the exh. manifold of the EFI's that I run.

As for timing once you have the EGR ports plugged go for a ride and give a listen for "marbles" in the motor. Mine only did it when at a steady speed and gave it a little more gas for a hill.
I don't know where my timing is at as it starts and runs so I did not want to mess with it.

Now the 300s have an adjustable vacuum can, at least mine was.
A small allen wrench (3/32"?) fit in the vacuum nipple. Think I turned it 1/4 turn CC and went for a drive, if it made marble noise I turned it more.
I also tried 2 tanks full of high test and that stopped the noise so I knew it was a timing issue.
I have gone back to regular and have not heard the noise.
I think because the truck did not leave the yard of the PO and now with me driving the truck it cleared out any junk it the compression chambers.

I also had an issue with "milk shake" on the dip stick & oil fill cap and that was even with almost 4000 miles on it. I checked the oil the other day and no milk shake but I also removed & plugged the vacuum line to the charcoal canisters as a test to see if the PCV, vacuum is pulled off the top nipple, was the cause - more testing needed.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim;   I'm going to cut the pipe off today and get it out of my way.  to be honest i wish i could just mount the carb directly to the manifold and eliminate all that mess altogether.     After nick and i talked and realized the egr was gone already so to speak.    I remember the truck wasn't running so good, it was stumbling and acting strange in intervals.  I checked the carb and it was ok, and i noticed all the neoprene vacuum hoses and all the vacuum solenoids were broken and cracked so i tore everything out and re-did all the vacuum.  At the time, i thought the egr system on that truck was just like the egr in the 79 ranchero and i pretty much streamlined the vacuum and set it up similiar to the the way the rancehro was.  By doing all this the motor smoothed out and actually got 2 more mph.  Brutus always got 11 mpg no matter what, he started getting around 13 and had noticably more power.  he had a little more jump shout off the line which given my drive train, you take wht you can get.  Brutus is slow, but with the little extra jump shout, he actually did a burn out in the driveway.  Since i started this conversation with you i realized more things.  You know them big fords dont like 87 octane gas, Brutus never did, you always had to put at least 89, and that was pushing it.  He would pur with 93.  Since i did all that stuff years ago, we have used 87 with no issues from time to time.    So like i said earlier, i really dont know what to think anymore.     I'm going to finish up with the intake and exhaust today and cut the pipe and block it off.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
It looks like I did not use a pipe plug in the EGR plate but it is blocked inside with the freeze plug.

But I did remove the adaptor on the EFI manifold and used the pipe plug.

I used an impac gun and 6 point socket to remove the adaptor.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Dave.  i'm going to do the same thing.  going to autozone and getting a freeze plug and blocking off the plate and will pull the egr off and block that as well.  
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
my new manifold came with a plug, so i'm good there
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Cool
I did the freeze plug because I thought maybe coolant could make its way up to that point.
Because I use the EFI manifolds I run a water heat plate where the 2 manifolds bolted together.
So where the exh gases would be in the intake manifold I now have coolant.
Maybe I did not need to but better safe than sorry right LOL

You need to leave the EGR plate as a spacer to linkage and etc. line up.
I also left the valve bolted to the plate because I did not know at the time if I had to go thru an inspection and figured I could just hook a vacuum line to it to look like it worked  But I don't have to.
Others have cut the plate to remove the EGR valve but left the "spacer" and filled the holes with JB Weld to finish it off.
Many ways to go about the EGR issue LOL
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Dave  how long have you been running like this?    I did the stuff to Brutus about 10 years ago
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I forgot something.  once we got the truck started yesterday.  remember, the pipe is not connected, and all the other stuff has been gone.   for some reason i decided to grab the back of the egr valve and squeeze it and the engine killed.  i'm thinking by me doing this, i sucked to much air into the carb
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's highly likely.
Many members have issues where their trucks stall at idle if their EGR is opening -or- stuck open-.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
Dave  how long have you been running like this?    I did the stuff to Brutus about 10 years ago
I have only had the truck on the road since Nov. of 2019.
When I bought the truck (Nov 2015) I did a vary short test drive loaded it on the trailer, not safe to drive home so went back for it. When I got it home made sure the miss the motor had was not a motor rebuild and when I found it was good pulled the truck apart for the cab off frame rebuild.

I had 1 test drive around the block, 3 miles, that was a failure lost brakes & clutch linkage broke.
Got them fixed by next weekend and the test drive was 30 miles 1 way to work for a car show.
Truck sat a few weeks till I got plates and that is when I started driving & started hearing the marbles and made adjustments to stop it.

I was driving the truck almost non-stop up till it got to hot, no AC at the time.
Now that I have the AC working I will be driving and enjoying it more.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
It's all back together now and purring like Eartha Kitt  grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
Gary - if you want to file a picture for Brutus, it's in section 96. Ford, in their infinite wisdom, put the EGR tube in the thermactor illustration!
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's all emissions systems blowing something into the engine, right????  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by myrl883
Sounds like Mercedes, put the front damping mount for the 4 cyl Diesels on the 115 chassis in the front suspension section.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Myrl     I looked and see nothing like it.    Not sure if you read any of he other posts, but it appears the egr in Brutus has been gone for some 10 years now, i didn't realize until i started talking about it on here, and talking with Nick.  shen i redid the vacuum i got rid of all the solenoids and the egr was never connected.    I rebuilt the yfa and actually gained a few mpg.  That truck always got 11 no matter ac, not matter what.  it gets about 13 now.    i cut the pipe off the carb plate and am getting a different carb spacer.  Cant see any reason to connect any of it back, it hasn't been working in 10 years and the engine actually runs better, i can even use low 87 octane fuel with knock and ping ( although i dont ) but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.    Thanks so much for trying to find it
Nick and George
Owned since new