397 messages Options
1 ... 1617181920
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: E4OD For Dad's Truck

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I found a crack in the E4OD's case today, as shown below.  And, oddly enough, I think it has helped me make my mind up on where to have the tranny built.  I believe I'll go with Charley at Aspen.  I called him and he said the cracked case is only cosmetic.  However, he remembered our discussion and said that if he was doing a truck like I am he wouldn't want to use that case.  But, for $100 he has other cases.

In addition, he said that my '90 case isn't compatible with the reusable gasket.  But, he has later cases that are compatible with it, so he will use one of those.  And, he has later pans that have a drain plug.

My guess is that Steve, the teacher, doesn't have the spare cases.  And I know he doesn't have a pan with a drain plug as he said so.  Given that, I think I need to go with Charles.

And, the plan is to take it down to him on Friday.  He said that the best way to transport one is by plopping it on an old tire, so I've contacted the local tire shop and will pick one of those up tomorrow when I'm out to ship Darin/Oz's crossmember "down under".  Then, all I have to do is to figure out how to get the tranny from the middle of the shop out to Big Blue in the driveway - with Huck sitting on the floor 'twixt the lift uprights.  I may have to drop the cab back down and then pick the whole thing up so's I can roll the shop crane under it.

Anyway, one step back and two forwards still gets you there eventually.  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ready for the trip:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
" Then, all I have to do is to figure out how to get the tranny from the middle of the shop out to Big Blue in the driveway - with Huck sitting on the floor 'twixt the lift uprights.  I may have to drop the cab back down and then pick the whole thing up so's I can roll the shop crane under it. "

I usually just pick them up and set them in the back of the truck
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Are you using the old TC or are you getting a case hardened double clutch unit?
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bruno2
Young whippersnappers!  

There was a day when I may have been able to do that.  But, as the guy from Aspen and I discussed, it is quite a lift getting it in the back of a truck, and even more so Big Blue.  So, I might have been able to carry it out there, but getting it up into the bed would have been difficult if not impossible at my age.

A great man once said "A man's got to know his limitations."  And mine are becoming more and more apparentl.    

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruno2
The TC has to be matched with your camshaft...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Getting a new torque converter.  And it is upgraded but I don't know the details yet as we have to settle on them today.  I should be able to report back later on them.  But, it will be a later case that takes the new reusable gasket as well as a pan with a drain plug.  Those details we have settled on.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The camshaft is quite mild and the idle has no lope.  So I want a torque converter with a low stall speed.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, keep in mind the E4OD converter is a lockup one, but yes, a relatively low stall speed is probably good considering the low end torque of the 408.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
True, Bill.  But there will be ample torque to move it, and quickly, w/o spinning the engine up.  And keeping the stall speed low minimizes the heating when the torque converter is unlocked.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Took the tranny in and had a good conversation with Charles.  Didn't get into the details too much as he hadn't done the research yet on which torque converter he thinks we should use, but he did say that one of the biggest problems with the E4 is overheating due to unlocking the converter - just what Bill has been saying.  So I told him of my plan to keep it locked until 80% of WOT and he thought that is a good idea.

Anyway, he will pull the tranny apart, probably on Monday, and give me a call about what he finds.  Like, what needs to be replaced, what upgrades are in it, etc.  And, at that time he will have done the research so we can talk about the details and agree the plan.

But, he did say that the pan he will use is a 4R100 pan, which fits the E4 and has the drain plug.  And, he will use a later case than mine to take the re-usable gasket.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Damn, you mean I was right about something!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just got a call from Charley, the transmission expert.  Turns out that Huck's transmission was built by Johnny Cash for his Caddy as it has an '89 this and a '90 that and, and and.  He doesn't want to put it together with mis-matched parts, so will be looking for a mid-90's core that we can use.

Having said that, there are parts in the transmission that we can use.  For instance the center bearing has been upgraded to the latest style and the pump is also the later style.  But the planetaries are aluminum and need to be steel.  And the clutches aren't big enough to take the frictions it needs.

In any event, I'm convinced I took it to the right guy since some people would have used what was in it.  Others might have said I need to find another transmission.  But Charley says he'll not use the case he had planned to use to replace my cracked one, but instead will find a good core to start with.  That'll cost a bit more up front but will save money overall since there will be fewer parts to buy.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Charley called yesterday.  He's found a '96 E4OD from an F450 that he's going to use as the core from which to build Dad's.  He thinks it'll have all the upgraded stuff, like steel planetaries, and will be a good starting point.

At first blush it might seem that I shouldn't have purchased Huck since the plan was to use his tranny to build for Dad's truck.  But, had I not purchased Huck:

I wouldn't have gotten the transmission crossmember nor transmission cover needed for Dad's

I wouldn't have gotten the EFI 460 heads and exhaust, nor the cruise control, with EFI-specific cables, for Big Blue

Bill wouldn't have gotten as much radiator support hardware

Darin/Oz wouldn't have gotten the front crossmember nor the top of the cab

Brandon wouldn't have gotten the steering box and associated fasteners

Local friends wouldn't have gotten the hood and cowl

Other local friends wouldn't have gotten the serious bumper, front axle, and transfer case

And still others that I've forgotten (or don't know yet) wouldn't have gotten whatever they got, or will get

So, all in all, Huck was a good purchase.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
So, all in all, Huck was a good purchase.  
Huck was a heck of a good purchase!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I now have a "built" E4OD for Dad's truck.  

Picked it up from the tranny shop today.  Here are the spec's, as best I can relate them from what the invoice says, but it is what I asked for:

Pan: It has the deep 4R100 pan, which has a drain plug built in
Gasket: It is the later model case with the reusable gasket
Reverse Boost
Line Pressure - 500: The line pressure has been set to 500 psi instead of 270 to ensure the clutches will lock up
All of the upgrades, like the center bearing, steel clutch housings, HD pump, snap ring, etc
Clutches: He put all the clutches in that can go in, and he used different brands of clutches in different positions as those are the ones he likes for that purpose
Torque Converter: A B&I low-stall HD "bullet back" unit.  Apparently that means it has an extra-strong case, which was one of the problems with stock E4OD converters

As for warranty, it is two years from the point I fire the engine up.  Also, he recommends the new synthetic Type F.

And without pictures it didn't happen, so here's what it looks like:  

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Nice!

Interesting point on the line pressure. As I understand it, the pressure is varied by the ECU. Is 500 lb an upper limit?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think that is the upper limit, like you said.  That's probably the pop-off for the regulator on the pump.  Then the Electronic Pressure Control unit, which is controlled by the PCM, regulates the pressure that goes to the clutches.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I will have to find my E4OD overhaul manual, it vanished into the mess in Newport News.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That is a thing of beauty Gary! It must feel good to have both the engine and transmission built and ready to go in...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
1 ... 1617181920