Dual receiver bumper

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dual receiver bumper

Danny G
This is the truck that the seller ghosted me on before I bought my current project.

It had this bumper. Looks like it's probably custom, has anyone seen one of these?

1985 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dual receiver bumper

Steve83
Banned User
Definitely homebuilt, or at a local fabricator to-order.  Why would anyone want them asymmetric?  My front bumper is attached to the frame by the receivers (and other points).

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I've seen spare tire carriers and so forth stuck in receivers.  Having one offset to allow it to be used while towing wouldn't be a terrible idea.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Offset is probably for a winch.

You can hook up a trailer at the same time, with a couple rollers on the front and guide the cable down the center of the trailer.

But a receiver mounted winch is the only thing I could think of that makes sense.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
IDK why you'd want to winch offset, either.  You'd risk twisting the frame, suspension, steering...  And if you need a winch on your trailer, it's better to put it ON the trailer.  Even if that means adding a receiver on the trailer neck for a portable winch.  Bending a winch cable with rollers and going across a ball/tongue is just asking for trouble.  The cable would pile up on one side of the winch drum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve83 wrote
IDK why you'd want to winch offset, either.  You'd risk twisting the frame, suspension, steering...  And if you need a winch on your trailer, it's better to put it ON the trailer.  Even if that means adding a receiver on the trailer neck for a portable winch.  Bending a winch cable with rollers and going across a ball/tongue is just asking for trouble.  The cable would pile up on one side of the winch drum.
Agree fully.    Get the winch up above the deck height so it won't drag on the deck, and especially at the break to the beaver tail and/or to the vehicle when on the ramps.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
lol well I am at a loss of why it is there then.

Flag mount? Radio mount?
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
NothingSpecial already mentioned the one I've seen before -spare tire. Could also be used for a bike mount.
But with it being custom - no one but the owner will really know. Same for why they plated over the step
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Danny G
Why are you asking?  Do you own that bumper?  Are you considering building one?

You could have put your other bumper question into this thread - no point having 2 threads about receivers.  To answer THAT question: yes, I'm sure many people have done that.  Again: why are you asking?
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
It completely threw me for a whirl on what it was used for. I figured if anyone knew what it was for, why it was even considered, and the pros/cons of such a set up it would be those on this forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve83 wrote
You could have put your other bumper question into this thread - no point having 2 threads about receivers.  To answer THAT question: yes, I'm sure many people have done that.  Again: why are you asking?
This is a separate discussion. I'd rather keep separate. People may be looking for front hitch installation information (like me) and will see "Dual receiver bumper" and skip right over it. I am sure many people have put a front hitch on too... but that's not what the question was. The question was who has done it, and what did they go through. That type of questions starts a discussion about what parts people used, brands, did they have to weld it on or did they find a bolt on. Any hidden issues or lessons learned etc.