classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Driving, enjoying life and smiling!

1986F150Six
Administrator
This morning, the temperature was ~50F with no clouds and a gentle breeze. I opened the door of my 1986 F150, pulled the manual choke out maybe 1/16", depressed the gas pedal 1 time, turned the key and the engine was running. With a happy whine @ ~1300 RPMs, the tach was rock steady. As I backed out of my parking space, I was pleased with how easily the truck moved and noticed how quiet it is.

Leaving our house, one has to almost immediately climb a rather steep incline for a block before stopping at the 1st stop sign. At 10 mph, a shift into 2nd and the truck cheerfully stretches its legs. Once stopped and returned to 1st gear, the truck effortlessly began its trek into the next hill before leveling. No clutch slippage is required as the truck gets up to speed. Absolutely no bucking or hesitation at all. The heater was beginning to work within 1/2 mile or so.

I drove to a restaurant to pick-up a sausage and egg bisquit with a cup of coffee [$2.50 total! So nice getting coffee for free - Yea Seniors!]. From that point is a 8 mile drive @ 45 mph. As I drove along with coffee cup in hand, I enjoyed the ride and found myself smiling. Sometimes with the driver's window down, there is a slight rattle within the door, but with the windows rolled up, there is silence.

The 4.9L engine is much like a gasoline Diesel in its power characteristics. The power is there at low RPMs. It is not powerful, but is very relaxed. When the bed is loaded with maximum weight, the engine still performs the same and can be heard to whisper, "is that all you've got"? Shift from 1st to 2nd @ 10 mph; 2nd takes you to 25 mph; 3rd is quite happy to provide thrust up to the 45 mph level when O.D. can be utilized. At 45 mph in OD. the tach reveals 1250 RPMs. The engine is very happy and the ride is smooth.

Yesterday, on the way home, I filled up with $1.359/gal fuel as the engine is quite content with 87 octane. It took less than $15 of fuel. The oil level was on the max line.

Yes, life is good! I hope all of you enjoy your day!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Driving, enjoying life and smiling!

Rodeoclown
Reminds me of an '80 F-100 that I had years ago. Nine months of the years just get in and turn it over and it whispered to life. During the cold parts of winter, all that was needed was to just touch the gas pedal to set the choke. No tromp down or it'd be flooded.

Of course we were all younger then. I've been driving these trucks since 1988 when my father arranged for me to buy an 84 150 in my name out of the newspaper.

I've owned a number of them over the years, the bull-nose just seems to drag me back to them.

I understand the feeling of a nice morning cruise, just because.

These trucks are so easy to work on it's crazy.

My local mechanic thinks I'm a nut for keeping something so old on the road. I ask him is it easy enough to work on, he always responds that it's gravy, so what's the problem?

Parts are readily available and reasonably priced.

I just don't feel the need to go out  and spend $40,000 on a new truck that is a PITA to work on. I can't do anything to it if I wanted to.

I think I'll have to restructure some things to allow for a basic occasional cruise around, just because.

Thanks for the memories.

'86 F-350 4WD 5.8 C6 R/C SRW A/C XLT-under construction.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
Well said, David!  I'm envious.

It is cool here today.  Beautiful day.  Unfortunately the truck isn't ready to drive.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Well said, David!  I'm envious.

It is cool here today.  Beautiful day.  Unfortunately the truck isn't ready to drive.  
But, when it is ready to drive, it will say, "I've been waiting for you" and, "no, that is not all I have!" 

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And don't forget "There's a station up head - don't forget that's the only thing we don't pass."  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Well, been driving my truck quite a bit lately. Dump runs and other things that need a bed.

The other day I was thinking, man this truck is running good. Just fun to drive around! The gas prices aren’t as low here, but low, and makes it more enjoyable.

Glad I’m not the only one that thinks like that!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
David, I'm looking forward to doing the same thing soon, only then this long spring we've been enjoying in Alabama will be gone and the experience won't be as nice with the summer heat! Still looking forward to just driving the truck for the first time in 5 years.

Keep enjoying the cool weather, cheap gas and quiet times!
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
1986F150Six wrote
Yes, life is good! I hope all of you enjoy your day!
Well said David!

I took my old Bull out today to the DMV and after that to the RV shop to get some parts, and it is working so good this year I am really pleased with it! The "new" sliding rear window is a real treat, as is the smooth running 302 (no vacuum leaks now) and the tires and wheels (properly balanced, I think...lol).

I had a guy pull up beside me on the highway to give me a thumbs up on the truck, and another guy outside the RV shop told me how awesome it looked, so those little gestures so do make it all worthwhile in the end.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
And your truck does look good, Cory!
Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I think also if you have your favourite music playing  60s 70s 80s .......it takes you back to when you were  in your 20s.  ! Cheers nice truck .
1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
NZCOBRA wrote
I think also if you have your favourite music playing  60s 70s 80s .......it takes you back to when you were  in your 20s.  ! Cheers nice truck .
I'm still in my 20's and can't stand the music of today. When I'm older I'll be playing the same music from the 80's and 90's that I listen to now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm streaming 60's music in the shop.  Can't stand to work w/o music, and they stopped making music in about 1970.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by salans7
You guys and your fancy trucks with radios in them...lol.

I'll be installing my Kenwood soon. I'm getting ready to finish up some little Bullnose tasks.

In all seriousness, I rarely ever listen to music in vehicles anymore. These days I mostly listen to Podcasts, and I currently use a battery operated Bluetooth speaker in the truck when I drive it. I'll finish the stereo installation soon. Mrs Rembrant has had me busy working on the RV, so the Bullnose to-do list has been on hold.

Still, as David said, things are good, and life is good overall.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Every morning between 1am to 3am it is cool driving to work.

I don't have over drive with my 300 six but you are dead on how it runs, pulls and drives.

For music in the truck it is a local radio station but the other night coming home from work they were playing 80's @ 8, some good 80's music to go with an 80's truck.

I do spend a little more on gas than you and most do at fill ups of a flare side, I have 2 tanks LOL

Last 3 weekends taking the trash to the dump I have had guys say what a nice looking truck I have.
That does make all the hard work worth it.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Cory, your truck really does look sharp!

If I saw you, I'd stop you and tell you about this forum.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
Yep 60s, 70s, 80s for me , here's a pic of my car stereo i bought in 85 , i thought it was just right for the Lariat, Very expensive Head unit in the 80s NZ dollars Clarion 900E , my dad bought the equalizer booster 300EQB  in Singapore when he was on holiday . I showed him a picture of my truck before i bought it , and he passed away before i picked it up a few days later , anyway lots of good memory's  The flashing lights on the stereo make up for the lack of warning lights on the 86 Cheers

1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
NZCOBRA wrote
Yep 60s, 70s, 80s for me , here's a pic of my car stereo i bought in 85 , i thought it was just right for the Lariat, Very expensive Head unit in the 80s NZ dollars Clarion 900E , my dad bought the equalizer booster 300EQB  in Singapore when he was on holiday . I showed him a picture of my truck before i bought it , and he passed away before i picked it up a few days later , anyway lots of good memory's  The flashing lights on the stereo make up for the lack of warning lights on the 86 Cheers

I know you think of your dad while enjoying good tunes!