Distributor hold down question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Distributor hold down question

jstone4646
Which is the correct way of putting the Dist. clamp back on...flat side down or flat side up?...flat side up with an overlap makes the most sense to me but I just wanted to make sure.  Pulling the coolant hose would help me see in there a lot better but I was not trying to drain the coolant just to put the dist back in.

and excuse my lack of computer "drawing with a mouse" skills.  I am still having trouble getting this stupid thing back in right....I am about to go buy a threaded post and run it in, then just use a lock washer and bolt on top of it.  Seems 100% easier that way than trying to contort my meat hooks down in the small space holding the clamp and bolt at the same time while fishing for the hole blind.

Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Distributor hold down question

Rembrant
Just checked my 302 and it is flat side up with the overlap on the distributor.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  That's the way mine is as well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by jstone4646
It's a "hold DOWN" - it has to overlap the base of the distributor.  I don't think it would even fit upside-down.
Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
Seems right to me that it's a hold down.  It doesn't make much sense to just be pressed against it but like I said I just wanted to verify!
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.