classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Dave's '82 F100 Work In Progress...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry for the loss of your tools and parts.  Hopefully they will all find their way back home.  

But what you've done looks very good.  Especially that cowl.  What screen did you use and how did you hold it to the cowl?

As for the rear spring & hanger, I'm not sure I understand what the issue is.  I took the rear springs off both Big Blue and Dad's truck and changed out the bushing w/o removing the hanger.  Or at least I think I did.  So can you help me understand what bushing is the issue?  Maybe a pic?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Djtorello
Djtorello wrote
Replaced only 1 rear leaf spring bushing. I tried unsuccessfully to press the bushing out, which seem to make things worse.  I had to burn the bushing out, new poly bushing went in with no issues, then i was unable to realign the leaf spring with its mounting location.  I tried unsuccessfully to remove the rear shackle,  one half of the plastic lower bushing fell out, the other side i could not get out, as it was right up against the frame.  As well as the top bolt from the shackle was right up against the bed, how the Firetruck (starts with F, ends with uck) do you get it out without removing the leaf spring from the axle and without removing the bed?  I've watch multiple video's on the removal and replacement of those bushings, and i had nothing but problems.  It took my nearly 8 hours to replace 1 bushings and realign the leaf spring. What a mess.
The trick I use for removing the old rubber bushings is I use a drill. Either a 3/16" or 1/4" drill bit, whatever fits, and keep drilling the rubber out. You might have to work the drill bit on an angle sometimes, but it usually only takes a few minutes and then I knock the center sleeve out. Then you can use a hammer and chisel a remove the bushing outer metal shell. If it looks like it will be tough, you can cut a slot in it with a hack saw, and then it will peel out of there even easier.

As far as the rear spring front bushing not lining up with the hole, it's probably because of the resistance in the rear shackle when you're trying to lift the axle. It's driving the spring forward of the mounting hole in the bracket?

My 2 cents...for what it's worth, is that I would pull the springs out of the truck for service. If the axle u-bolts are really rusty I just cut them off and replace. The local spring shop will make up new ones pretty quickly, and they're not expensive. If the nuts will unscrew and you can re-use the u-bolts, then 100%!
The lower bolt in the rear shackle should be removeable isn't it? Then you can deal with the upper bolt with the spring pack out of the truck.

For reinstallation. I'd install the spring on the frame first (forward bolt first, then the shackle bolt second), and then lower the truck down on the axle.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The mesh is from an old satellite dish that was on the property.  I used the same primer/paint i used on the frame to darken the mesh.  

And here are the rear shackles, top and bottom bushings.  The top has the frame and bed in the way, the bottom Doesn't move far enough for me to remove the inner plastic bushing.

1982 Ford F100, 4.9L (300ci) L6, C6.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On the rear spring mount the way I would do it is support the truck by the frame so the axle will hang or better yet if you have wheel dollies set them under the wheels but no weight on them.

Undo the rear lower bolts, both of them, leaving the top ones as they cant be removed yet.
Now undo both front spring mounts and lower the axle with wheel on it to the ground or dollies.
You should be able to move the axle forward enough and low to now remove the top bolts and bushings.

The only think that  may limit you is the rubber brake line and vent hose.
The vent hose is easy if is even still there.
The brake line a little harder with out opening the system but you may be able to rotate the axle / spring(s) to work on the rear bolts & bushings.

Once all bushings have been replaced you cant tighten any of the bolts, goes for the front suspension also, till the weight of the truck is on the suspension.

My bed was not on the truck when I R&R the rear suspension so did not have to deal with what you are going through. My rubber bushings looked good so I left them but up front I went with poly bushings.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100