Coolant thermostat

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Coolant thermostat

old55pete
I have been trying to figure out an high idle problem and noted that the engine temp is running at the leading edge of the normal part of the gauge. I put a inductive thermometer on the upper hose and it is reading between 165 and 170. If I know me, I put in a thermostat that fails in the open poshion and it has failed. I also know that if it is running to cold that the EEC IV will keep the idle up higher then normal if the engine is not up to temp.

Here is the part I don't get, I am finding thermostats ranging from 160 to 205 deg. I know that it should be 180 min and 190 promotes better combustion, but what was the factory thermostat temp?
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Coolant thermostat

Gary Lewis
Administrator
195 as shown here: Documentation/Cooling Systems/Thermostats.

EDIT: Most ones you find will be 195, but the factory temp was 192.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Coolant thermostat

old55pete
Thank you Gary, I must have missed the tab in the cooling system portion for thermostats.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC