Compressor question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Compressor question

CRittaler
I would be limited to 125psi which is fine.

Thankfully all my compressors are oil bath type.

I know this pro air system was scabbed together. It was supposed to have a 6.5hp oil less compressor.

My plan is to replace the bearings on the motor and see how it runs as is. I don't expect the 1/2hp motor it came with to fill the tank quickly, but it would be good to see. I also have no idea what the cfm of the pump head on it is.

I do plan on taking apart the outlet plumbing and cleaning it up some.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
The bearings arrived and I was able to spend some time changing them out on the motor.

Took the motor apart and man was it dirty.

Also it turns out that it was wired for 220V, even though it had a 115V 15A plug on it.

I cleaned it out and swapped in the new bearings and rewired it for 115V, then put it back together and hooked it back up.

Initial run built very little pressure which I narrowed down to the reed valves being stuck and a leaky bleed off valve.

Once I had that freed up and plugged off I ran it again and found the pressure gauge was faulty as it was slowly building pressure but not indicating such.  Once I replaced the gauge and drained the tank I found that this compressor head was quite tired.  It took 26 minutes to fill from empty to 125psi.

I ended up taking everything off of my Craftsman 20 gallon and swapping it onto this tank.  Now it takes ~7.5 minutes to fill from empty and I have a spare 1/2 HP motor.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like you put together a really nice system!  Well done!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI