21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Chrome: Whitening / Rusting

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
Hi people,

Less than two years after installed, some new LMC chromed parts began to show some weaknesses.

1- Bottom mirror arm bracket began to show little rust spots (both driver an passenger sides).
The upper brackets are ok.

I can clean the little rust points, but they come back.

2- On the front truck bezels, the upper and lower metal strips began to fade out, I mean the chrome is goin “white”.

I tried to clean it, nothing works.  Looks like kind of protective coating that was factory applied.

Remember that Big Brother never goes on salted roads, and the only water that falls on is when I wash and clean him.
He sits in a well vented and not heated garage, not exposed to sun, snow or rain.

The problem seems to accelerate this year.
These are the only 4 chromed parts I have issue with.

Thoughts?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Chrome: Whitening / Rusting

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Good morning Jeff!

Another member just showed how effective his ultrasonic tank is at cleaning chrome.

The rusting is an issue, because obviously it's not the chrome (chrome protects itself with an invisible oxide layer)
The issue is super thin 'flash' plating and none of the "proper" under plating.
Copper first, then nickel, THEN chrome.
Copper and nickel CAN'T rust, and both are used because they bond tight to steel, whereas chrome really can't get a good footing.

But this is what you get when you ask China to make X for $0.50 each!
Perhaps you should go to the vendor reviews and bring it up.

Last year I subbed (tagged) the head of Ford parts for LMC to that thread and explained in no uncertain terms some of the issues we have. (Like the body bushings being mislabeled.... but the right part is there!)

Feel welcome to vent.  😁
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
this is the type of rusting that we sometimes get after just cleaning an old chrome part. but you say that you bought these a few years ago new as replacements? unfortunately, there is really only one fix. a proper re-plating. probably not super expensive if you can just have the two lower mounts done.
as to the grill pieces. these are not chrome! they are anodized aluminum. this fades with age and yes, the replacements fade faster than the originals did. there is no polishing them really.    I wish there was a chrome option. I've considered asking about whether they could be chrome plated but I have not inquired with a plater yet
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
For the front bezels, it really looks like a coating.
I scrubbed with a compound for metallic surfaces I had here, and it can be removed.

But it takes forever for just this small surface…

Anyway, I emailed LMC with details, let’s wait and see what they’ll answer.

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Anodizing IS a surface treatment...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rockhauler
Jeff I was lead to believe the aluminum pieces that are polished have a clear coat applied to slow the oxidization process. Looks like your trim coating isn't UV stable.

Over here in Sudbury Ontario I've been struggling keeping rust at bay on my truck that gets parked for the winter to avoid the salt. Last few years our local climate seems to be much wetter than past years. I just spent 12 hours scrubbing the fascia, eaves trough and siding on my house to remove lichen and other crap. Been in this house over 30 years and this issue just started the last 3 or 4 years.
Paul
1930 Ford Coupe basketcase
1985 F250 Ext Cab Lariat 6.9 diesel 4 speed
1986 F150 Ext Cab short box Lariat 4x4 300 6cyl 4 speed with overdrive
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Paul - Looks like we have similar growing humidity phenomenon here too.

My hay provider complains he has difficulty to harvest since couple of years (farmers family since 100 years).  It’s difficult to have more then 3 sunny consecutive dry days.  Not necessarily huge flooding, but constant and regular rain sequences.

But despite those observations,  it’s difficult to accept that brand new parts begin to rust so fast (mirror lower brackets).  The upper brackets don’t have this problem.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Everything is made to a cost...

You need to point out to Mr Dickson that disappointment in garbage products is ruining LMC's reputation, regardless of the profit they pull in.

Hard to stay in business if no one is ignorant enough to buy from you. 💡
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
I think I am mostly done with LMC unless they sell one-of-a-kind. If there is another source for the same product, I've made up my mind to stay away from LMC. I've had to rig things up due to poor fit.... just in my 78 Bronco... the speedometer cable was too long, the gas tank vent stub location was in the wrong spot... i'm forgetting a couple other things.. I've also had good luck with them on other stuff in the past... but generally speaking they do sell one-of-a-kind stuff and where their value lies.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with a 460 from an 86 Bullnose/C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let’s let Keith know what is being said. I’ll tag him.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by viven44
Y'all need to go to the vendor reviews/feedback and let Keith know how badly LMC is failing.

It's not like the holding company or investment group that is choking the life out of them gives a damn!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I already tagged him to the vendor reviews.

..... Crickets

What's the point when you've sold your soul?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Amen !  Almost a year now and nothing on gas door bumpers 85 F150 or did I miss that ? CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm subscribed CJ, and I don't have any notifications.

I think it was Cory who properly identified the bumper you're looking for.
I probably would have put a glob of RTV silicone and called it a day
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Well the nice thing to know is that "chrome" aka chromium 6 is being banned pretty much everywhere so adopting alternative options may be the future.

The ultrasonic cleaner does work great on rust and chrome without having to do any polish work. I am using a 1:1 ratio of simple green concentrate and water. But it can only do what it does on what fits. I have about 19~20 inches of length in my 30L unit. Aluminum and copper brightwork though you should be able to hit it with gray scotch bright followed by white and put a decent polish on it but it's going to corrode and go white on you without any protection.

I'm tinkering with nickel plating some parts soon to see what kind of a shine I can get.
1985 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hexavalent chrome is a very nasty carcinogen that is incredibly pervasive in the environment.
Once it affects a community or aquifer everybody is pretty much screwed. (see Erin Brokovitch)

Ruger gun plant near me contaminated the Saugatuck river so bad they had to close the plant and relocate from Southport.
Kodak too, along with a bunch of pigment and dye companies...
You only have to screw up once.

Nickel may not be quite so bad, but metallic salts (in general) are not what you want to play with.
For a nice shine, prep and the surfactants used in the bath are key, as is controlling the voltage & current.
Those British guys in the video do a great job explaining it if you've been following them for as long as I have.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Just an update, to inform you that… I have no update.

Two weeks after my email to LMC’s Customer Support, no sound, no image from them.

Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They actually have a "customer support" organization?  Well, maybe in name only?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
tu m'étonnes. 🙄

CJ has been waiting a year....

They can't even correct a part number that they already have for body mounts (and LMC has been aware of for multiple years)

I really had high hopes that some of this "stuff" would get straightened out when a person who knows better was hired to head the Ford parts section.  🤡
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
I have the same deal. No response.
1985 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow