classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
83 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cheap Chinese carburetor... WARNING

rcarlisle
This post was updated on .
[Feb 5, 2022]Today's drive went well.  The idle went way high at first stop sign leaving neighborhood.  Then settled down.  Just takes a little longer to get to curb idle than I think it needs to.  This could be the heat getting to choke cap too slow.

[Feb 6, 2022]  Same results.  I think we are basically done with this.  I may try an electric assist choke cap to get choke to finish opening faster.   At this point, the engine is in it's normal warm zone on gauge a bit before the idle drops completely.  

Any further adjustments will be small incremental adjustments.  

Thanks for ALL your input and support working through this.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Choke adjustments and Cheap Chinese carburetor WARNING

rcarlisle
I finally tried the electric assist choke cap from the Chinese carb.  And it made it even better.   In my normal commute, I have a stop sign at 1/4 mile, 1 mile, then  at about the 4 mile mark.   Up to now the choke would never get to hot idle or was taking way on up to 7-8 miles to come off completely.  

This morning, it was at hot idle at the stoplight after the 4 mile, which is likely about 6 mile mark.  So all of you that said electric assist cap were right.  Dang it. get those "TOLD YA SOs" out now.   I really didn't want to run that wire.   I need to redo some of it.  The stator post was missing any nut or washers.   I found a nut.  I need a better ring terminal and maybe a couple washers that fit the post right.  All I had was one of those U shaped terminals and it was too small.   But this was for testing purposes, so I can find the parts to do it right soon.  It works more properly now.  

Cold start, full choke idle jumps to 1600, which is too fast; need to set that back a little.  Second step is 1200.  So maybe that cold could be 1200.   Then a step between cold and hot.  I did set the cold idle to 1600 when hot, but it jumps up there full cold too.  

Hot idle is about 700 right now. May dial that back a touch too.
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Choke adjustments and Cheap Chinese carburetor WARNING

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No "told ya so" from me.  I'm just glad you are getting it dialed in.  And, I'm happy to know that there is a full-electric cap that works on these carbs.

GM ran full-electric caps for years on their cars and they worked fine.  Maybe not quite as well as some other approaches, but they worked.  So that cap can help a lot of people who have rusted-out hot air tubing.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI