Ceiling Corrosion

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ceiling Corrosion

Sideflop
Today I was looking at the rain gutters of the truck with plans to replace the caulk in them and the other cab seams at the roof, but I noticed that a hole rusted through the roof over the passenger door. This seems to be the worst of the cab corrosion aside from a hole in the floor. I'm thinking about going to Eastwood and getting either their rust dissolver or their internal frame coat to treat this nasty spot and the other surface rust in the ceiling. Does anyone have a better idea of what to use? The last photo is of the back of the cab, which seems to have pretty mild corrosion compared to the spot over the passenger door. If I could get a camera past the sheet metal where the trim attaches, I would've gotten better photos.

Nathan
1984 F250 XL with International 6.9L IDI, Borg Warner T19 transmission and Borg Warner 1345 transfer case. Dana 50 limited slip front end, Dana 70 open rear end with 3.73 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ceiling Corrosion

Angelo Voltura
Unfortunately its getting to the point where the only real way to get at that is to sandblast and cut/remove bad metal.

Best thing I can say is blast the top half and lay some Loctite Rust Neutralizer, it will convert existing rust (after cleanup) to a primable surface.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Angelo Voltura wrote
Unfortunately its getting to the point where the only real way to get at that is to sandblast and cut/remove bad metal.

Best thing I can say is blast the top half and lay some Loctite Rust Neutralizer, it will convert existing rust (after cleanup) to a primable surface.
Yep cut the rust out and replace with good metal.
It would be nice if you could find a good roof and weld it on.
I have a buddy that his parts truck roof is the same way. I told him I want the truck when he is done with it for the frame & suspension.
The cab need the normal patches and I can / have done that but coming up with a roof could be hard.
I have even given thought to cutting apart my parts truck roof so I can get it back into shape, it rolled over, and see if I could use it?

Any way after you have good metal to work with you can then use the frame coater. I have used it on a 1 year only hood that had been in storage for 20 years and was like new unlike ones you find. We wanted the hood to stay around a long time.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Sideflop
In reply to this post by Sideflop
I had a feeling it would be best to cut out the bad metal. Good thing I have a friend with a welder.
Nathan
1984 F250 XL with International 6.9L IDI, Borg Warner T19 transmission and Borg Warner 1345 transfer case. Dana 50 limited slip front end, Dana 70 open rear end with 3.73 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
A section of Huck's roof made it all the way to Australia! 😆

When the caulking goes in those gutters water will sit in the seam for a long time.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, and the rest of Huck's roof is still here.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Dave, you better get on the AMC or your wife is going to disown you....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Dave, you better get on the AMC or your wife is going to disown you....
Just collecting parts when they come up for the next project
Tell the truth I like the metal work before the body (filler) work and after a put quarters on the car it is the body work on them, they rest of the body work has been done.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100