Broken driver door glass

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Broken driver door glass

jstone4646
I need to replace my driver door glass on the 85 (shattered it last night when testing various electronics, motor was off track and jammed it up good) and found an 89 F150 in the local junkyard but she has crank windows.  I know that 89 doors are compatible with an 85 including windows, but is the glass any different between crank windows and electric windows?  As in how it mounts/holes in the glass or anything like that.

Thanks!
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Broken driver door glass

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You might want to look at this page, Interchange and on the Glass/Window tab.  The change of window isn't quite what you think.  But, it is doable if you bring the vent window from the '89.

As for electric vs manual, the glass is the same.  Just the mechanism differs.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
Good to know, thank you sir.  I will make sure to grab both the main glass and the vent window.
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You also might want to search for "window" or "vent window" in the Interchange thread.  I think you need the divider bar as well as the glass and vent window.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
The divider bar is wider on the later trucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Whisler
I have door glass (both sides) from my '84. Where are you located. I am in Northern KY across from Cincinnati OH. Maybe we can work something out.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by jstone4646
jstone4646 wrote
I know that 89 doors are compatible with an 85 including windows...
Not exactly - not unless you change some other parts.  Read this caption:

jstone4646 wrote
...is the glass any different between crank windows and electric windows?
No.
jstone4646 wrote
As in how it mounts/holes in the glass or anything like that.
There are no holes in any of the glass on these trucks.  The door glass (main & vent) is pressed into a steel channel using a rubber strip as an "adhesive" (but it's not actually glue).
Gary Lewis wrote
I think you need the divider bar as well as the glass and vent window.
The divider is part of the vent window frame.

Reply | Threaded
|

jstone4646
I was able to acquire door glass from an 88-91 F150 (yard did not have the exact year marked but it is that body style).  I did not have enough time while at the junkyard to pull the vent window and associated frame before they closed.  I will need to do that tomorrow.  I did have time once I got back home to test fit the glass into the 85 and I can confirm it is not an exact fit like you guys have mentioned.  It is extremely close but just a tad bit too narrow, maybe about 1/4" or so.  Like I said I will be heading back to the yard tomorrow and pull the vent window, and necessary framing/seals.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you knew going in what all was required.  It would have been a real bummer to have gotten home expecting it to fit and it didn't.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by jstone4646
jstone4646 wrote
I did not have enough time while at the junkyard to pull the vent window and associated frame before they closed.
There are just 2 #2 Phillips screws on the front of the door (often partially-obscured by the wind seal), and a 7/16"(11mm) bolt under the door panel.