classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bracket for 7.5 460

TravelMaster
Hello,

I've got an 87 TravelMaster RV which is based on the E-350 and it has a V8 7.5 liter 460.

The previous owner had a problem with the compressor and decided to remove the whole compressor brackets and his mechanic got rid of them.

I've managed to track down 2 of 3 missing brackets so I'm just looking for the last one which is proving elusive!

Anybody know of some place I can get this bracket?  Does anybody have one lying around?  I really wish I had the shape and dimensions as I could have a friend cut one on the waterjet.

It's listed as a 19D897 also part number 2889:

I was able to get 2 out of 3 of the brackets from Spalding Auto Parts in Spokane Washington but their lots didn't have this last one.  If anyone has one or has even a clue of a salvage yard that might have one please let me know!

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bracket for 7.5 460

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sorry, but you were requested in the email I sent you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and introduce yourself in a new thread there.  Not post first in the Want To Buy section.

We are very strict on the guidelines and want everyone to have read them so they know what is expected.  So please assure me you've read them.  And, after you've done your introduction post perhaps someone will come forward with the parts for which you are looking.

Also, once you done that I will address the part number - and 19D897 is not a complete part number.  It is a BRACE (AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR) and that's the generic number used for an A/C brace in every Ford vehicle produced from 1964 to day, anywhere in the world.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

TravelMaster
Sorry Gary, I've been having problems with my email today.

I just did an introduction post!  Here:

Thanks for the cool forum it seems like a really cool community glad to be a part and make some friends.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We'll get there.

Ford part numbers.  First, there are three parts to a part #: Prefix that tells what it is for and when it was designed; generic number that is used on all Ford vehicles everywhere; and the suffix.  Second, any number on a part is not a part number.  It is an ID or engineering #, which is different from the part number but can usually be cross-referenced to the part number.

Your 19D897 is BRACE (AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR).  And the Master Parts Catalog says that an 83/87 E-F100/350 - - 7.5L takes part # E3TZ 19D897-A.  I'm not sure that having that number will help you, but at least you know that any 1983 - 87 E or F-series vehicle w/a 460 and factory installed A/C should have that part.

And to help with the part number decoding, the E3TZ means:

E = the decade of the 80's
3 = 1983 - the year it was designed and usually first used
T = truck, which normally means the F-Series pickups but in this case it is also used on the E-Series vans
Z = replacement part

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I realized last night I have one of those brackets, as shown below.  And, while I don't want to sell it as it is part of a whole "kit" to put A/C on one of these trucks, I could measure it & draw it up so you could have one made.  It is a piece of 5/16" plate and it should be easy to fabricate.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
I realized last night I have one of those brackets, as shown below.  And, while I don't want to sell it as it is part of a whole "kit" to put A/C on one of these trucks, I could measure it & draw it up so you could have one made.  It is a piece of 5/16" plate and it should be easy to fabricate.

The "bat wing" is different for the 300 six motor.
I lost 1 off the motor before I could get the AC working and had to make 1 and because it was from alum. I made 2 to match.

Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

TravelMaster
Yeah that looks like the one Gary!  That bracket is like unobtanium around where I live!  I've called 7 or 8 salvage yards today and nobody had anything earlier than an 1989.

If you have the time and skills to CAD it up I would appreciate it!  I could paypal some dough for your time as compensation or just pay it forward in the future somehow...

As a second choice if you have a flatbed scanner and you can scan it in as a 1-to-1 ratio and send a PDF of the scan, I can import it into Corel or AutoCAD and trace it out and make a DXF out of it.  I've done that with a bunch of non-purchasable gaskets over the years for compressors and different motors and we've used a friends Epilog laser cutter to cut them out of either cork or rubber.  Works like a champ!  

You start to think in very different ways when you have the skills and equipment to just go grab the old gasket, scan it, CAD it and then cut it - It's weird but when I was younger I used to only be able to just go research/buy stuff, now with the age of 3D printers, laser cutters and CNC machines you can make a whole lot of things yourself.

I've got a friend with an entire machine shop full of Haas CNC machines and a Haas CNC lathe and I have a friend has a hookup with a waterjet machine who can probably cut it out for a low cost.
Reply | Threaded
|

TravelMaster
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Dave,

Those aluminum brackets look pretty dang good for a replica!  How long have you been using them?  I bet you had one already for the 300 so you had two made because the 300 used two right?

Did you go with aluminum just because you had it available or to reduce the weight?  I bet aluminum is probably okay just due to how thick it is for this particular bracket.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by TravelMaster
Sounds like you guys have a plan but I've got one I pulled off an 86 460. I need it for a future project (long ways away) but happy to send it to you if you want to send it back when you have one made.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have the skills to do CAD, but not the time at the moment, what with the show going on and the work on Big Blue.  (Check out the show: Truck Shows/2020 Truck Show in the menu.  You can enter, but time is limited.)  But I can try the scanning approach and send the pdf to you and you can see what you think.

Or, take Scott/kramttocs up on his offer.  Maybe it would be easier to draw it yourself than start from a pdf?

Which approach do you want to take?

Reply | Threaded
|

TravelMaster
Gary,

If you could scan it and send it I think that would be the fastest route to success!

That way I'm not inconveniencing you or Scott more than I already have.  I can post the DXF file here when I'm done with CAD so anyone in the future can benefit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, let's see if this works.

Here's the pdf that I think you can download: AC_Bracket.pdf

And here's a marked up view of it:

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
TravelMaster wrote
Dave,

Those aluminum brackets look pretty dang good for a replica!  How long have you been using them?  I bet you had one already for the 300 so you had two made because the 300 used two right?

Did you go with aluminum just because you had it available or to reduce the weight?  I bet aluminum is probably okay just due to how thick it is for this particular bracket.
Thanks on the job done.

I have been using them for about a month maybe a little longer but made them months before as I did not have a compressor to mount at the time.

When I got the full AC brackets I had 2 of them and had them bolted to the main motor bracket.
I guess I did not tighten the bolts up on 1 and driving down I heard something bonce off the bottom of the truck and thought I hit something on the high way. Few day later when checking the oil I seen it missing

I work for a trucking company that has its own body & repair shop. I kept looking in the scrap trailer and 1 night I seen the alum. plate. Think maybe left over from a dump truck repair?
I figured being alum would be easy to work with and thick to not flex.
It was not that easy to work with but is thick enough.

I was only going to make 1 but the OCD in me could not have 2 different "bat wings" LOL
But I was lucky I had the 1 to use as a pattern to make the 2 from alum.
If you did not know they should be metal you would never know it.

I also enjoy making things like this or the metal ribbed bed floor or the driving lights in the front bumper.
I get into a zone, tune everything else out and do the job at hand.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

TravelMaster
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Okay I had a little bit of time to work on this so here:

I think I got the part mostly correct in the dimensions but I still think something is a bit off.  Perhaps due to reflections in the scanner.

Does anybody know of a good place for long term file uploads?  Most sites either don't tell you how long they retain a file or delete it after a few weeks.

Scott, can I take you up on your offer?  It sure would be great to get this part 100% factory correct before I have it cut on the water jet.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
You bet!

So you only need the rear bracket and not the front (the one Dave is showing with the square hole)?

Email me your address and I'll get it on its way.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you gave it a Z dimension couldn't you put it on thingiverse?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
It is on the way to you!
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

TravelMaster
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Yes, I can add a z dimension and upload it to thingiverse.  That's a great suggestion!
Reply | Threaded
|

TravelMaster
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I got two of the brackets in the mail yesterday from Spalding auto parts.  I had a few minutes yesterday evening to hit them with the grinder and clean them up and then hit them with some black spray paint.

They cleaned up pretty good!

I think the bracket Scott sent may be sitting in my mailbox right now!  I'll get it corrected tonight in AutoCAD.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Hey, those brackets look great!  

I'm not sure of my web hosting suggestion.  It was more of a question, because I don't have the facilities to create anything.

But it's my understanding that files are available for access more or less forever, as long as they don't violate IP rules.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.