1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Black outside door handle [E2TZ-1022404-A] - NOS

Steve83
Banned User
I had several used ones powdercoated a few years ago - they're MUCH more affordable than that NOS one.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - That's actually something I'm thinking about for Big Blue.  Black windshield trim, headlight, grille, and even door handles.  As you said, LOT'S less expensive.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
The headlight doors, door lock cylinders, & side mirrors are the hardest because they're rare in factory black, hard to paint, & impossible to powdercoat.  The black grill is relatively common; the top & bottom bars for it are Aluminum, and even the shiny ones come with some black paint on them; virtually all '94-96/7 trucks got black w/s trim, so that's easy; center caps can be powdered if you remove the emblem & glue it back in; and antenna base can be powdered.  Fender badges aren't available black, and even factory black paint comes off the '92-96/7 ones, so there's not much to be done with them other than re-paint as needed.  But sandblasting would probably make it stick better.  I don't know if there's an acid that would eat the chrome & priming metals off the plastic without destroying the plastic; or if there's a blackening chemical to put on the chrome.  Maybe NightShades...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CPCRS6
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve83 wrote
I had several used ones powdercoated a few years ago - they're MUCH more affordable than that NOS one.

How did these hold up? The dealer facts organizer says the XLS ones were “black chrome” a dark colored plating in lieu of bright chrome. I’m not in the mood to pay NOS prices, especially since I will need four of them. NPD has repro ones for around $20, but I wonder about the quality? Maybe powder coating my originals would be better? 🤷‍♂️
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Ford F834 wrote
How did these hold up?
The pair on my truck has taken a beating, and still looks fine to me.  I guess I put them on around 2002/3:

This is '07:

I took them off in '12:

And I assume I put the same ones back on in '13:

They look the same now, after blazing MANY trails by just driving through the trees on my property.

These were done professionally by the biggest industrial powdercoater in Memphis (NGP/MPC) after I sandblasted the shine off the chrome.
Ford F834 wrote
Maybe powder coating my originals would be better?
That's what I'm saying.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That is impressive! I think this may be the best solution.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2