Black or Argent For Front Light Surrounds?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Black or Argent For Front Light Surrounds?

Quarterwave
Hi everyone,

My headlight surrounds need to be repainted and after researching the topic, it seems some are black and some are "argent".

To be specific - this is the area that immediately surrounds the headlight and turn signal - not the chrome part that borders the outside of the housing.

I've looked for some examples, but would appreciate anyone that can show me the difference in their own vehicles?

Gary - is there a way to tell from the VIN what mine could be? They are so faded that even in the farthest corner near the headlight, it's kind of a dark grey/black, so it could be either.

Also - has anyone had success in polishing the aluminum pieces that are above and below the grill? Mine are pitted and scratched, and LMC has them for $22 a piece:

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/fd/fdgr0.htm

As I don't own a bench buffer, the cost of the tool is more than the cost of the new ones (even though I can get more use out of the tool in the long run).

Thoughts?
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Black or Argent For Front Light Surrounds?

PetesPonies
To buff the aluminum pieces you need to strip the factory anodizing off of them. Yes, a pedestal buffer is a great tool. I use mine a lot. But it's your decision. Just understand that the factory trim is not bare aluminum.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Thanks Pete.

Will the stick-type of buffing wax and a buffing wheel get that anodizing off?

Also, what product needs to be use to re-protect the surface after it has been polished?
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
I had a response to this and thought I sent it.  Sorry.  Apparently not.

Anyway, it looks to me like there were three colors used on the headlight doors:

- Black for use with the standard grille from 1980 - 86

- Argent for use with the chrome, or bright, grille for 1980 & 81.  (Yes, I know that it says 80/86, but how then do you have a different one with the bright grille from 82 to 86?)

- Dark charcoal from 82 - 86 with the bright/chrome grille

That's just my thinking.  But I could easily be wrong.  And, I see no way to figure it out with the VIN.  But maybe with the build sheet if you had that.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Thanks Gary - I was also researching this more last night.

While I couldn't find a paint code, I think the dark charcoal is what I'll go with. I'll most likely just take a look at the pain selection in Home Depot and find a dark charcoal semi-gloss rattle can.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
No the buffer won't remove the anodizing. It can be electrically removed ,as it was applied , or it can be sanded off. Sanding is what is usually done unless you're in the plating business  :)
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
- Argent for use with the chrome, or bright, grille for 1980 & 81.  (Yes, I know that it says 80/86, but how then do you have a different one with the bright grille from 82 to 86?)
- Dark charcoal from 82 - 86 with the bright/chrome grille
This is just speculation, but it's conceivable that some factories produced trucks from '80-86 with bright grills & argent headlight doors; and that OTHER assembly lines switched in '82 to using the "new" charcoal doors with bright grills.  That would fit with the book applications.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - That's a very good possibility.  And more likely than mine.

We've documented your theory on door locks and turn signals, as they appear to have consolidated the older items at a sub-set of plants.  So it very probable that the phase-out date on the headlight doors varied by plant and the availability of parts, so they didn't bother to track that and record it in the catalog.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, what color would you say is the “standard” grille?

I ask for a couple of reasons. One is that in my experience most 82-86 grilles are argent, and it seems to me that the overwhelmingly common headlight door is also argent. By “standard” grille could they possibly have meant the 80/81 black grille?

Regarding the dark charcoal, it’s pretty much black. From what I can tell that’s the grille color used on the XLS and it pretty well matches the gloss black headlight doors except for the lack of shine:

Regarding the aluminum trim, keep in mind if the strip off the anodized coating you will have to clear coat it or keep it polished with an aluminum polish or it will turn dull grey. That said, I have also not heard great things about the quality and fitment of the reproduction ones. If you go that route at least check the return terms in case you are not happy with it.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If it is the chrome strips above & below the plastic grille I think they as SS and not the anodized moldings like around the glass or down the side.
If it was the same it would not have rust & pits on it.

As for the doors painted black or not I say pick the one you like and go with it.
When I get out to my garage I will have a look see at mine but I think 1 of the trucks was crashed at 1 time and some of the front end parts replaced.
I say this because 1 had yellow turn / park lights the other clear.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
FuzzFace2 wrote
...strips above & below the plastic grille I think they as SS and not the anodized...
My truck's originals & all that I've found are Aluminum; whether bright or painted black.