classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Black Beauty has fuel pump electrical issues

85lebaront2
Administrator
Hopefully it won't be too rich, original for the 302 and 351 were 19lb injectors, 24lb were in the 1988-97 460s.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Greg 85
I hope so too, Going off the Factory number given to me by the ford dealer, it stated a 24 lb injector for the trucks and a 19 lb for mustangs and crown vics.
Greg Gorbet:
1985 Ford F150 Explorer, 5.0 EFI, AOD, Longbed, black and blue, 2WD, all stock project.
1983 Cheverolet C10, 427 SBC, TH400/reverse, back halfed w/Ford 9" on 4-link, Project.
1979 C10, 383 SBC, TH350, Big 10 on leafs w/ladderbars, Saturday night special/date truck.
1985 Sport-Craft 272 Fishing Boat
Reply | Threaded
|

Greg 85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
I'll speculate, but that is all that it is - speculation.

An electromagnet works by the current creating a magnetic field.  The more current the more field and, therefore, the stronger the pull is.  And fuel injectors are valves with electromagnets in them.

As your injectors are losing resistance they are also losing current.  I = E/R, so the current equals the voltage divided by the resistance.  The voltage is staying the same but the resistance is changing and so is the current, but inversely.

Perhaps the lower current doesn't create enough magnetic field to open the injector adequately?

Everything I'm reading says that the max resistance is about 17 ohms.  So yours have too much resistance.

But I see your reluctance to just swap them out.  On Rock Auto injectors for your truck run from $26 to $133 each!  
Injectors for the win! Installed a new set of 24 lb injectors yesterday. This thing has come alive! More power, runs better, sounds better. Ran at idle yesterday for over an hour and then drove it for another hour. Wow, I am stoked! First time in over two years I have actually been able to drive it. Thank you Gary Lewis and Everyone else who has contributed to helping me along this journey! It is much appreciated!  
Greg Gorbet:
1985 Ford F150 Explorer, 5.0 EFI, AOD, Longbed, black and blue, 2WD, all stock project.
1983 Cheverolet C10, 427 SBC, TH400/reverse, back halfed w/Ford 9" on 4-link, Project.
1979 C10, 383 SBC, TH350, Big 10 on leafs w/ladderbars, Saturday night special/date truck.
1985 Sport-Craft 272 Fishing Boat
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yippee!!!!  Glad that worked out for you, Greg.  

It is always scary to drop that much money on something that you can't be sure is the problem.  And especially on someone's recommendation that isn't sure that's the problem.

But I'm so happy Black Beauty is running well again.  That's such a good feeling!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI