7367 messages Options
12345 ... 369
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Blue's Transformation

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought "Bradbuilt" wrote in a familiar way, so had wondered that.  In fact, I scrolled back up to see who had written the post, expecting to see "Diesel Brad".  Good to know as I know what to think of what he says.

Anyway, I don't want a lot of lift, so am happy to have the springs bend a bit and drop the front.  As you pointed out, any load I carry will mostly be on the rear.  In fact, if I ever get that bumper and move the spare to it that'll actually take some weight off the front.

Ok, I'm back to planning to try the U-codes.  I can't get hurt as I can swap them and I already have them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mid-day update: Nada.  Got the socket and got the spindle nut off on Wednesday, but today I've been beating my head and everything else available on the spindles to get them off.  No dice.  Heated them, soaked them w/PB Blaster, used an air chisel, and on and on.

But this thread on FTE has given me hope, so I'm off to get a slide hammer and spindle adapter after lunch.  Not sure if it is daylight or another locomotive, but there's light in the tunnel.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You have a lathe. Why not make a spindle puller attachment to keep in your box?

Might be good for a project or to loan at the GTG.

Oh, good luck. They can be a bear when they've been on for decades.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure I'd want to tackle that on the lathe.  I've never done any internal thread chasing, only external, so making the adapter would be a pain.  However, if I had a spare spindle nut then I could weld it to a tube and make the adapter.  But, spindle nuts like the rounded one I have show for over $50, so I think I'll rent the puller.  

And, I'm sure I'm going to need all the luck I can get.  They look like they've taken up permanent residence in those knuckles.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I didn't realize that you were unfamiliar with internal threading.

I hope you have a big morgan nokker..

While the air chisel can help be careful you don't come close to an edge and start peening it tighter.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The first time I tried to get spindles off (it was on my '85 F-250) I couldn't get them to budge.  I didn't know about the slide hammer approach, so I had to "get crafty on it."  I took a piece of 3/8" mild steel plate and bored a hole in it that was a fairly close fit over the spindle threads.  Then I put some stand-offs between the plate and some solid points on the knuckle (one on each side of center, I used deep-well sockets) and tightened a spindle nut down as tight as I could with a breaker bar (no hammering or cheater bar or anything).  Then I took a big hammer and whacked the plate a couple times where each stand-off was.  Then I could get another degree or two on the spindle nut with the breaker bar.  I just kept repeating that until the spindle came out.

It wasn't very difficult (once I had the hole bored in the plate) and it was very effective (I've used the same plate on several more front ends since then, always successfully).  It's not all that fast, but you can tell you are making progress as you keep nudging the spindle nut farther each time.  The biggest downside is that the standoffs do end up bending the dust shield a fair amount.  It didn't hurt the usability of the dust shields, and it was nothing that bothered me.  But I know you care about a lot of the details more than I do.

If I were you I'd still try the slide hammer first.  But this is another possibility.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I only used the air chisel under the flange, not anywhere that would cause peening.

Bob - That's an interesting approach.  I hope I don't have to use it, but I will if the slide hammer doesn't do it.

I'm about to head out the door, stop by the church building and talk with our minister, go to O'Reilly's to get the puller, and then to the dentist.    Hopefully I'll get home in plenty of time to try the puller today and report back.......

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
"I'm about to head out the door, stop by the church building and talk with our minister, go to O'Reilly's to get the puller, and then to the dentist.    Hopefully I'll get home in plenty of time to try the puller today and report back....... "

Hope the dentist is not a "puller"!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm baaaaack!  And the bad news is that the parts store doesn't have the adapter nor can they get it.  So, I'm gonna try Plan B(ob).

And, the tooth is cracked.  So, Monday at 8 am I'll be back to have root canal and a crown.

As for the good news, I'm not sure there was any.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry about that.  

Best of luck with Bob's method.
Sounds like a good backup plan.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Shoulda seen what it took me to get the ball joint and tie-rod nuts loose. Just about had them on fire before they finally decided to budge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
I forgot to mention that I put the keyed washer between my plate and the spindle nut and put some grease on it as well.  That way turning the spindle nut didn't tend to turn the plate and it reduced the friction so the torque I could put on it likely did (a very little) more good.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gee, yet another reason I am not a big fan of 4WD unless I really need it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Likely did a lot of good!

You might be surprised how much torque it takes to overcome friction.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ohhh, so much to share!  First, success!  Plan B(ob) works.  

But, I only got the driver's side off as the passenger's side is the one I'd been working on this morning, and I see now that I have it cocked.  So I switched to the driver's side and off it came.  I used a 4lb plumber's sledge and took several hits on each bolt then tightened the spindle nut.  Hits/tighten, hits/tighten.  And I didn't really have to tighten the spindle nut all that much each time.

But, this design of D60 doesn't have a washer between the nut and the bearing, and I don't have anything that size, so I just lubed it.

Here's the puller, which is made of 3" channel 8 1/2" long.  It is just something I've had for 49+ years, and it happened to be the right length.  It had a 5/8" hole 3/4" from one end, so I put another one on the other end to match and used a hole saw to put a 2" hole in the middle.  It slipped right over the spindle, but I only had one 5 1/2" long 5/8" bolt, so I pulled the piece of hardened all-thread off the shop crane.  The combo worked nicely.

Here it is doing its job:

And here is the spindle and driveshaft.  Boy is the D60 much more simple than the D44!

Bill - I plan to use the 4wd, and that will make this well worth it.

Tomorrow I'll put the nuts back on the high side of the passenger's side spindle straighten it up and then pull it.  Should come off easily.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Glad it worked for you!
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - It also worked on the passenger's side, although that rascal fought me to the very end.    But it is out and I'm starting to pull tie rods, then ball joints, and I'll have the basic axle ready to take for rebuilding.

Dane/grumpin - I got the CD.  Thanks again!  I'll do some work and get the Monobeam bit up.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Good work!

Awesome! Glad you got the CD, it got there pretty quick!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
grumpin wrote
Good work!

Awesome! Glad you got the CD, it got there pretty quick!
Thanks!  And the Dana 60 info is up on the website: Driveline/Axles and Differentials and then the Front Axles tab, then the Instructions tab and finally the Dana 60 tab.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I'm soooooo close to having this thing apart!  But the passenger's side rear spring eye bolt is rusted to the bushing and refuses to come out and play.  Any suggestions?

Here's what I've done: Turned it with a breakover, but can hear the bushing slipping in the rubber; soaked it in PB Blaster; hammered on the end, with a nut on it of course, with the 4# sledge.  Nada.

I'm not going to use the F350 springs, but don't really want to send that one to the scrap heap when the frame goes.  I guess I could cut the hanger off the frame, but I'd still have to cut the bolt or torch the thing and burn the rubber out.  Still, the bushing would be bound to the bolt, so that doesn't get it out.

12345 ... 369