26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Battery / Starter Cable Routing

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Cory,
This is how most of us do, rather than paying $100 for a cable.

I realize there are some Concours perverts out there, but my electrons don't care how they get home.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by myrl883
myrl883 wrote
FuzzFace's looks good and protects the cables from heat, but Rembrandt's truck shows how the cables were originally mounted.
Well I did put in my post I did not know how the 302 cables were run as I had a 300 six.
Also if someone does a search for cable run it now has the 300 six & the 302 cables.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, you have to sure not to let any homotrons in. I just used the complete later system on my truck, Positive to relay and PMGR starter, signal from relay to PMGR starter solenoid, ground bundles with positive to the lower starter bolt/stud.

That way all the high current draw (starter) is right where everything attaches. The PDC is fed through a double fusible link to the hot side of the starter relay.

You think Ford battery cables are bad, at least you can buy them, I ended up building a negative cable for my Lebaron convertible.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
No Bill, what you really can't do, is let the smoke out!

That stuff is ridiculously expensive, and hard to find.

I keep my jar hidden away in the back of my cabinet.  Hoping I never have to use it.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was a bit afraid I'd knock my jar off and break it as I was working on Big Blue today.  So I disconnected both positive battery cables to do the work.  Jar is still full.

As for what battery cables I have, I made both positive cables but the negative cables are factory because they are in good shape.  However, when the time comes to replace them I'll make new ones.

In fact, I may go ahead and make a new negative cable for the auxiliary battery as the factory one grounds to the driver's fender.  So if I press the button to parallel the batteries when starting the ground path for that battery will be from the driver's fender to the radiator support to the passenger's fender to the negative battery post on the main battery.  But none of my ground wires that connect those chunks of sheet metal are sized to handle starting currents.

So, what I really ought to do now while I'm working on the electrical system is to make a new ground cable that goes to the block.  And if anyone on here is interested I could put together how I make that negative cable.  Thoughts?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, the homotrons are the queer electrons that go around blowing fuses.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413