classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
237 messages Options
1234 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any Ford RV/ Motorhome experts on here?

Rembrant
For the past couple years Mrs. Rembrant and I have been loosely toying around with the idea of getting a motorhome....more so her than me...but still, the interest is there even if it is in passing. The for sale ones show up in my random trucks searches, but she actually looks for them.

In looking at a year range of the mid 1980's into the mid 1990's, the mid-90's machines are clearly much nicer...and most of the time quite a bit more money. I've been leaning way more towards an older rig...mid 1980's. We have no intentions of driving cross country or anything, certainly not at this point and time. It would really just be for vacation time and the odd long weekend to travel within a 250-500 mile radius.

A 1985 Ford popped up for sale semi-locally with quite low miles (only about 40k on it). It's a smaller one...I think 23 or 24 ft, with DRW and presumably a 351w...that's what they all seem to have in that size range. Seller says it has been well maintained and comes with service records. Belts and fluids have all been done and general maintenance is up to date.

Camper body aside...I don't really need to know anything about that part, is there anything one needs to know about the cab and chassis portion of these things? Any issues or problems to be aware of? Are they money pits? Bad idea?

351w with auto trans and DRW...

Any comments from the 80's Ford 1-ton experts, good or bad?

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Any Ford RV/ Motorhome experts on here?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not a one-ton expert, but I do have some experience with vehicles that have sat for some time w/o being driven.  So I'd enquire as to the last time the vehicle was out on a reasonably-long run - something like 100 miles or more.

I say that because when we moved to the UK we left our van with my parents with the agreement that they would drive it frequently.  But that didn't happen, and when we got back and started driving it lots and lots of problems cropped up all at once.

I don't know if it was because it hadn't been driven that it had so many problems.  Or, if all those problems would have come up during the time it was supposed to have been driven, and they just cropped up all at once when we did drive it.  But I have more faith in a vehicle that has been driven frequently than one with lower miles but is rarely driven.

And another thing I'd find out about is the rear axle.  I should know how to figure out what it should be, but that process is escaping me at the moment.  Anyway, there was some discussion recently about certain rear axles and how difficult it is to change the brake shoes on them.  So I'd find out what it has to understand how easy it'll be to maintain.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It sounds like what is called a class C motorhome. If so it is on a cab and chassis E350. They were built as a cutaway, with the cab portion open  at the back. First item, the year is the year the motorhome builder finished the unit, the cab and chassis may be from 1 to 2 years older. Second item, could very likely have a 460 in it as the 351W wasn't real happy with both the weight and wind drag.

Many of the smaller motorhomes were severely underpowered, having Dodge 318s, Chevy 350s and Ford 351s and since many people like to take a "toad" (small car that can be towed behind) along, it needs enough power to do this also. Unfortunately, Ford was not the prime choice for the bigger (class A) units so most of them came with Chevy 454s, these barely got single digit mpg and since they were based on a P30 (think bread truck) chassis the front end was so overloaded they had air bags inside the front springs to carry the weight.

I have worked on a lot of these when I had my shop.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Rembrant
I have a class C motor home, but a lot newer than you are talking about (mine's a 2015 E-450).  And my folks had a 1980's vintage travel trailer.  So I can't speak to some of the specific issues you are asking about, but maybe I can offer some helpful insights.

Roof leaks aren't that uncommon in campers (you kind of need to keep maintaining the roof every few years).  So in an older camper it's not at all uncommon to have had leaks and therefore mold (that's what ultimately caused my parents trailer to be scrapped).

As far as the truck portion goes, all in the '80s and most in the '90s were built on 1-ton chassis.  They are pretty much overloaded before you even start filing tanks and packing food and gear.  So staying with a smaller unit is really a good idea.  Getting into a newer chassis makes the E-Superduty and then E-450 possibilities.  Personally I decided I needed that to be able to tow my Bronco safely and legally.

I will say that I love travelling in a motorhome, but owning one is not the best part of owning one.  It's great to be able to stop pretty much wherever you are and not need to take the time to check into a hotel.  But it is another truck to maintain.  And as Gary notes, not getting driven much doesn't eliminate the maintenance.

Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I prefer a travel trailer because you don’t have to insure the RV itself, maintenance is pretty much bearings brakes and tires, and you have a truck to use when you get where you are going. You also have a truck to use the rest of the time instead of something that just sits waiting for the next vacation. (I guess if you never drive the tow pig you are right back where you started, but I have plenty of other uses for the tow rig). I admit, trailering is a pain. Not being able to go straight from the passenger seat into the RV is less convenient. If I were a snow bird and spent most of my time traveling, then a motor home would win hands down, but for vacation use it seems like the trailer is a more logical choice.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Ford F834 wrote
I prefer a travel trailer ...
Actually I agree with that except for two things.

The kicker for me is needing to bring my '71 Bronco with me.  So I either need to be able to haul the Bronco with the camper or tow the camper with the Bronco.  I don't want to even drive the Bronco on long trips much less tow with it, so that leaves with toy hauler trailers and motorhomes.  A toy hauler that can carry a Bronco is too big for my '97 F-250, and I don't want to go that big (trailer or truck) anyway.  So I'm stuck with a motorhome.

For anyone that doesn't have that restriction, the other thing is that it is nice to travel in the camper where the fridge, beds and ROOM is.  Is it nice enough to offset all of the downsides you mentioned?  Probably for some, but not for everyone.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A toy hauler big enough to handle an early Bronco would be huge.  My nephew just bought one to handle a couple of RZR's, and it was big enough that he had to buy a bigger truck - a DRW.

As for RV vs trailer, we had a 9 1/2' self-contained slide in camper back in the 70's and a '72 F250 to carry it.  We went a lot of places and it worked for us as we had trail bikes and towed a trailer with them on it.  But there was always the issue of having camp set up and then needing to go someplace.

So if we were to do it now we'd go with a 5th wheel trailer.  Maybe a smaller one so that we wouldn't need a DRW truck.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I used to have a Wolverine 11.5' slide in camper I hauled in my 1977 F150 (after I swapped in the 390 and C6). I towed our 1981 Omni behind on a tow bar (it was a 4 speed) that way we didn't need to break camp to go somewhere.

We went from tent camping to a popup, then the slide in and finally a 30' Wilderness 5th wheel with a slide out living room and dining area. Current wife's idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn Express.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - 11 1/2' camper in an F150?  My 9 1/2' was a good match for my F250, which was rated at ~9000 lbs if I remember correctly.  (With a QJet on a 390/C6 combo.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
This light weight 8' pop-up was about all I wanted to carry with my '95 F-150.  I added air bag helper springs in the rear and ran load range E tires (still had "C" in this picture) which made it OK.  But I wouldn't have gone bigger.  And when I replaced that truck I got an F-250.

Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I spent quite a bit of time as a kid in one of those slide-in campers (on the back of a 1978 F150 4x4 with a 400 and 4spd).

A tow behind or slide-in camper would be ideal for us, IF we had a proper truck to pull one/haul one. My wife and I just have a couple small cars, and I don't think my old blue Flareside would make much of a tow rig. Maybe when I finish the 85 4x4 I'll put a hitch on it and we'll see. At 40k per year miles and more, my old VW only has a couple maybe 3 years left in it, so maybe I'll get a truck after that. Who knows.

For now, Mrs. Rembrant has called off the dogs on the RV. We were going to go see a couple, but decided to hold off, at least for the time being. We have our 20th anniversary coming up in a month, and we were thinking of a trip somewhere...or maybe an RV...but for the time being, we'll just keep planning.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It may be a good idea to think about it for a bit.  The right truck and a trailer might not be more expensive that a complete RV.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
You have to remember, when the F150 was introduced, all of the big 3 did something similar, it was to beat the "light duty" emission rules. Ford took an F250 and downrated it, GM's "heavy halfs" just had beefed up springs. Example, F100 in 1977 had ball bearings for the rear wheels, F150 had roller bearings, same 9" rear. Mine came with a 300 and C4 so had a 3.25 gear. My trailer guy is a Chevy/GMC guy, and he is the one who told me that. I did have to stick a pair of helper springs to level it, but had the adjustable shackles all the way as slack as they would go, then it rode level with the camper in it. I had the camper special 390 in mine, and I designed a dual system that went down the right side and out on a 45° angle, also built a slide out rear bumper system for it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
My wife and I agree .  . roughing it is a low dollar Motel  :)  You couldn't make up camp. And for what you pay in fuel and set up fees . . there's no way you can explain how driving that RV makes dollar sense?? A steak house, a beer and back to the Motel is just fine  :)
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
PetesPonies wrote
My wife and I agree .  . roughing it is a low dollar Motel  :)  You couldn't make up camp. And for what you pay in fuel and set up fees . . there's no way you can explain how driving that RV makes dollar sense?? A steak house, a beer and back to the Motel is just fine  :)
Pete,

I completely agree, and that is what we've been doing for 20+ years....both low dollar and regular dollar hotels. We've done a lot of traveling by motorcycle, both Canada and the USA coast to coast, and pulling up to a hotel at the end of a long day sure is nice.

What I didn't mention originally is the main reason my wife got on an RV kick in the first place. We have two 70 lb Basset Hounds...one is older, and the other is a senior, and the wife wanted a way to bring them with us. They're a real hassle to lift in and out of a car, let alone a truck.

A truck and a camper trailer makes more sense than an RV, and that's what EVERYBODY does here....but that only makes sense if you already have a full size truck as your daily driver, which most people do around here. I do not.

An RV is more about the novelty of traveling in one, and the ability to use it anywhere. I could explain the reasoning even further, but it's kind of a moot point right now. It was more her than me that wanted one, and right now it's been kicked to the back burner...lol, so I'm off the hook, at least for now.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Right here is one of the best reasons to stay out of motels, especially cheap ones. Being bitten is one thing, bringing them home is quite another... I don’t care how nice the place is, I turn any hotel room inside out before I bring in a bag or so much as sit down on the bed. Honestly I sleep much better in my own tent in the dirt.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
85lebaront2 wrote
You have to remember, when the F150 was introduced, all of the big 3 did something similar, it was to beat the "light duty" emission rules. Ford took an F250 and downrated it, ....
My '95 F-150 still was one of those down-rated F-250s, or beefed up F-100s or whatever you want to call them.  With a fuel injected 351W it had plenty of power to move the camper, even with a CJ5 in tow.  But the payload rating on it was still only about 1500 lbs and my little camper weighed 1200.  That left 300 lbs for me, my wife and kids and a weeks worth of food and clothes.  With the weight that high it was spooky at first (the air bags helped that a lot).  But it was still a lot to ask of the brakes.  And I sweated every time I came up on a weigh station (some states that type of vehicle is exempt, but not all).  Can an F-150 haul that much?  Yes.  Can it safely?  That's debatable.  Can it legally?  Absolutely not.  Should you do it?  I can't answer that.

Rembrant wrote
....  An RV is more about the novelty of traveling in one, and the ability to use it anywhere. I could explain the reasoning even further, ....
That's all very true.  Like I said above, I love traveling in a motorhome.  Is it worth the downsides?  Fortunately(?) for me I didn't need to answer that because I needed it to tow the Bronco.

Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
So Mrs Rembrant has me looking at RV's again. We've been looking at them for a few years now, on and off. We don't really have any intentions of going all that far, but we do have some friends with lots of property to use. Good friends of ours have an unused lake lot, and another friend of mine has 40 acres on the ocean with lots of space we are welcome to use. Anyway, current budget prices pretty much put us between the late 80's and the late 90's.

Most of the ones we've been looking at have 460's. In these E350 cutaways, when did the 460 get EFI, and what EFI did it get? We've looked at a few with the V10's...later 90's and 2000-2001.

Some of them are in really nice condition, and very well kept and maintained. The early EFI systems are a real boogie man for me, so I'm curious what if any fuel systems should be steered clear of.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The MPC shows the 460's getting EFI in '88, with the exception of the F53 Stripped Chassis, which apparently stayed carb'd in '89 so much have been EFI'd in '90.

But I don't know that I'd worry too much about the first gen EFI.  It was EEC-IV, which means speed density and bank-fire.  The 460 didn't get EEC-V with MAF and sequential until '96, and then only in CA.  But if you are staying stock then the EEC-IV shouldn't be a problem.

And the 460 had the C6 until '89 when it got the E4OD.  The early E4's had some problems, but if you are going to drive very many miles the OD would be really nice to have.

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Here is another thought. What about something in the range of a 24 foot fifth wheel. Back in the day I had a 24 footer that I pulled with a 67 Jeep Gladiator J3000. A half ton pickup. Granted I had upgraded the engine from the stock inline six to a 350 Chevy.

One of the things I liked the most about this setup was that I get to the spot to set up camp, drop the gate, unplug the light cable, pull the pin and off to the hunting spot I went.

Another plus is that if you have a como system between the trailer and the truck, passengers can ride in the trailer. I call it a plus because when you have teenagers you can stick them in the trailer and not have to listen to them.

You have a flair side with a warmed up 302, that should be plenty to safely pull one of these and they pull a lot better then a bumper pull trailer. Plus the added advantages already mentioned above about trailers.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
1234 ... 12