classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Annapolis MD new kid on the blog

GMACD
Hi Everybody,

I stumbled upon this treasure trove by doing a blind search for f150 engine compartment photos.  Glad to have found you all.
Cheers,

Gregg MacD
84 F150 Flareside XL, 302 swap, desmogged, performer intake, poser dual exhaust, AOD Metric, vintage M/T rims, Lund visor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Annapolis MD new kid on the blog

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome, Gregg!  Glad you joined.  

We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if you'd like.

Cheers!?  Sound like a Brit.  (I frequently say "ciao", but I'm hardly Italian, so....)
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

GMACD
Yes please.
Thank you for asking.

(lived in Scotland for a wee bit)
Cheers,

Gregg MacD
84 F150 Flareside XL, 302 swap, desmogged, performer intake, poser dual exhaust, AOD Metric, vintage M/T rims, Lund visor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.

As for Scotland, we were headed there this autumn.  Have the money down and have the itinerary all mapped out.  But, I very much doubt that will happen this year given what is transpiring.

We were taking friends that have never been to the UK and we were/are the tour guides as we lived near London a couple of years - back when these trucks were almost new.  The plan is to fly into Edinburgh, and after a few days drive up to Inverness.  Then after a few days of seeing the sites around there drive down through the Lake District, Liverpool, the Cotswolds, Stonehenge, Salisbury, Windsor, and into London.

You'll find several ex-pats on here from the UK, and some that still live there, although none in Scotland that I remember.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by GMACD
GMACD wrote
(lived in Scotland for a wee bit)
I saw a bumper sticker on an old beat up Chevy in western NC about 15 years ago and it said "England will last forever. Scotland will last a wee bit longer!).

Welcome aboard Gregg. I made a very quick visit to Annapolis back in 2008. I bought a Tacoma at Koons Toyota, and then traveled there to pick it up. I was in and out pretty quick. I remember arguing with the salesman at the time because all I wanted was an out of state transfer since I was going to be out of Maryland asap, but they made me pay for a temporary MD permit! He said it was state law, and too bad about my whining...lol.

In any case, I too have a 1984 F150 Flareside, so if there are pictures you need I may be able to help out. Just shout.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
The FOG thickens!  
This time from the rolling heath, overlooking a dark loch???

Welcome Gregg!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The FOG thickens!
Translation: Flareside Owners Group = FOG.

Reply | Threaded
|

GMACD
Good Day Gents,

Thank you for the warm and punny welcome.  I suppose the 'dad' jokes are my fault since I started it w/ "new kid on the blog."  In hindsight I should have written "new kid on the FOG."

Sir Gary--I lived in St. Andrews for a year supporting our daughter as she did her masters at St. Mary's College.  A bit of irony there as I don't golf, living in the birthplace of golf.  It only makes sense as I live in Annapolis, and yep, you guessed it, I don't sail. Your travel plans are envious, there is something stirring about the old sod, perhaps it is that my last name is MacDougall?...

Presently, I fix houses for a living, and know barely enough about car repair to make myself dangerous.  While I am a whiz at detailing, I am a novice at repairs. So it is with gratitude that I have stumbled on this panoply of info.

Be Well Lads!
Cheers,

Gregg MacD
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gregg - I twigged about the surname pretty quickly after you said you lived in Scotland.  But that wasn't why you were there.  Cool that you were able to support your daughter as she went to school.

While neither of us play golf, have you seen Tommy's Honour?  I liked it, and it might show some scenes that are familiar to you, though I don't know where it was filmed.

Anyway, we are here to help, whether you know a little or a lot.  We are in it together.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
So you live in that little Greek town on the bay, Annypolis. I was hatched, er born there at the Naval Hospital. My parents met when dad was attending Severn River Tech (Naval Academy) and for some strange reason I appeared almost exactly 9 months after VJ day.

Welcome to our little insane asylum. Have you ever been down to Grandfather Mountain for the Scottish games? I have a few friends who try to go every year, one is a Matheson, the other a Gleason.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

GMACD
Good Morning Mr. BIll,

Very funny email, or rather very punny email sir.  Thank you for the chuckles, especially about Severn River Tech School!  Good one. I especially enjoy that as my daughter attended the Other College in Annapolis.  You know the one, where they do learn how to read Greek.   Strangely I have not been to Grandfather Mountain, although it looks like a lark, especially that elevated bridge.

Thank you for the welcome to the asylum, I will enjoy passing time in the day room for the criminally incontinent.  

Can you assist me with a rookie question?  I have a Metric Transmission that has a leak at the seal at the tail end of the transmission.  Is that called the output shaft seal?  I need to get a new one to reduce my ATF bill. Is this kind of part available at NAPA or Pep Boys etc.?  Thanks for whatever guidance you (et al) can provide.  Here is another picture of my polished valve covers.  

Stay home & stay well everybody!

Grace & Mercy & Peace,

Gregg MacDougall

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 2:38 PM 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
So you live in that little Greek town on the bay, Annypolis. I was hatched, er born there at the Naval Hospital. My parents met when dad was attending Severn River Tech (Naval Academy) and for some strange reason I appeared almost exactly 9 months after VJ day.

Welcome to our little insane asylum. Have you ever been down to Grandfather Mountain for the Scottish games? I have a few friends who try to go every year, one is a Matheson, the other a Gleason.
Bill Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F-350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 1994 Taurus LX Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Annapolis-MD-new-kid-on-the-blog-tp54217p55869.html
To unsubscribe from Annapolis MD new kid on the blog, click here.
NAML

IMG_5345.JPG (3M) Download Attachment
Cheers,

Gregg MacD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Valve covers look good!  So I included them here.

As for the transmission, you don't have a signature so I don't know for sure which one you have.  But if I remember correctly the AOD says Metric on the pan.  If so, the whole shop manual section on rebuilding that transmission is on the page at: Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/AOD.  Scroll down to Page 21 and you will see the extension housing seal, aka output shaft seal, and how to replace it.

But I doubt the local parts stores would have it, although they can probably get it.  I'd go to the Rock Auto site and drill down in their catalog.  I'll bet they have it and you won't have to go into a store.  Stay safe!

Reply | Threaded
|

GMACD
Thank you very much Gary for the guidance.
I will get on it.

Grace & Mercy & Peace,

Gregg MacDougall

On Tue, Apr 7, 2020 at 10:12 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Valve covers look good!  So I included them here.

As for the transmission, you don't have a signature so I don't know for sure which one you have.  But if I remember correctly the AOD says Metric on the pan.  If so, the whole shop manual section on rebuilding that transmission is on the page at: Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/AOD.  Scroll down to Page 21 and you will see the extension housing seal, aka output shaft seal, and how to replace it.

But I doubt the local parts stores would have it, although they can probably get it.  I'd go to the Rock Auto site and drill down in their catalog.  I'll bet they have it and you won't have to go into a store.  Stay safe!

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Annapolis-MD-new-kid-on-the-blog-tp54217p56001.html
To unsubscribe from Annapolis MD new kid on the blog, click here.
NAML

Cheers,

Gregg MacD
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
One thing to check on the transmission seal, see how much up and down play you have where the driveshaft enters the transmission. If the bushing is too worn you will never keep a seal in it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I am surprised, that you, mister Carterbrock did not notice what is on his engine, the rare interim between Carter and Edelbrock Weber built model.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I missed that, Bill.  But I see it now.  I think I may have one of those still, but if not have had.  Fairly rare.

Reply | Threaded
|

GMACD
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks for the sage advice.  I'll check into that.  Probably make sense to simply change the bushing too.

And for the Weber/Edelbrock carb I have,  what do I need to know about it?  Is there anything unusual to be aware of?  Was it a fluke or flawed design that went the way of the Edsel?
Cheers,

Gregg MacD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Your carb is a Carter that was made by Weber.  There's nothing wrong with it, and it is a good carb.

The Wikipedia article on Carter Carburetors doesn't mention Weber making the Carters.  In fact, it says Carter made some Webers.  Perhaps they shared production?