Aftermarket gauges, recommendations?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Aftermarket gauges, recommendations?

jstone4646
My stock oil pressure gauge is broken and the previous owner had put in an aftermarket one.  That one leaks in the cab so it needs to go.  I was browsing amazon and some parts stores and saw that reviews for aftermarket gauges (Bosch and Auto Meter in particular) are absolutely terrible.  Now granted reviews are terrible in them selves sometimes because a lot of people improperly install something then complain about it but most of these reviews all say the same things, broken, leaking, defective out of the box, etc.  So I wanted to see if you guys are running aftermarket gauges and if so, which ones?  

I personally like the idea of electric gauges so that I only run electrical wires through the firewall and not a copper oil line or metal temp line.  Thoughts?
Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Aftermarket gauges, recommendations?

grumpin
I don't have any aftermarket gauges in my 1986. I did put a coolant temperature gauge in my 1987 4Runner.

I ended up buying an Equus and installing it. I was happy with it, and it worked well. And it was electric.

https://www.iequus.com/

Edit: Add electric
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by jstone4646
It should be pretty easy to find a stock gauge to replace the broken one.  But if you want an aftermarket one, instead of or in addition to the stock one, then that's the "belt and braces" approach I usually use.

Big Blue has AutoMeter gauges in him, but I've used other brands as well, all with good luck.  However, I've traditionally used mechanical rather than electric gauges.  The reason is that the mechanical ones usually have 270 degree movement while the electric one typically have 90 degree movement.  I find it much easier to see what they are saying with the 270 degree sweep.  But, they aren't as easy to install, that's for sure.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by jstone4646
I’ve been pretty happy with my VDO set of mechanical gauges. They are older, however, and came with my ‘86. They are more stable and easier to read than the cheap-o ones. I’ve also heard good things about Stuart Warner. All I can say is if you run a mechanical oil pressure gauge use a copper, not plastic feed line 😭.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
jstone4646 wrote
I personally like the idea of electric gauges so that I only run electrical wires through the firewall and not a copper oil line or metal temp line.  Thoughts?
Sounds like you need the factory gauges, which have been good enough for my engine to last about a million miles (literally).
Gary Lewis wrote
I find it much easier to see what they are saying with the 270 degree sweep.
I've never paid that much attention to them - just a glance to see if the needle is significantly OUT-of-position.  If it's basically where it always is, then I don't care what the 2nd decimal place is.   It's just a "gauge" - not a precision meter, even if it has a 360° sweep on a 6" dial with 4 scales of units.