classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
86 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: About a reliable ignition coil

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Dont forget the little inline vacuum restrict (VREST) or you will lose the overheat function of the three port thermal vacuum switch on the water neck.

I'm not really worried about what to do when mine fails.
I'll just dig under the seat for the nib spare and plug it in.
I don't even bother to bolt it into place until I get where I was going
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,
It works on both T-19 and Zf.

As you know I *just* replaced mine with an all metal unit from Amazon.
Never again the plastic crap with no real bleeder nipple.

But *now* I'm sitting  on the late model one from the Superduty,  which has a braided stainless hose and an aluminized heat boot.
Up for sale because I don't have room for spares anymore.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - In my experience there’s usually very little max vacuum difference between manifold vacuum and the ported vacuum on most carbs.  But many YFA’s, like David’s, don’t have a normal ported vacuum connection. Instead, it doesn’t ever reach the full vacuum of the manifold. And yet that’s what the vacuum advance was hooked to.

So when we connected the advance to manifold vacuum we had a lot more than previously, and we couldn’t get the vacuum advance dialed in like we wanted. Finally we had to go back to the “ported” connection.

Jim - Thanks. I toyed with buying that master/slave unit from you, but Big Blue’s is newish and I already have a ton (190 #, actually) coming from you so I didn’t. Good luck with it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
In reply to this post by Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry about that.  But, at least you were carrying a spare coil and box.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How 'bout a Subie?  They make an opposed 6.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, they are a popular swap into the VW.  My nephew was working on one.  Apparently they rotate backwards to the VW engine so the ring gear has to be flipped.  And the radiator takes up the whole front end.

Anyway, we have a 2001 and it has 150K on the clock.  Have had it since new and it has been a good vehicle.  Some prob's, but none big.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Glad you got the problem solved, and good advice on carrying tools and critical spares. I am becoming a fan of grabbing clean used motorcraft parts at the junkyard over new aftermarket units from the parts houses. Too many times a brand new part has had a problem right out of the box or failed within months. A warranty is meaningless when you are broken down and stranded on the side of the road.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They have both 4 and 6 cylinder engines, depending on the vehicle.

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That’s not very good life from plug wires. Glad you found the problem. But for spares, could you carry one known-good long wire?

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
They do rotate backwards to the VW engine, and loo like they rotate backwards to everything, but if you look at the rotation of most engines they are clockwise viewed from the front, or counterclockwise viewed from the rear which is exactly how a Corvair engine rotates. It allowed Chevrolet to use some components that were the same as the RWD cars and some of the same machine tools like the hypoid gear tools. As a result, the 1966-69 models used Saginaw 3 and 4 speed transmissions.

As for a radiator, for a Corvair, damn hard piece to find!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That is pretty disappointing, Belden wires used to be some of the best you could buy. I put Motorcraft on my truck and Taurus as they are the only "exact fit" ones available (Gary, wait till you go get plug wires for Big Blue).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413