classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A Different Approach To "Electric" Fan

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The electric part of the electro-viscous clutch is just a valve to allow the silicon fluid into the clutch.  That's the difference to a mechanical-viscous clutch where the bi-metal spring opens and closes the valve.  So I'm thinking it isn't much power at all if that spring can do it.  But I really don't know.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Electro vicious clutches don't have a mu, like a friction material

They're really not that far different than the fluid in a thermal clutch full of iron filings or something.
Typically

I'm not sure what this one is like
It might have a solenoid that just blocks rotation

At least then no energy is getting turned into heat.

All these things, add up to inefficiency in the system
Turning motion into electricity, electricity back into motion, the control system to switch that electricity on and off thousands of times a second...

You know, thermodynamics
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
"Vicious". 🤣🤣🤣🤣

(Killers)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Look at where else we have by bimetallic springs

Chokes, gauges, the old thermostat in your house.
Maybe a grandfather clock?
But in that case it's your key that distorts the spring.
Still stores a bunch of energy though.

With a thermal fan clutch, it's the heat pouring off the radiator that provides the energy to switch the fan on and off

It's a loss that's already built into the system, instead of something additional you're piling on
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, it wasn't so much cheating AKA VW as it was an almost impossible balancing act to get a Ford 400 to idle smoothly and meet the HC and CO standards. Idle screws would generally end up almost falling out to get one to idle right.

If I remember Ford fudged the results to get the 400 certified as the 390 was dropped after 1976 in trucks. If Ford had put an air pump on them, they probably would have run better in stock form. I do see some did.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wonder if the intake and head passages had something to do with the idle issues.  Those passages are huge even on the 2V heads, which are shared with the 351C, and surely caused fuel to drop out of suspension at low RPM.

You may remember my story, but I had Windsor and Cleveland/M-Block 2V heads stacked side by side upstairs in the shop and Branden/Bruno2 came over to get the Windsor heads.  He came down with the 2V heads and when I showed him the difference to the Windsors he was appalled at how small the passages are on the Windsors.

Knowing how the EFI lower plenum doesn't work well with a carb on a 460, I can imagine that the larger passages on the 400 wouldn't be conducive to idling and low-end power either.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
"85lebaront2 wrote
It wasn't so much cheating AKA VW as it was an almost impossible balancing act to get a Ford 400 to idle smoothly and meet the HC and CO standards.
Any comment on Cummins $1.65 B fine? (yes, that's right! )

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Back in the early days of the Boss 302 program, Shelby-American was asked to work on the engine's performance. Shelby's engineers found that the ports on the Boss heads really started working around 10,900 rpm. They reduced the port area to 1/4 size, lost 2000 rpm off the top of the power band and added 5000 on the lower end.

We had a Ford parts manager in Hampton who ordered in a Boss 302 crate engine for his late model sportsman, running at our local 3/8 mile track. His was a Fairlane, everyone else was running Chevelles, so he was at a 48 cid disadvantage. all were running 5:38 rears. He had a "cross boss" intake with a single in-line top and an 850 cfm Autolite in-line carb. First thing I got him to do was go to a 6:14 rear, second I hand made some jets from smaller sizes he had in stock, from 0.110 to 0.130 in 0.005 increments. we went out Wednesday night for a practice session. Interesting experience hanging onto the roll cage as he went around the track.

Friday night, we're in the pits (my GT350 was rather noticeable). He qualified outside pole, race started and he almost spun out on the start the car had so much more power. If I remember the French car boys found a way to get the setup banned (standard Chevy policy, if you can't beat them, ban them).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I'm aware of that one, I believe the saying is "hold my beer".
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Right, the 4V heads had even larger passages than the 2V, and until the R's were way high you had nothing.  But when you got it up there you'd better hang on!

Anyway, that's a neat remembrance.  I'll bet it was fun!

I was playing with bow tie engines with W-shaped valve covers & a WCFB at the time.  Didn't rev very high, but sure had torque.  Rear gearing had to be about 3.08 given the tranny out of a Chevy 6 with a low 1st gear, but it would roll.