classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 81 F150 Tach Install

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
We have Thisoldpart if it ends up too brittle to change over.
Two members have said that they ended up reusing the clip on the end because it was difficult to get the aftermarket one clipped into place.
But things are always being iterated, and it may be updated/different/better now.
IDK, I don't have an auto.,.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
This post was updated on .
Well, I just ordered one from Blue Truck Parts on line.  Hope it's a winner. Had no idea what was the fragile part on the shift indicator linkage until it was broken. Maybe a piece of shrink tubing can repair it. Tach works great
Ray
1981 F150 XLT Ranger Trailer Special
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's the guy!
Please visit the market place and leave a review of service and quality, so other members have a better picture of what to expect.  

Thanks!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, if you could get a piece of shrink tubing large enough to go over the loop on the end but yet shrink down to the right size that might fix the current break.  But given how brittle that stuff is you'll probably break it again getting it back on.  The new one is the way to go.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Raywilson
basically the black piece is held in place by two hex head screws and is a indicator "module" for the automatic transmission as gary said. they were not all the same yet they all mount the same. the cable is a very fine metal cable like fishing line and it gets pulled by the collar with the shift lever and in turn the other end pulls a spring loaded indicator across the scale on a pivot. the plastic sleeve is so thin that it gets extremely brittle and set in its position. do not over work it. let it land where it will as naturally as possible
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
Well, the new gear indicator cable bolted in place ok but since the nylon mounting brackets are much thicker than OEM, the cable becomes too short.  Park shows as R, R is N etc. Annoying. I sent them an email explaining the issue. Blue Truck Parts are local for me but are just reselling what everyone has for sale. I found a guy who made me a very hard to find heater cable,  maybe he can cobble a shift indicator cable using my old parts.
Anyone have a better solution?
Ray
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Aren't there slots to let you slide the bracket to adjust for that?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
There is a slot but I think i'd need to drill another hole. I'll look tomorow. Blue Truck Parts actually responded to me tonight and had questions. They do make the product in house, in Portland, where I live. I'll post my successes or failures....
Ray
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
I had to drill another hole in the bracket to allow gear selector to accurate in R N D 3 1, it's short a 1/2in for Park but thats ok. Works great. Blue Truck Parts. On another note, w my new to me tach, I'm doing 1500 rpm at 55mph. I have a AOD transmission and I'm thinking if it was left in 3rd I'd get better mileage with the higher, more efficient rpms. Does that make sense?
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
some. generally speaking, the aod is intended to shift into od around 45 mph in light/normal driving. and if you are not exceeding 55 and not on interstate often, then using the d setting is a good idea. some early indicators had a 3 as in third gear but it was dropped, and d was put in place as in that position, it will operate 1,2,3 just like any other 3 speed auto.  the trans is not knowing what the indicator is telling the driver as it's just a hydraulic valve body and will do per the selector valve position it's in. it is also recommended to use the 3/d position when pulling a trailer or carrying a heavy load. engines with less hp or torque make this even more important as the trans will shift in and out of od more often as you push harder on the throttle, also pushing harder on the trans throttle valve.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
Thank you for that excellent response! Helps a lot
Ray
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Raywilson
I'm glad to hear they're working with you to resolve your problem.

That says a lot..  
 Jim,