classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
899 messages Options
1 ... 3839404142434445
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

rcarlisle
Man these old trucks can sure frustrate a fella.  Not as bad as yours but my tailgate quit working.  Everything was good and it open-end and closed normally last time I used it.  Now one side isn't working.

As for your truck, that sounds like the starter.  Whenever that's been the issue on my various junk over the years, it's turned out to be the starter.  My dad's Toyota would never leave him stranded, but let me borrow it...I eventually just changed the dang starter myself.

I'm no good on AC, but sounds like you have good idea where to start? Is the PSI switch the one at the control or at the compressor?

Good luck with it.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Sounds like you either have a bad solenoid/starter relay or a bad connection from it to the starter.  Probably the relay.

On the A/C, if you have a leak the pressure may be right at the cutoff point such that at some temps it'll work and others it won't.

Anyway, I know the feeling.  There are times when I wonder if I ought to sell.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
rcarlisle wrote
Man these old trucks can sure frustrate a fella.  Not as bad as yours but my tailgate quit working.  Everything was good and it open-end and closed normally last time I used it.  Now one side isn't working.

As for your truck, that sounds like the starter.  Whenever that's been the issue on my various junk over the years, it's turned out to be the starter.  My dad's Toyota would never leave him stranded, but let me borrow it...I eventually just changed the dang starter myself.

I'm no good on AC, but sounds like you have good idea where to start? Is the PSI switch the one at the control or at the compressor?

Good luck with it.
I want to go over all the cable connections to make sure they are good, cable were new as part of the build.
It has crossed my mind its the starter but it will then catch and crank normally.
If it was a dead spot on the starter I would think it would not turn?

As for the psi switch it is on the AC dryer.
IIRC the power comes from the HVAC control to the psi switch and if closed it sends power to the AC compressor.

Gary Lewis wrote
Sounds like you either have a bad solenoid/starter relay or a bad connection from it to the starter.  Probably the relay.

On the A/C, if you have a leak the pressure may be right at the cutoff point such that at some temps it'll work and others it won't.

Anyway, I know the feeling.  There are times when I wonder if I ought to sell.  
If it is the solenoid/starter relay do you think it would send any power to the starter and if it dose it may just not be enough?
I ask because if I use a test light do you think it would light but not crank the motor?

How would you go about checking / testing the solenoid/starter relay before replacing it?
And that brings up the next issue, who would you go through to get a good one as I hear most are junk out of the box.

I think over the holiday weekend I will check into both issues to see if I find something.
Thanks guys
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the starter and cable connections are good then a test light won't come on if the starter doesn't crank.  There might be a bit of power there with a bad relay, but it shouldn't be enough to light the light and all the while the relay is probably frying.

I would test by having someone else turn the key and if it doesn't crank I'd short across the battery and starter posts on the relay with a screwdriver or a pair of pliers - that I don't particularly like.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
My dad's Toyota would start sometimes on first try.  Sometimes 5 or 6.  Sometimes it works take 10 minutes to finally work.  New starter fixed it.  

Guy that worked on my AC said there is some sort of switch on bottom off control slider.  Just things to consider.
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
rcarlisle wrote
My dad's Toyota would start sometimes on first try.  Sometimes 5 or 6.  Sometimes it works take 10 minutes to finally work.  New starter fixed it.  

Guy that worked on my AC said there is some sort of switch on bottom off control slider.  Just things to consider.
I was just looking that up for when I get into to checking this out and was thinking "what if I had no power to the psi switch where is it coming from?
I looked up pictures of the ones I have before install to see where the compressor gets its signal from.
It has been a bit since I messed with this and the wires plug into the end of the HVAC control.

It is to be cooler this weekend and think I will look into this as far as I can without gauges at this time.
The easy part is to see how far the power goes getting to the compressor.

The other thing I found strange is if I have the control on "MAX AC" and I am under power the vents change to defrost like loosing vacuum. I do have a new check valve but so is the one in place now and dose not seam to be working?
Any way if I have the control on "Normal AC" the vents do not seam to change to defrost?

Guess I got a new onion to peel
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If your air flow goes to Defrost when you go to Max A/C then I'm betting that you have a vacuum leak in the recirculate line.  That would drop the vacuum in the system when in Max A/C but not in A/C, which might explain the difference.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
My Bronco did that a couple years ago. It was a small leak and it took awhile to find it. It was on the Max A/C vacuum line.

Mine did it under heavy acceleration.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
If your air flow goes to Defrost when you go to Max A/C then I'm betting that you have a vacuum leak in the recirculate line.  That would drop the vacuum in the system when in Max A/C but not in A/C, which might explain the difference.
It only happens when under power like pulling out into traffic or pulling a long hill.
Maybe I need a bigger or a 2nd juice can for vacuum, other wise it works normal.
I also have to re-look at the heater core close off valve as it works by vacuum but cant remember where I tied it into.
IIRC my HVAC control is not for a 81 truck, want to say 84 but maybe not?

Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I would check the line from the control out to the recirc motor.  I suspect you have a crack in it.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gary Lewis wrote
I would check the line from the control out to the recirc motor.  I suspect you have a crack in it.
Will do
Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
With help from my son we swapped out the AC clutch.
Now before I did someone asked if I ohmed out the coil and at the time I had not but did before I started any work and yes it was open .... read bad!

It was not hard to swap out the AC clutch other than we had a heavy rain storm come through just before we were going to bolt it to the brackets.
Came down so hard had to close up the garage as we where getting flooded out, no the truck was not in the garage. When it slowed some we took a dinned break till the rain stopped.
After the rain we got the compressor mounted back up and I now have AC blowing cold again!

Wile my son was doing that I pulled the solenoid off the fender and sanded the fender and the solenoid where it hits the fender for a better ground. I also added star washers between the solenoid & fender.
Well that was a wast of time, I had to hit the key a bunch of times before it would crank over.
Tomorrow I will pick up a new solenoid after the weekly trash run from NAPA to replace it.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, that was actually 1.5 steps toward. One for the clutch and half for figuring out it really is the relay. Well done!  ðŸ˜‰

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
What kills me on the relay is the truck sat for a week and hit the key and it cranked over for a bit as the fuel in the carb was gone so I stopped and hit the key again and it cranked again.
But after I did the work on the ground side and it did not crank gets me
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is difficult to guess why things like that fail.  Clearly the problem wasn't the ground - unless your fender isn't grounded.  Have you checked that?

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Last week after the trash run I run to NAPA and picked up their top of the line starter relay.
I got out of work early one day and swapped it out.

Now wouldn't you know the truck started a few times I tried before moving it to my garage (were the tools are) to do the change out
When I put all back together I sanded all connections and used dielectric grease on them.
I also cleaned both battery connections and used grease on them also.
I gave it a few starts and it did each time so i moved it back to the house garage and will see if the new relay and all connection being clean fixed it.

On a side note I think I had a post of milk shake on the dip stick & tube and the oil fill cap.
Well that is no longer happening and dont know why but am happy its gone.
Maybe adjusting the timing and carb settings did it?
I have not seen any change on the factory temp gauge, not that it would show up on it.
I still have a little pinging at speed under a light load I am still working on, think I went the wrong way with the vacuum can adjustment the first time?
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think it's that warmer weather is causing less condensation in the crankcase.

I hope a new starter relay will fix your problem.
Contact and terminal cleaning can only help the situation.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I think it's that warmer weather is causing less condensation in the crankcase.

I hope a new starter relay will fix your problem.
Contact and terminal cleaning can only help the situation.
On the shake I would think driving for 30 to 40 min to / from work would be enough to boil out the condensation even when it is cooler out.
Guess time will tell.

On the relay I sure hope so.
It's not cool trying to start it at shows and only get a clunk!

When it cools down later got to wash the truck as a few of us are going to a show a few towns over.
Got to have it looking good.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Relay update:
Friday I started the truck a few times so I could wash it for a show on Saturday.
Saturday I started it a bunch more times between the trash run, car show and stopping for the most needed ice cream on the way home LOL

It started every time and even with heat soak at the ice cream shop so I call it fixed!

I was a little worried I drove only a few miles to meet up with a buddy and left the truck running as he switched cars at the storage area.
We get on the road and the truck stumbled just after a gear change and I am like "great the IGN box that leaking its guts is about to crap out"! Kind of like maybe running out of gas also?
It was ok for the rest of the trip.
I think the carb got hot and was the start of a vapor lock and once the air got moving, the temp gauge did come down, it was ok?

The show was the first for the town of Kenly NC so hope there will be more.
Lot of nice cars and a few trucks mostly the bow ties.
I did not know this but it was a peoples choise and they picked a Big Bad Greren Super Bird.
I was told he gets a lot of them as no one ever sees then any more, it was a nice car.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Super Bird with the huge wing?  Those are rare!  And expensive.

On the stumble, it could be either fuel or ignition, but I'd think ignition would take longer to cool than the carb.  So I'm with you, it may be vapor lock.  Are you running ethanol?

1 ... 3839404142434445