4R70W cross member

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

4R70W cross member

Tarheel Blue
As I mentioned at the end of my thread 300 Motor Mount, I now have the transmission attached to the engine. Next task is to attach it to the rear support (cross member).

Back when I removed the original NP435, I also removed the cross member and brackets to clean them up. While cleaning I was looking for any engineering #s and saw this

I’d never heard or seen F10D before so a quick search and everything seemed to indicate some early reference by Ford for the AOD family of transmissions. Thinking I was good and not needing to search for a cross member to work with the 4R70W I proceeded to clean some more, painted it and set it aside for future install. I had a smile on my face at the time thinking “finally, something good fell in my lap”

I was wrong!

This image shows where the studs from the insulator mount hit the cross member. Initial thought was to simply drill the holes and install and move on to the drive shaft. But if I did that, the member ends up being so close to the pan of the transmission that in order to do a pan drop for routine maintenance would require removal of the cross member. Not ideal!

Over the years I seem to recall seeing an image of a cross member and brackets that jogs back an inch or two. Am I remembering wrong? Does anyone have more info?

Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 4R70W cross member

mat in tn

These two seem to fit the best. I also have a third which is half assembled but it is like you said where it crowds the pan a bit.  The e9 part number is a perfect fit. It is on a 93 flareside.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I noticed the similarities in the numbers, so I looked again. in the one pic from my 86/300 install I see that the crossmember is the exact same part number. picture fades a bit at the start of the number. but both trucks have the same e9 crossmember, one with a 5.0/aod and one with 300/aod. now before you ask, the aod and the aode are the same case as far as bolting to the truck. aode is the name as it applies to the windsor bolt pattern. same as the 3.8 and the 4.9. 4r70w was the rename to fit the 4.6 and 5.4. yet internally the 4r70w and aode are the same with few exceptions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Thanks Mat!
I just went a looked for the millionth time I still don’t see a number on mine. Just the indicators of which way to turn it based upon which transmission is used.

I did a search for E9TA 5060-BAA with no results. Where did you get yours from and ya got any extras?😇

Another issue that I’ve noticed. I decided to run a laser line from crank bolt to pinion on the rear end. Ends up that the center of the trans yoke is 1/2” towards the drivers side.

That can’t be right.

I’m wondering if the left motor mount (Pioneer 602636) could be the cause.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that much could be had by simply loosening the mount/perch bolts and retightening them once the crossmember is set. I did look but I do not have any more of the e9s. I do have one that lists the f1od like you have. I have a few yards that I work with so a search may be underway soon. I need to finish the install I'm on first.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
I’m also curious as to where yours mounts to the frame. My bolt is 12” aft of the rear bolt on the radius arm bracket.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
Remember gentlemen, the number ON a part is NOT the part number!
It is an engineering number, and you need the MPC (available on this site) to figure out the proper suffix, and all PARTS numbers will have a 4th character of Z.

E9TZ 5060-xx
(Probably AA or AB, but I can't say without looking up the part, and I ONLY got on the forum, because I have to take my blood pressure and antibiotics....)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Correct and the part number is

E9TZ 6A023-G
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Okay Kurt
As long as you're clear on that, I'm afraid I didn't read the whole thread...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
update.. I checked one of my yards after installing another transmission this morning and I have another crossmember on hand, I picked it up it this afternoon. I left a standing order for another if available since I am using these often and have a couple conversions coming up. but if needed, I have one here! in case you cannot find one closer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
That’s a fantastic update!
PM sent
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
pm sent ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Yup, sent you a private message or email via this site this morning. But as I’ve read before, evidently Nabble email is a little wonky?

I’ll try to send again.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I just sent the two of you an email to connect you.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Thanks Gary
Kurt K