385ci windsor, project motor for the 86

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

385ci windsor, project motor for the 86

NZCOBRA

1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 385ci windsor, project motor for the 86

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Beautiful!

Love the headers.  Do they clear the frame?  I had some problems with mine, but I have the massive 460, so the clearance is minimal.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
Hi Gary , I have no idea ! not really an issue ,i will just alter them if required , I am expecting something , plan is to just get the motor together this year ,no hurry , and would like to paint engine bay, to tidy up the blue on a replacement guard ,not a show truck but tidy , I have a mate to wire in My Motec ECU and i have a fast ignition box need to make a relay and fuse block , get rid of those TAD TAB solenoids . I was an Auto machinist by trade,  also worked as a fitter and turner / fabrication , and now a shift engineer. I want motor to have good  torque ,smallish cam ,  intake runners maybe a little short, but might be better on runner volume to suit the cubic inch . Cheers.
1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
I am recycling some of these parts and some were bought cheap at the right time ,
should turn into a nice motor. I bought these heads in about 1992 !

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I 💓 those heads!    ðŸ˜‰
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
Thanks,  it will be good to get a second use out of the Dart 2s ! when I bought them, world products Snr now,I managed to get my cruise control to work today , wow never seen it work  I need to buy  an alternator soon ,(keep someone in a job) hope the US gets this Virus under control  . Cheers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by NZCOBRA
My mistake on the headers was to have them Jet-Hot coated w/o having installed them.  The coating means you don't want to be rough with them, much less beat on them w/a hammer.  So it was no fun installing them and I had to cut ~1/2" out of the frame to get enough clearance.

Nice looking heads!

On the relays, you might read Scott's experience here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Camano-Experience-tp35327p48433.html.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I forgot about the speed control.  Those are robust systems that work nicely, so it is a shame to have one but not be able to use it.  Glad you got yours going.

Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
I dont know much about the speed control , so is the servo and all the related parts reliable ?  , i have seen the diagram on this site , but not much info on the web , i have seen a new servo for sale that looks exactly the same but is for a 90 and says not compatable ?  What normaly stops working . The headers , that is why i bought the uncoated , i could have made some but didnt like the idea of perching myself on the guard or radiator to tac up pipes , dont think my back would like that anymore ☺ Cheers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the various parts are very reliable.  I've not seen any of the parts fail.

As for the later ones, my catalog only goes through 1989, so I can't say after that.  But I know that by '95 the system changed from a vacuum-operated servo to an electrically-operated servo.

However, through 1989 Ford used similar servos.  You can see the part numbers on our page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control and on the Part Numbers tab.  I just added that tab and its contents so you could see the parts in the kits.

You'll see that D9AZ 9C735-B was the servo used from 1980 through 1983.  Then E4AZ 9C735-B was introduced in 1984 and used through 1987.  And E73Z 9C735-A was introduced in 1988.  However, I have handled all of them and can't tell them apart, so would bet they will interchange.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator