classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

2019 Garagemahal Show & Swap Meet Results, Pics, etc

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I just put the attendance, results, pictures, etc on the Bullnose Forum/Ford Truck Show page.  (It is FAR easier to post ~50 pictures on a web page than in a forum post.)

Please take a look and check out the awards.  If I didn't get it correct please let me know so I can change it.

David - What is Robert's last name?

All - Did I miss anyone?

And, I have the following tee shirts left.  They are $10 each plus shipping, which I think will be less than $5.

Medium - 5

Large - 7

XL - 4

Email me if you want one.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 2019 Garagemahal Show & Swap Meet Results, Pics, etc

1986F150Six
Administrator
Robert Evans, Gary.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
What is the link for this page?
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
TheScatch wrote
What is the link for this page?
http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/ford-truck-show.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Next year....
Anyway, we've got to get the addendance up! Advertising? A youtube channel? Ford and Chevy? Lol..someone just spit their coffee out....
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Attendance was down somewhat due to the rain we had just before the show started.  But that would only have deterred the locals.  If you'd driven in from afar you'd come anyway.

So, how do we get attendance up?  This was advertised on something like 10 Ford truck Facebook pages each of the last three months before the show.  Ditto Full Sized Broncos.  Ditto FORDification.  And Branden says he put it on another 20 or so sites.

Locally there was a flyer in almost every business window in town.  And some businesses like 4 Wheel Parts in Tulsa.  Plus it was on the local FB page.  And, of course this forum.  But I don't know about FTE - I don't post there and I'm not sure they'd leave the flyer up.

Ideas?  Thoughts?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
I would still try FTE
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Second thought,

Maybe if membership was active enough, run a regional show as well. Say like on such and such date in 6 different locals (One being in Australia) we're going to have meet ups. Heck maybe one day it's big enough you can live stream each location.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Anyone's welcome to try FTE.  I'm persona non grata there.

TheScatch wrote
Second thought,

Maybe if membership was active enough, run a regional show as well. Say like on such and such date in 6 different locals (One being in Australia) we're going to have meet ups. Heck maybe one day it's big enough you can live stream each location.
But this might be a possibility.  A local person would have to volunteer to host it, although not necessarily the way I do it with a dinner, et al.  And if there were several in a region they could come together to help.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
YouTube. Word of mouth. Open it up to all fords, not just trucks?

Personally, I think it should stay all trucks.

Make a competition out of it. See who can recruit the most entries.

Make it a Ford VS CHEVY VS DODGE Truck show. You are instantly doubling your attendance with that idea alone. Many guys have both fords and chevys or dodge trucks. Make it a competition to see which manufacturer steals the show each year.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm part of a Facebook Group called Florida Ford Rangers. We have a little over 3k members, and occasionally we will have meets in the Orlando, Tampa, and South Florida areas. The average amount of trucks that show up is around 25. The most we've ever had was 50, and the least we've had was four trucks. These meets are planned months in advance, and yet attendance is pretty poor compared to what one would assume based off of membership.

It's hard enough to get people to show up to a meet in their own state, let alone to another state. Although it would be amazing to see a larger group, the majority of your participants will always be from the flyover states. It takes real dedication to drive across multiple states for a small show such as this, and not many people are able and/or willing to be that dedicated.

If one were to try and garner more interest in the show, I would consider branching out to the surrounding states, but I would not focus much further than that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
You know what they say in business and real estate....Location, Location, Location.

Skiatook isnt exactly a tourist town.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Congrats to all the winners! Well deserved.

Ray's no doubt right on the lack of it being a final tourist destination but with the proximity to Tulsa, I thought Skiatook was a really nice location for it - quiet main drag but still an easy drive to Tulsa which gives you a pretty good interstate access in several directions. It may be a state too low but relatively speaking it's not terribly far from the geographical center of the US.

There was a parade (and rodeo I think) going on but not sure if that will always coincide and even if so, how to utilize it.

Kind of like your mpg test, maybe a nice scenic drive and cookout dinner at the destination that would start after the show?

Make it more of an all day thing.

As Chris mentioned seeing you guys - would be neat to have a parade of (primarily bullnose ) trucks.

Not sure these would draw more people in though...
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Scott, yeah, Tulsa isnt exactly a tourist destination either. So, I used to live in Collinsville OK, just 20 minutes or so from Gary. Not that Tulsa is horrible or anything....its just a town that is there because of oil. If oil hadnt had set off a boom, it would be empty cow fields still. Skiatook and Bartlesville wouldnt have existed without Conoco Phillips and the refinery industry I think. I think Gary retired from there too.

I just signed a contract selling my house in collinsville finally. I havent lived there in 6 years I think....

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
On the regional aspect you could do a NE, SE, NW, SW, and Central.

NE could be centered on NY or PA(Philly) and inclusive of ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, PA, NJ, DE, WV, VA, OH, IN, and KY.

SE could be centered on GA (Atlanta) or SC (Charleston/Myrtle Beach) and inclusive of TN, NC, SC, MS, AL,GA, and FL.

NW Could be Centered on WY (Freaking Yellow Stone NP) and Inclusive of WA, OR, WY, ID, and MT

SW Could be centered on NV (Vegas) and include CA, NV, UT, AZ

But you could just combine west NW and SW into just West Coast and all meet at Vegas.

Central would have everything from the Mississippi west to the Rockies.

Then an Australian and European meet.

Of course this is all fantasy, nice to think about stuff with a hugely active group. You would need to have someone step up to be the regional chair for each year etc. You could even cycle the regional meet to different states. Say Atlanta one year, then Daytona Beach the next. The key would to be to run the event in each region at the same day making one large linked event (with the exception of extreme time zone differences). Also to get solid RSVP's for the event, sell tickets. Cheap tickets like $1-5, to reserve a space at the show.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, Ray, Tulsa was at one time a center for the oil industry.  But it was also a center for the aviation industry, very much like Wichita.  There's still some oil and aviation here.  Phillips was in Bartlesville and Conoco, originally Continental Oil Company, was in Ponca City.  And while I did work for Conoco for ~20 years, in addition to living in Ponca City I also lived in London & Houston while working for them.  Then DuPont bought them and I lived in Wilmington, DE, and then Chicago.

But there is a little bit of touristy draw.  Darin and Anita, the couple from Australia, came here to see the Route 66 memorial.  And with The Gathering Place others are coming to see it.  Plus Bell's Amusement Park is said to be coming back.  So while it isn't an exotic location, there are things to see and do.

As for the regional shows, I was thinking I'd try to be at each of them and that was making me feel very tired.  But with the idea of doing them simultaneously I guess I could "be there" via Facetime?

Tickets?  Hadn't thought about having an entry fee that might compel people to come when they wake up and it is raining.  Hmmmm.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Gary Lewis wrote
But there is a little bit of touristy draw.  Darin and Anita, the couple from Australia, came here to see the Route 66 memorial.

Now wouldn't that be fun. A old ford truck caravan running route 66.

Reminds me of this commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lL5__uKScw
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBlue 94
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
This year, over on the fullsize bronco site, we organized a run to the rocks in Moab, UT. We had about 10 months of notice and planning, and chose to coincide with the Bronco Safari event. Interest peaked at over 60 members, but in the end we had 13 show up, from all over the country: NY, GA, ID, AZ, NE, KS, CA, UT and CO. The bronco Safari event is nearing 10 years old and is growing every year. There were over 100 Broncos of all sizes out there. I expect next year to be even bigger. They have obtained sponsorship from people in the offroad parts manufacturing industry and such. They hold a raffle, and everyone gets something. Top prize this year was a set of 5 US Mags Indy wheels. As well as a set of fuel wheels, roll cage, bumpers, seats, etc...

It's a matter of exposure. The more you put it out there, the more it'll stick in people's minds and eventually maybe they'll want to go. Advertising in magazines can also be good. Bronco Driver is one that comes to mind.

Another consideration is when you hold the event. This time of year, the farmers are in the fields 12 hours a day. Our local ducks unlimited banquet was moved from late October, to last weekend. Attendance was about half of normal, due to this.

Holding it at Grand Lake of the Cherokees might entice more people to come.

Wish I could have made it down there. Next year!
1985 Bronco Custom- 309" inline six, np435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker in the rear and Trutrac in the front. 12k winch. Onboard air coming soon

1996 F350 RCLB 4x4. 351w, ZF5, 35" swampers.

99 E250 v6 rust bucket. Daily driver on 33" tires.