(Normal)
417 messages Options
1 ... 12131415161718 ... 21
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1984 Bronco build thread

StraightSix
Hm. Im guessing the 351 HO air cleaner was probably double snorkel? So not that one. Maybe a 460 cleaner or the mustang cleaner I guess.

Anyways, it just became a "307 H.O. 2V" air cleaner.

Todays update :

The 300 snorkel temp'd in onto the air cleaner. I have since gotten the new hole in the air cleaner mostly roughed in. I also cut out the metal lip that the snorkel mounts to from the original 300 air cleaner. Ill sandwitch the new air cleaner between the snorkel and the peice of the original instead of attempting to bend lips ( not sure if I have the skill, but the material wasnt exactly there anyhow.

Ill try to get a few better photos of a more complete air cleaner tomorrow.
1984 Bronco, mild built 300-6, Np435, 3.55 gears, 8.8 rear with Eaton TrueTrac, D44 TTB front, 31" tires, Duraspark II, Offy C, EFI manifolds, Holley 390, No AC, 3G alternator, front receiver
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, the 351HO air cleaner is a single snorkel.  And the 460 is a single snorkel, but has two openings with the 2nd one back towards the firewall and it only opens at low vacuum like WOT.

But your approach looks like it'll work fine.  I think the extra metal may be a plus.

What's the diameter of your lid?  I'll measure my 351HO lid in the morning and post it.  And I think I have a 302HO air cleaner from a Mustang so can measure it as well.

What are you going to use to close the other hole?

Oh, and all of the snorkels are interchangeable.  IOW, You can bolt a longer one where the short one is.  And there are several different ones, with the differences being the angle up/down and left/right the snorkel makes with the air cleaner.  You can drill out the spot welds and change that bit if you want.  I have and have pics thereof in the Dad's Air Cleaner thread on FTE.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Thanks for all of the info Gary. It makes these kinds of factory equipment upgrades much easier and more fun.

I plan to use tin sheet metal like you would use for repairing a leaky roof because I have it around. It may be a bit flimsy, Id be open to better suggestions.

My lids OD is about 15-7/8".

My 300 snorkel and the one that came off of the air cleaner definitely dont share the same pattern. Maybe the 300 snorkel was an oddball and all v8 snorkels were the same? Hole spacing is identical, but thats about it.

1984 Bronco, mild built 300-6, Np435, 3.55 gears, 8.8 rear with Eaton TrueTrac, D44 TTB front, 31" tires, Duraspark II, Offy C, EFI manifolds, Holley 390, No AC, 3G alternator, front receiver
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My 5.0HO air cleaner's lid is 15 7/8" while the 351HO's lid is 17 7/8".  

But I confess that I've not played with a 300's air cleaner, so I think you are right that the V8 snorkels had the same pattern but not the ones used on the 300.  Sorry.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Great! maybe that will help with ordering the right air filters going forward. Its also worth noting that the slightly smaller 5.0HO air cleaner can be made to work on a 300 with an Offenhauser intake (with assorted spacers), while the larger diameter 351 air cleaner almost certainly wouldnt fit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Note that the 5.0HO air cleaner I have is a dual-snorkel unit.  But obviously there were single-snorkel ones for the non-HO engines.  And I'd bet that both take the same air filter.

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
So we think I have a standard 302 air cleaner, inexplicably made completely out of steel instead of having an aluminum base?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes.  And my 5.0HO base is steel as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
more progress. I got all of the cutting done and everything fitted. trial install on the truck looks fine. next it needs to be taken apart, everything cleaned up, then paint. after that all I need for cold air is an air filter. I like how cutting out the lip from the old air cleaner worked out. I doubt I could have done anything else as effective for the purpose of preventing excessive leak by, and it was fairly easy.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good!  I think that is going to work well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
what are the odds that the lower portion is stainless? I know some stainless is magnetic. I ask because it didnt really rust much other than where the rat nests were. I dont want to paint the lower a dark color because I dont want it to pick up additional radiation heat from the exhaust and everything else. thoughts on getting it sanded clean and then leaving it? or maybe painting it a light gray?

I think Ill paint the lid black.

at this point, Im tempted to get the lid cleaned up and painted, get the vacuum modulator that lives in the lid tested and installed (because they're are hard to remove without breaking something) , then put it all together and go driving. I can get the lower and snorkel to a sandblaster but it may be a few weeks. it makes it hard to want to hand scrub it at home. doesnt seem like it matters if they are dirty from a functional standpoint, thats what the air filter is for.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I doubt it is stainless.  Maybe a light galvanizing?

Most of the steel ones were painted, and painted black.  After all, it is a Ford and you can have it in any color you want - as long as it is black.

But I understand what you are saying about the temp.  Perhaps a silver?

As for taking it for a ride, I'd do it.  The air cleaner comes off easily to finish it up.

Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix

Here it is! Cold air only for now. No much of an effect on afr vs what Ive gotten used to, maybe a quarter point? Slightly larger difference at stationary idle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
That looks great! All the thought and work you put in shows.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by StraightSix
Looks great!  

I understand that you don't have much need for it, but setting up some kind of warm air intake from the EFI manifolds would complete the setup.

Good job on a factory looking cold air implementation.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good.  

Probably the reason there's not much of a change in the AFR is the fairly cool ambient temps.  As it gets really hot outside it'll heat up under the hood even more.  And while it'll be hard to say what it would have been, at least you'll know you are getting the coolest air possible.

I've done a lot of reading about air inlet temps, including this article called Project MPG.  And while that is for an EFI system, which will compensate to some extent for the air temps, it still shows that a stable temp is advantageous.

But, there is also the power difference.  I just discovered that the site I'd linked to on our page on air cleaners is no longer online, but I found it on the Wayback Machine.  And here's an extract from it:

Air temperature directly effects power.   Cool air is denser so a more air (oxygen) actually enters the engine.   A 7.2 degree change in air temperature causes a 1% horsepower change.   So if the air temperature under your hood is 180 degrees and the air temperature in front of your hood is 90 degrees then by ducting the cooler air to your air cleaner inlet you can give your engine a 90 degree incoming air temperature drop for a 12.5% increase in horsepower (90/7.2 = 12.5).

[Back in 1974 on my 1969 429 Galaxie 500 I installed an electric temperature gauge and several sending units: one into the air cleaner in the air stream, one just sticking out into the air by the air cleaner inlet, and another near the front grill.   I used a rotary switch to flip between the sending units.   Under the hood temperature on a hot day with the AC running was almost always over 200 degrees and in traffic was usually over 240 degrees.   The temperature of the air inside the air cleaner was the same.   Grill air temperature was never over 105.   I installed a 3 inch diameter air duct from the grill to the air cleaner snorkel and was able to drop the air temperature in the air cleaner to a maximum of 175 degrees at 25 MPH in traffic and down to 120 degrees on the highway.   The result was a better acceleration.   Note: this was in Omaha, NE and I had to disconnect the cold air duct in the winter.]

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

StraightSix
Thanks Guys! Im pleased with it for sure. I drove the Bronco to work today, about 27 miles from home. Its the farthest its been from my house since July! It feels pretty good. It ran slightly leaner on the way over here (45 F ambient this morning) but nothing severe. cruise was still floating barely richer than stoich. the air cleaner was cool to the touch when I checked it in the parking lot before coming in to the office.

Jim - hot air provisions are soon to follow. Id like my tune to be as stable and robust as possible, it seems like air temp is the biggest variable and certainly the biggest one I have any suggestion of control over. I need to find a working vacuum motor for the damper door, plumb in and test the bimetal sensor and (maybe?) the cold weather modulator. that should get it to the point it can suck in hot engine bay air atleast. coming up with a hot air stove will be the trick. Im imagining something like an old metal coffee tin going around one of the legs of the collector pipe, maybe with a small bracket welded onto the collector pipe to hold it in place? It seems like it should be easier to pull heat off the collector than to try to get it off the cast iron.

Gary - very interesting stuff. I have to be careful or Ill end up with a dizzying array of gauges and warning lights, it will look like a 747 cockpit. not only is it cool that he had that much info, but I like the idea of one gauge face reading multiple temps. Id love to have that kind of data, especially once I get the hot air system going.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There's nothing unique about the round vacuum motors.  (control is from the thermal switches and delay valves)

I think I found my new one on a Mustang site. But if you have the Motorcraft number you might turn one up on eBay.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
StraightSix wrote
Gary - very interesting stuff. I have to be careful or Ill end up with a dizzying array of gauges and warning lights, it will look like a 747 cockpit. not only is it cool that he had that much info, but I like the idea of one gauge face reading multiple temps. Id love to have that kind of data, especially once I get the hot air system going.
What's wrong with looking like a 747 cockpit?  I think Big Blue was already there, but the addition of EFI with an OBD-II port means I can have something plugged into that port and displaying a myriad of info.

In fact, there are lots of ways to use an Arduino to do that.  Plus, I have a sketch to use an Arduino to run the fuel gauge, translating from the later style sending units.  So why not also use that same device to check air temp, etc?  I have a slot at the top of the radio bezel where a display could easily be installed.

1 ... 12131415161718 ... 21