1982 Bronco completed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1982 Bronco completed

Andre
Bronco is back on the road, except for the rims all is completed. Driving it now to find out if all was done correct. Noticed some issue's with steering column, but is all fixable.

I read on the forum a lot of people change from the C6 automatic transmission to a different type. I might want to change this as well, including the 4 wheel 208 transmission. What are the best options, and will fit with the least amount of changes?
Motor will be swapped to, but not planned for anything at this moment. First drive it some more.

Enjoy the pictures of a Bullnose project.

Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1982 Bronco completed

FuzzFace2
Nice looking truck well done
So down the road what transmission, you said 4sp auto or stick?, & motor you looking to go with do you know yet?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Andre
Andre - That is EXCELLENT!  Well done!  

However, it would be nice to see those pics up closer.  Are the picture file sizes so big you had to pic "Big" or something like that to get them uploaded?  I can help you with that if you'd like.

On the tranny, as Dave asked, do you want a manual or an auto? There were only two autos used in the Bullnose years, but later the E4OD was introduced.  Here's some info on them:

C6: This tranny is legendary.  It was used behind the 460 and the diesel, and seems indestructible.
 However, it is poor on economy for at least two reasons - it has no overdrive and the torque converter is always slipping.

AOD: This tranny was used on the smaller engines, but never on the 351W in the trucks.  My guess is that it wasn't thought to be strong enough, but many people have used them behind the bigger engine and it will work if you take care.  Or, if you have one built they can put stronger parts in them to stand up to a lot more power.

The AOD was a nice design for the time as it has an overdrive gear and it bypasses the torque converter in overdrive.  And it requires no electronics to run it.

E4OD: This was the next evolution of automatic transmissions and came out in later trucks.  It has both an overdrive and a lock-up torque converter.  And, properly built, it'll stand up to plenty of power.
 But, it has two issues - first, it requires an electronic controller and those start at ~$750.  Second, they are a whole lot longer than a C6, maybe 7", and you will have to shorten the rear drive shaft and lengthen the front one.

Hope that helps.  If you are interested in a manual we can discuss that as well as there are several options there.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for the positive feedback.
As the car was never driven before the restoration, I was told the engine and automatic transmission was in good shape. Driving it now, it does seem to be in bad shape, the engine knocks after 2500 rpm, sounds like a bearing is in bad shape, and C6 transmission shifts with big bangs, and I can feel it when in idle at a traffic light. So there are two options, I overhaul both completely, but still remain with horrible fuel consumption, or take for example a newer engine with different automatic transmission, either from a donor F150 or Raptor. What is wise, to spend another fortune on newer donor parts and making it work, or rebuild what I have?

I will post some bigger pictures when the rims are done, as that will make the car complete.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Andre - I think your question of "What is wise" is perhaps posed to the wrong people.  By definition all who enter here have a problem, and asking us for "wisdom" isn't wise.  

Ok, let me get real, if not serious.  The question back to you is what you want to do with the truck?  Do you want it to be serviceable for many years?  Are you wanting it to be less of a pig for fuel?  (Notice that I didn't ask if you want it to be economical, as that's not going to happen.  )

In my case I'm in the latter part of my wrenching days and I'm building vehicles that my offspring, who are not mechanics, can have maintained.  So both of my trucks are intended to have Ford's EEC-V EFI system with OBD-II ports.  And when you plug in a scanner you will be told it is a 1996 truck, and the EEC will tell you what's ailing it.  But that is an expensive way to go.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Looks great. Love the ride height and tires.

What is the wheel and tire combo?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
Paint looks great!
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
Beautiful job! Love Broncos. Yours is amongst the sharpest. I really love the color.
“Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.”
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant, Tires are BF Goodrich 32X11.50R15, car is stock height, only the new coil springs in the front have one winding more, keeping the car more level.
Amsterdam Bronco
Reply | Threaded
|

Andre
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, your right, I probably going to remove the engine, transmission and 208 again and overhaul, and for a future project I should think about those things before, as it takes a lot more modification to the systems to take a newer drive train assembly. I knew what I started, and the old Fords love to drink, all known. Its just that I trusted the previous owner, who sad not to worry about the engine and drive train, as it was in good shape, well it might have been for him, not for me. Another one that I need to pay attention to is the steering column, needs new bearings, bushings and rubbers, all found out now when driving. Basically, the things I did not overhauled, are now still to be done, so lesson learned for future projects, do it all once its apart, as now there is always the risk of additional damage to paint etc. Also the little clock in the dash gave up now it has been powered up for a week straight, couldn't handle the power to it no more I think hihi
Amsterdam Bronco
ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
I have found since driving my 81' everyday always more that you can do, but you don't find that out till you start driving it. At least your on the road an it looks cool.  Going to look for similar tires for my truck old ones are getting ruff.
Eric 1981 F100 - 300 I6 - M5OD Swap 2003 G35 Drift Sedan 6mt RWD - Ricer @OnlyETM Ontario, Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator