886 messages Options
123456 ... 45
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1982 Bronco 351 4x4 - Code name Esperanza

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!  I haven't seen "good fits" either, but thought your wife might be different.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
It was too cold to install the intake manifold today... So instead:

Finished the door seal on the drivers door. So that door/window is all new weather stripping and it feels GREAT closing the door!

I got the needle paint out and gave the needles their first coat. Looks like 2-3 coats will be enough.

I know Gary did a needle paint review, but I already had this stuff from last year... It is what ever LMC sells...

The brush in the bottle was naff, so I picked up a pack of kiddies art brushes from harbor freight, 20 for $1.99.. The paint looks better than in the pic for some reason.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My review was done w/o the information that Bill O'Neal, of HiPo Parts, passed on to me about paints.  So I'm going to redo my review to see if I can tell the difference in how the different paints fluoresce with differing light sources.  But yours look good, so keep on truckin'.

What are you going to use for gauge lighting?

As for the doors, isn't it amazing how much better they sound and feel with new weatherstripping and window runs?  Makes you think of a new car.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the doors, isn't it amazing how much better they sound and feel with new weatherstripping and window runs?  Makes you think of a new car. 
Yes, but without the payment and high insurance!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Amen, brother!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
I can't wait to get the passenger side done..

To do list for this evening:
Install intake manifold and valve covers
Install distributor
Replace weather stripping on passenger side
Replace vacuum lines (got fancy new blue silicon ones!)

The more I look at the radiator hoses, the more I want to replace them too....

With a little luck, and help from a friend I should be able to get most of this done later.

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Well that was a disaster...

I got the manifold and engine nicely cleaned up. Then the bolts I had were too long and I had to run out and get the correct size..

When mating the Edelbrock 7220 gaskets (designed for Edelbrock 2181 manifold) to the engine it was a SHOCKING fit.... My friend could not believe it..

So we got the gaskets lined up on the engine as best we could. put a couple of studs in the block and then opened the black RTV Ultra.  It was hard to get out fo the tube so I poked it a little and it started coming out. I prepped the corners and started laying the bead on the back and the RTV stopped flowing. I cleared the blockage and then squeezed some more out. Then the tube cracked and it started coming out of the side of the tube. By now what started as a nice even bead was ugly, ugly, ugly.

We had a hunt around and found another tube of "Minute gasket" in my garage. So we cleaned up as best we could and laid the bead on the front and back with that. Not optimal...

THEN my friend was lowering the intake down and he could not get it on the studs cleanly and it come down weird..

By this point I said we are kinda all in. There was RTV on the gaskets etc so it was pull it all apart and get more stuff or let's set it and see how it goes. So we hand tightened, waited 10 mins, torqued to 10ftlbs. then 10 mins later 18ftlbs. I figured as it was minute gasket we should not wait 24hours.

I am thoroughly pissed off as I know this is going to leak. I am going to order replacement gaskets - NOT EDELBROCK. And buy 4 tubes of RTV from different sources and write the date and purchase location on them so when it pisses coolant out the front again I can get right on it and sorted it within an hour.

I am also going to get a new intake manifold as it was pretty pitted around the coolant channels.

So not very happy right now... Going to do nothing to it tomorrow and get back to it on Thursday when I am less angry about the sub-par products I have had to deal with.

Grrrrrrr....

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
A pic. The valve covers are not secured yet.. it looks prettier in there, but damn I am in a foul mood!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That does sound like a bit of a problem.  What was wrong with the gaskets?

As for the alignment of the intake, Brandon/Bruno2 and I messed his installation up at least once if not twice using studs.  I've never had that problem before, nor since, but we sure had it that day.

On the RTV, I like to start with fresh tubes on a project, but it sounds like you did and had a bad tube.  Were you wearing gloves?  I use the thin latex throw away gloves when I use RTV since it frequently gets on my hands and then all over everything.  In that case I just change out the gloves.

Anyway, bummer!  I hope you don't have any leaks, but from the description you might.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Even after a couple of glasses of whiskey last night I am still mad this morning!

The gaskets were just a really poor fit and took a lot of fiddling with to get them to line up. They were not labeled for which way round they should go and they stick out at the front of the engine as per the pic above. The little blocking pieces for the middle port (that was blocked with the old gasket and I have no idea why) did not fit properly and needed trimming too.

Any recommendation on gaskets? Need to order some replacements up ASAP.

I was wearing gloves, the issue was the RTV was bad and it was a brand new tube I had just opened...

Rant over!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I use Felpro gaskets.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Small progress tonight. I got the valve covers on and the distributor on.

These were both a pain to sort out. The angles of the Edelbrock covers made it really tough to get a socket on the bolts. I think ideally I need to use smaller headed bolts.

I am now officially an Edelbrock "anti-sponsor". I have nothing good to say about any interaction with any of their products I have used on this project. Nothing works "out of the box".

The distributor was tricky. As you can see on the left of the distributor there is a riser for the coolant to the heater core and a tee with the original coolant temp sensor. Well. Let me just say, the angles here were a pain and I need to get rid of that sensor as it is not being used.

So. I think I have 2-3 hours more work before I try and start her, but here are the pics :)

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sorry you are having such problems.  But, for all the problems it sure is looking good.  I really do like the valve covers.  

As for Edelbrock, I really like their carbs.  However, the rest of their stuff varies from decent to poor, so you have to know what you are getting.

And then there's the GM distributor.  They are just too big for a Ford, and while they work they have clearance problems on the smaller engines - like you found.

Hang in there, it is going to be worth it!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Gary,

I am indeed regretting the GM distributor! But it is in and if it works...

Hopefully tonight is the night I get her fired up and see if those seals hold!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We are pulling for you!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Cheers! I will post later on how this pans out. I am running out of time!

Also ordered up KYB Gas-a-just shocks for the front... $200... ouch!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Made progress tonight.

The radiator drain plug broke... manage to temp fix it, but need to find a real replacement, went to 3stores in town, found one, but it is right hand thread not left hand thread! Eventually managed to rig something up until I can find the right part,,,

Got everything put together but had no spark.. changed the spark plug leads out and got spark.

So now I need to find TDC and set the distributor up.. it got dark so I will try that tomorrow.

Also need to work out which wire is the ignition 12v...

Learning a lot...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If it can go wrong it will.    But, look at all the improvements you are making as you peel this onion.  And, think of the large bowl of onion rings, or maybe even a bloomin' onion, you'll have!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I am feeling good about this.

Once i find TDC we should get her started and I know all this ground work is worthwhile.

I am really enjoying the chllange!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Funny story.

I had a dream last night... I dreamt that When I was trying to replace the radiator drain plug I only extracted the core part of it, which is the left hand thread, and not the actual main body..

I had a quick look under there this morning and I think my bloody dream is right... So at lunch today I will go get the size plug that would fit the larger size and try it out.

Things will drive you mad..

"Eylza Dual-little"
123456 ... 45