494 messages Options
1234567 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, at least you have it figured out.  On the Bronco tank, you could use one of the coatings, like Eastwood's, but that costs $45 + shipping, so that is an appreciable portion of a new tank.   
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Unfortunately my junkyard punctures all of its gas tanks 😰. The bronco tank that I have I bought from a yard in Winslow that does not do that. Might be worth a call to see if they have one (it was $25) but it's 150 miles away.

Yesterday I tore the dash out and that was a good move. The AC/heater box area had a basket ball sized mouse nest in it. The heat/cold cable actuated door could barely move:

Next I fixed the blend door and it took me the rest of the day. What a pain. I made mine from a spare glove box hinge. I kept getting it flipped around in my mind and I had to re-rivet 3 times. I think the geometry of mine worked out a little different than the FTE article because my 81 has a metal door with a plastic clevis riveted to it. However the offset of the glove box hinge is just right. The door was tight in the housing and I ended up trimming the edges just a bit, but by the end of the day I had a super smooth hinged door that seals right in both directions:

(Note that I had to notch out the hinge for the clevis)

Then I found out that the newer style HVAC controller has a completely different vacuum electrical switch. I think I can solder on the newer connector pig tail, but I need the newer vacuum harness. Today I will see if I can borrow the one from the diesel until I can get back to the junkyard. This has been a particularly bitter onion layer!

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Really good progress!

Thanks for sharing all the detailed photos
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Jonathan - That may be a bitter layer, but trust me, it is gonna be so sweet when the heater works just right.  I drove Big Blue today and just now coming home it was cold so I turned on the heat.  Boy, did it feel good when it worked.  No muss, no fuss, it just worked.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks Gary, this was a bitter layer, but the smooth positive action of that blend door was very satisfying... and with day two ending with a clean new dash shell installed it really looked and felt like progress. Intermittent wipers, Motorcraft headlight switch, locking hood release and the new HVAC controller were the other upgrades.

I know I've said this before, but I really need to extend a special thanks for the two EVTM's and wire diagrams on Garagemahal. I was able to look up the lower switch wiring and just re-pin the new style connector with no cutting or soldering involved.

Note that the funky wire colors from the newer connector were from an Econoline. I got the wire order from looking at my 86 diesel unit. The two brown/white are electrically connected and interchangeable.

The new controller fixed my fan problem, at least it part. It will shut off now with the bottom lever in the off position. The fan speed 4 position switch goes low, low, medium, low instead of low, m1, m2, high. So I'm guessing the resistor?

The headlight switch pulled out one notch turns on the dash illumination, but no running lights front or back. Two notches out and I have headlights, tail lights, but no front running lights. Front blinkers work though, so bulbs and wires are working. More research in the EVTM is needed. I'm getting closer... 🙂

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reverse order, Page 40 of the 1981 EVTM shows the park lights.  Note that the front lights, although not the side marker lights, are dual filament.  So, either you have the smaller filament on both front bulbs out or you have a wiring problem in the brown wire circuit.

Yup, resistor.

Wanna do a how-to on re-pinning that connector?

Dash looks GREAT!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you Gary! I hate wiring and electrical work because I don't understand it well. But with your help and website I am gradually sorting it out and understanding it better. I had not thought about the front signals being dual filament, and that could definitely explain it. Someone might have even installed single element bulbs for all I know. And the side markers are almost always neglected and not working. A lot of the cleaning and cosmetics will have to wait, but I want it street legal and mechanically sound by December.

There is not a lot to the re-pin that isn't shown in pictures in my last post, but sure, I can do a short write up and maybe include pictures of the old vs. new controller and vacuum harness changes so someone switching from one style to the other will have all the information?

I don't know (electrically) which pins to move, but I know the instrument cluster plug-in can be re-pinned the same way. This would help people with 1980 vs. 1981-86 bezel indicator light / circuit film dilemmas.

And yeah, I'm really happy with the dash. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks so much nicer even with the rest of the interior still missing. The paint is a bit soft and it did pick up a tiny mark here and there during the install... but it was a rush job with only two days in between for the paint to dry. I've read a couple weeks or better yet a couple of months is a good idea before handling/installing. I just didn't have that kind of time. I can't wait to get it all together with the rosewood trim.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know you are pushing to get ready for your trip, so the how-to can wait. But it may help someone down the road. And if it had info about the vacuum differences so much the better.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I forgot to mention that there is a really large gap between the defrost duct and the lower heater box assembly... is this normal? Did I get this back together properly?

It was a good thing I removed it for cleaning... the driver side half was 90% clogged with junk. Pens, pencils, coins, bottle caps, matches, three necklaces, a pocket knife two small wrenches, a small screwdriver, popcorn, French fries, and much dirt. Then I made the brilliant mistake of forgetting a can of the interior paint on my dash over the summer. It exploded and cemented the whole thing into a clump of dried paint 🙄

Unfortunately it gummed up my vin tag also. I've been told never to clean or mess with that area because it will look tampered with, but I will have to in this case because you can't read it at all.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Can't help on the defroster duct, mine was changed to the later system several years ago. On the electrical, I have been slowly getting up a list of Ford PNs for connector parts and if available the aftermarket PNs that coincide with the Ford numbers.

Anytime I disassemble a parts vehicle, be it Ford, GM or Chrysler I save the harnesses and if I do not need them, strip them of connectors and pull out the longer wires and roll them up so I have the needed colors to extend or repair sections.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - That doesn't look right.  I'll see if I can put my spare parts together to compare.

Bill - I save all the old harnesses as well.  But, for the EFI project my guess is that the harnesses I have won't have the colors I need.  Perhaps the huck's harness will, although probably not as it is EEC-IV and I'm using EEC-V.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Houston, you have a problem.  Here's how my defroster duct sits down - on the pieces in the attic.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The ones you will not have for certain will be for injectors 3-8, but if Ray sends what he has then if it is an SEFI harness you will have most of it. Do I need to find my 1996 EVTM and scan it for you?
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - Can I move this to the E4OD thread?

And I would LOVE to have the '96 EVTM scanned!  That would help so very much.  Or, send it to me and I'll have it scanned and send it back with some pretty parts?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary it looks like I must be missing part of the lower box? It looks like there is a baffle held in place by that flower head rivet. But it also almost looks like your defrost duct has a metal edge... is your metal?

Bill, when you say you replaced yours with a later style do you mean a later bullnose or from a later body style all together?

I'm really hoping to not have to pull the dash out again but I didn't go through all this to not have it work 😔

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - I’m not going to be in the shop tomorrow, but can try to answer your questions on Thursday. However, I’m pretty sure the defroster vent is all plastic.

Also, do the pictures here help any?  http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/integral-ac.html

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Later style all together, my system came out of a 1996 model. Main reason was larger evaporator and factory insulated case.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks Gary, there is a separate square ring shown in the diagram as part of 18490 (defrost duct). I don't believe I have that and it might be my problem. Someone has been in this dash before. The heat/cold mix door cable was horribly rigged and everything was assembled with a smattering of random fasteners. Judging by the type of work done in there a missing piece is very plausible. I need to hit the junkyard anyway for a vacuum harness, so I will look to see if I find something there that I don't have.

Bill, thanks for the clarification.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you don't find one I'm sure I have an extra and it'll be easy to ship.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you Gary, I will let you know if I need it!

1234567 ... 25