1981 F250 rear brakes gone

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1981 F250 rear brakes gone

delco1946
So i'm finally in the mood to start thinking about this problem (i've had no desire to work on any of my vehicles for a couple months now ). My rear brakes don't seem to be working. this was confirmed by a shop that was doing some work and said the rear tires just "kept spinning" while somehow activating the brake system while lifted. Also, my brake light has yet to come on, indicating that warning system is also in need of attention.

I've not been driving it really so i haven't had a reason to play with it. I plan to see if the E-brake is working as that would indicate the pads are actuating against the drum. I bought the truck in February 2019 and had the front brakes replaced (frozen/rusted and totally non operational) and two mechanics said the rear brakes were "OK". This makes me think its probably an issue between the rear axle and the hood.

Anyone have a recommended order of operations of things to look at? Would a malfunctioning proportioning valve stop both rear brakes from activating? I plan on studying my repair manual (and documents on this website) this weekend.

Getting my (leaking) booster rebuilt is also on my list but i'm thinking that likely isn't the cause.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1981 F250 rear brakes gone

Frank Wyatt
Considering you said the front brakes were frozen, I would suspect that the rear wheel cylinders are in similar condition. Luckily wheel cylinders are rather cheap for brand new and it's really not that hard to do drum brakes.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
The brake lights are operated by a switch on the brake pedal, so them not coming on is a different issue. But if you meant the brake warning light, it should come on for a few seconds when the key is first turned to On, so if it doesn’t come on then the bulb may be out.

And the proportioning valve turns that light on if it is stuck to one end, so it may be stuck to the rear and that could explain the lack of brakes.

So I’d check the bulb and the valve first.

And, by the way, the rear brakes are served by one line, so if it is crimped neither brake in the rear works.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary, I think he means the brake *warning* lamp in the cluster....

Personally, tubing is cheap, and the hose/junction block is only $12-15 Iirc.
I would probably replace the wheel cylinders, R&L tubes on the axle, the hose/splitter (checking the axle vent tube) and the run up the rail, inside and next to the tank -where it always rusts out!- with Cupronickle tube.

Easy to bend, and you'd NEVER have to think about it in your lifetime.

Even at a buck a foot that'd be less than $20.
So, under $50 ALL IN  if the fittings are useable and you have a double flare tool
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
If the front was that bad the rest of the system cant be far behind.
You said the booster is leaking so I would start with the booster & master replace.
I would pull the rear drums just so I know everything is in good shape.
As said if that far just replace the wheel cyl and rear rubber hose, if shoes are good leave them.

Adjust the rear brakes so they are just dragging and do a good bleeding of the system.
When you replace the master bench bleed it before installing it.
Once you know every part of the system is good you can start to get it to work like it should from the factory.

I am happy I went thru the brake system on my truck as the rear drums were put together wrong, missing springs and Ebrake cable on 1 side. By the time I was done I replaced everything for the brakes on my truck.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Well I guess I’m changing my plans. A 16 year old girl decided to back up into my truck tbone style. Her mother ( not present) is denying anything so who knows what’s in store. There were witnesses but still I’m heart broken.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
That really sucks man. People keep destroying these trucks left and right with their careless driving. It's a shame. Any pics of the damage?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
😥. I'm so sorry to hear this.

And the mother's reinforcing the idea that avoiding personal responsibility is ok...
That's half the problem with everything in America today. (No one owns up to it)

Delco, I hope you are made whole.  

"Accidents will happen,
it's always hit & run
He used to be your victim
Now he's not the only one
I don't know where to begin"...

A slide on black ice, or something, by a new driver is one thing.
But this due to the fact her inattentiveness caused it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
That does suck.

I hope you got the names & numbers of the people that saw this and pictures of the damage of both truck & car.
Pictures will show it was that car that did the damage then it is up to them to figure who was driving to take blame. I hate to say this but mom sounds like a dirt bag.

Just be careful when going thru insurance.
My guess you have normal insurance, and that would be listed as book value of what?
Lets say book is $1000 and you have $800 worth of damage the truck would be totaled as the damage is more than 75% of book. You then lose the truck or you could by it back but it now has a "totaled" title and if you want to sell or maybe even keep it you could have issues getting plates.

That is why I don't have normal insurance on my truck, if totaled I gat $11,000 and I get to keep the truck. (Hagerty Insurance)
Good luck
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That’s a shame!  So sorry to see that.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
SEE what???
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
SEE what???
delco1946 wrote
Well I guess I’m changing my plans. A 16 year old girl decided to back up into my truck tbone style. Her mother ( not present) is denying anything so who knows what’s in store. There were witnesses but still I’m heart broken.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Oh.
See the writing on the wall.
I thought I missed out on the pics asked for...

My literal, autistic mind at its best...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Although I did not have my phone on me I was lucky and having several witnesses who are very helpful and sent me lots of pictures. One witness just saw her literally drive in to me so that’s good to have that backing. The damage I suppose isn’t all that bad but it’s to sheet metal and I know that’s going to be expensive to fix no matter how minor it is especially when you add on top of that that any parts might be difficult to find. I want to get it fixed regardless since I bought this truck to restore ( maybe take it to antique shows in 20 years!) it, but that leads to why I am partially so upset even if it if it is minor damage. I can’t turn left at the Moment but that’s just because the running board got worked up into the wheel well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are very fortunate.  I hope the lady is insured.

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
So I’m feeling better now thanks to my insurance agent. They’re insured so hopefully my next steps will be finding a body shop assuming this is cut and dry. I’m going to be looking for a shop that’s highly rated and maybe even accustomed to working on classics since this is a rarer vehicle in terms of third party support. The door is damaged and I’m wondering if it’s cheaper for me to get an original ford door either NOS ( unlikely to find that in a short turn around time) or from a junk yard. The shop could maybe strip it and prime and paint it to match and avoid doing any body work. This reduces the amount of bondo in my future and  gets me a freshly painted door for a similar price. Thoughts on this? The cab corner was also hit so that’s going to have to be pulled out and bondo’d I’m sure. My black trim was also damaged which I think is the rarer trapezoidal trim used in 81 so I’m not sure if they can repair that or what.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I would try and fight the bondo route. Or at the very least a very, very skim coat. A clean (rust free) junkyard door will be a hard find, and IIRC, the newer doors don't fit well on Bullnose trucks due to differences in the cab corner.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Had to share the good news - the insurance of the young woman who backed into my truck has agreed to pay. I'm so relieved that my baby will get repaired right! This was seriously stressing me out. Now to find a body shop....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!  That's great!  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
It is and is not just yet.
You have normal insurance coverage on the truck and not classic coverage?
Do you know what book value is on the truck?
I take it you don't know what it will cost to repair it yet?

They can say, her insurance co., will cover it but when they find what it will cost to fix and the trucks vale it could be a total lost. That is why I asked on the insurance YOU have.

I have seen it posted too many times guys having older cars & trucks driving them most of the time with normal insurance and has a fender bender where they can still drive the car / truck but it is totaled because of what it will cost to repair and the value of the car / truck.
When you get close to the 75% of value of car / truck for the repair is time to worry!

Hope it works out but let this be a warning to others.
Yes I have classic insurance on my truck for $11,000 value and I get to keep it if totaled.
Good luck
Dave ----
Dave G.