1980-only Shift Boot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1980-only Shift Boot

salans7
I posted about this in the WHYDTYTT thread, and some of the guys there were pretty close on guessing what I purchased, if not exact.

Below is a 1980-only transfer case shift boot, used in conjunction with the stainless aluminum trim ring. Ford nixed this for 1981 for unknown reasons, and all E0TZ-7277 shift boots are the 1981 versions despite the E0 in the part number denoting 1980. If these had a part number, I've never found it. I've also never found close-up photos of the boot itself but have seen plenty installed in 1980 trucks. I've been looking for one of these for over 10 years, so it feels good to finally have one. I'm still on the hunt for the transmission version. Due to no info, I'm not sure if there's a difference although it looks like there is.

With the trim ring:

Pictured with another one-year only boot, the 1987 version (right side). Notice how there's only 4 folds, where most 1982-1986 shift boots have 6.

What this boot looks like installed in a truck:

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1980-only Shift Boot

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Does it have any numbers on it?  Did it come in a box?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
I guess I should be elated that I have so much "one year wonder" stuff on my early manufacture '87?

Shaun, it's really cool that you've finally got one of these in your hands.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks guys!

One year only parts can be annoying, for replacement and sourcing reasons.

Gary, this was a used part so no original box and the whole thing is rubber so no part numbers to be found.

One interesting thing to note is that the metal ring is molded into the boot, where the 82-87 versions have a removable ring.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
oddly enough I'm looking out for an 87 four speed shifter boot. not a restoration so will probably find a universal.  but as it is said "universal don't fit a damn thing".
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yep.
My truck wears a 'universal' boot and it fits like

But I don't care about originality or making a '90 something cab look like a 1980.
I just care that it keeps the wind/rain/snow out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Shaun.  I'll add those pics to the page.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Congrats on your find!

This stuff is obviously hard to find!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
oddly enough I'm looking out for an 87 four speed shifter boot. not a restoration so will probably find a universal.  but as it is said "universal don't fit a damn thing".
Oddly enough, I have one of those too as my T19 is from a 1987 F350. I also have the 82-86 version, so if you're really looking for the 87 version, let me know.

grumpin wrote
Congrats on your find!

This stuff is obviously hard to find!
Thanks! I've been pretty lucky to find most of the one-year only stuff I've wanted, but this one was tough. I've seen so many of the trim rings including NOS, but no boots.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
Yep.
My truck wears a 'universal' boot and it fits like

But I don't care about originality or making a '90 something cab look like a 1980.
I just care that it keeps the wind/rain/snow out.
In all honesty, this boot likely won't end up in my F350. There's a reason Ford nixed these and went with larger boots, and I don't want to find out why with how hard these are to find. I mainly bought it for documentation, and because I wanted one for my F150 for so long.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I replaced the three on the column in my 82 f100 with a rts od from an 87. I got the bell housing, trans, drive shaft with carrier bearing, shifter, floor plate and what was left of a shifter boot all in one purchase. then I replaced the 3.8 v6 with a mildly built 302 with gtp heads, 351 cam, Weiand aluminum intake and a  holley carb. 2k miles so far and my favorite truck to drive. gonna be hard to sell one day. down to a short list as I'm leaving the survivor paint. I just like it. carpet and a few interior panels, shift boot and maybe a radio. and i will be about done.