1980 F100 on Copart in OR

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1980 F100 on Copart in OR

thelastkeg
I used to buy old Fords on Copart in MS years ago before they went up on membership prices.  I still look at inventory sometimes for the fun of it.  I've never seen a Ford truck this color.  Based on the door tag, I think the paint code says 6B.  The Exterior Colors (Paint Chip) brochure for 1980 says 6B is Sand Glow, but the Documentation-Specifications-Exterior Paint Code page says 1980 6B is called Sand Metallic.  A google search confirms this color is the Sand Metallic.  I really like the color, and has made me reconsider what color I may want to paint a future project.  This truck is too far gone, but still has some good stuff left on it.  

https://www.copart.com/lot/76781273/salvage-1980-ford-f100-serie-or-portland-north

Alan
85 F250 351 H.O./C6
86 F150 4x4 300/NP435
95 F150 302/M5OD-R2 being turned into bullnose flareside
85 F150 4x4 302/NP435 parts truck
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1980 F100 on Copart in OR

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you for posting this Alan. I, too, am fond of this color and may consider it for one of my trucks. I once photographed a two tone 1980 Supercab in a junkyard with this as the lighter color and I regretted not taking a picture of the certification label for the paint code.  Now I have it thanks to you! I have seen it a couple other times, on 80/81 bullnose.

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by thelastkeg
Nice find !!

Copart got me in a lot of trouble in the past (waaay too many projects )

I’ve seen classic trucks go there dirt cheap and then at other times I’ve seen newbies overpay for stuff there. I’ve found better trucks on FB marketplace overall though.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with a 460 from an 86 Bullnose/C6
Reply | Threaded
|

thelastkeg
As recent as about 5-6 years ago, I'd usually pick up several 80s or 90s Fords each year in the $250-$400 range including buyer fees from Copart.  But those days are long gone.  People bid a lot more and membership fees have drastically increased.  Most of my deals over the last few years have just come from word of mouth.  I'm probably known as the sucker that'll haul off any old Ford.  
Alan
85 F250 351 H.O./C6
86 F150 4x4 300/NP435
Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
The original colors on my '80 Flare Side are Walnut Glow and Sand Glow. It's now a very faded dark red (truck originally from Arizona). I can see areas of Walnut Glow, especially inside the cab. I'm not a fan of brown but it's not bad. What I haven't found is any area of Sand Glow that's in good enough condition to tell what it actually looks like. So, thanks for posting a pic of that Flare Side in Sand Glow. What's weird is that I can see areas of a tan color coming thru the paint on the bed, not only on the flare (where I would expect to see it) but on the bed rails, too. It makes me wonder how the truck was originally painted; light color first then the dark color? Seems like a waste of paint.

Anyways, I found something else interesting: I checked out the Copart link and found this image of the interior.

Look closely. It appears as if the dash pad and the dash are two different colors of beige/tan. You're thinking; 'it's just an aftermarket dash pad and the colors are slightly off'. Except.....I have the very same color combo/mismatch in my truck. I thought someone had done a crappy overspray of my truck's interior trim but now I'm not so sure. My door cards seem to match the dash pad and not the rest of the interior. Thoughts?
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

thelastkeg
I've never seen one of these color combos in person either.  I did think when I first saw that interior pic that the dash pad must have been replaced.  But I guess the contract makes sense, my red interior has a contrasting dash pad vs the dash color.  And in that case, the door panels match the dash pad.

My blue interior appears to have the dash and dash pad and door panels very close to the same color but there does appear to be a difference.  Could be due to fading though.  Oddly the kick panels have turned an ugly brown and the surface is crispy, and they get the least amount of sun.

This orientation is right on my computer, so, oh well.  

I would assume that your interior is correct though since the dash pad matches the door panels.  It is a nice contrasting color combination.  
Alan
85 F250 351 H.O./C6
86 F150 4x4 300/NP435
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think the interior colors were supposed to be different from part to part.  I think that is a combination of things, like differences between vendors and how the colors have changed over time.

I say that because the brochures show a very limited range of interior colors.  For instance the screen shot below is from the 1981 F-Series brochure and it lists only 8 colors.  And the pictures in the brochure seem to show that everything in the interior matches.  Then in 1985 there were only 4 colors listed: Charcoal, Regatta Blue, Canyon Red, & Tan.  So the number of colors varied by the year, but there weren't that many options.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bronco638
Dave, the “Light Sand” interior was a 80/81 color and not very common. I have seen them with properly color coordinated dash pads and I agree with Gary that they came matched from the factory. I just think the dash is often replaced with one of the more common shades of tan from the later years.

Alan, your truck seems to have the main dash shell with the 80-84 red, and the dash pad and door panels appear to be 85/86 Canyon Red…or at least that’s how it looks from the pictures. Similarly the blues changed through the years and you might have parts from more than one interior.

In my opinion the Light Sand interior was the best of the tan colors (more like a cream white?) and contrasted particularly nicely with rosewood dash and door panels.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
Ford F834 wrote
Dave, the “Light Sand” interior was a 80/81 color and not very common. I
have seen them with properly color coordinated dash pads and I agree with
Gary that they came matched from the factory. I just think the dash is often
replaced with one of the more common shades of tan from the later years.

In my opinion the Light Sand interior was the best of the tan colors (more
like a cream white?) and contrasted particularly nicely with rosewood dash
and door panels.
Thanks for the info! But, this leads to more questions;

1 - Is Light Sand different from Fawn (which is a color shown in the color chart in Gary's post)?

2 - Is there a Light Sand dash pad/overlay available today or are my choices limited to the more common Tan/Beige I already have (TBH, I'm not sure how much I'd like a Light Sand dash pad)?

3 - Should the door cards be Light Sand? The current door cards are tan/beige and attached (incorrectly) with screws. I have a nice set of cards from the '81 parts truck but they're black (but will be painted).

I was thinking an interior with a combination of tan/beige/light sand & black might be kind of nice. I have an A/C truck but am not going to try to get that working right now. So, I'll be installing the kick panel vents and kick panels from the '81 (black). Maybe vents/kick panels/carpet in black with light sand everywhere else? Then the seat could be mostly tan/beige/light sand with some black accents.

The Marti Report indicates a CY3 code (Sand Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat / Flare side). Currently the bench seat is all cloth but appears to be period correct (and the fabric is very tired). My truck is a Ranger XLT but I'm still fuzzy on how to differentiate the dash panel choices.
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Dave, light sand interior is definitely different than faun, and there was at least one other “tan” spectrum interior color.

Replacement interior parts (if available in multiple colors) most likely won’t match. There are too many colors and light sand is a relatively uncommon one. Your best bet would be to reach out to SEM and see if they have (or can make) vinyl paint/dye in that shade. When properly cleaned and prepped with the right adhesion promoters the re-colored pieces are extremely durable and everything will match.

If the truck is a Ranger XLT then it would have come with the rosewood dash panels and horn pad. There isn’t any way that I know of to tell if the truck came with rosewood door panels or not… or whether the padded insert above the armrest was included (1980 only). The Ranger XLT seems to be less prevalent than the Ranger Lariat… and was more of an odd duck when it came to features. I once found a Ranger XLT in the junkyard that had Rosewood inlay in the actual power window switch bezels instead of the typical Rosewood door panel with silver bezel window switches. 80/81 Ranger XLT would also have the blue emblem on the cab B pillars and Ranger XLT radio bezel emblem.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - SEM certainly has the Sand color.  Our page at Documentation/Specifications/Interior Paint shows the colors by year and Sand is SEM #1789.  

However, none of the SEM colors for the pickups are available over the counter, they all have to be mixed.  But on that page is a link to a company called Vinyl Pro who can mix that color and send it to you.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bronco638
OK, I think I'll stick with what I have for a dash pad then. As mentioned, a Light Sand dash pad might be hard to keep clean. And, I think I'm going to stay with my plan for the interior; anything below the dash is going to be black with the dash/trim/door cards being Light Sand (to match the existing dash/trim color). The seat fabric will be a mix of Light Sand, Fawn, Nutmeg, Tan/Beige with a little black to tie in the lower portion of the cab. This serves two purposes; less parts to prep/paint and less worry about getting a light colored carpet dirty (if WeatherTech made laser measured floor mats for my truck, I'd re-consider). It also allows the kick panels & vents to 'disappear' into the gloom of the foot wells.

It's interesting, I have a complete dash out of a Bronco (1985, I think the previous owner said). The color of that dash is different (obviously) and I considered swapping out the dash plastic to match the dash pad overlay my truck now has. I was wondering how I was going to pull that off since it pretty much means removing the entire dash from my truck. And, I would have had to pull all of the trim from inside the cab to paint match the darker Bronco dash color. Glad I decided to post in this forum. Now, I have less work ahead of me.

The B Pillar emblems are long gone. There isn't even a hint of them ever being there. But, I'm pretty sure I have the radio bezel (I might even have two - the Bronco dash has one as well). My truck had Speed Control but most of it was missing. The spare tilt column I have has the Speed Control steering wheel but is for an automatic. The original column was pretty beat up and the internal bearings were toast. It's been recycled. I now have the non-tilt/manual tranny column in my truck (from the F100 parts truck).

Gary Lewis wrote
...on that page is a link to a company called Vinyl Pro who can mix that color and send it to you...
Gary, that link is dead (404, Not Found). It appears as if the SEM page on Vinyl Pro's website has been removed.
Dave A
'80 F-150
'11 Ranger
'17 Expedition
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vinyl Pro is still in business.  I just spoke to a young lady there that said they still sell SEM and nothing has changed there.  However, they recently updated their website.  So the URL must have changed.  I updated the URL on our page and it now works.  Thanks for letting me know.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thank you Gary, I somehow missed (or forgot?) that you had a page with SEM color part numbers. This is a great help for restoring with correct color!

Reply | Threaded
|

thelastkeg
In reply to this post by Bronco638
Weathertech doesn’t make a floor mat set, but Husky does.  I have a well used set in my 86 that came out of a 1995 F150 parts truck. It’s just the driver and passenger side, no center hump.
Alan
85 F250 351 H.O./C6
86 F150 4x4 300/NP435