valve replacement and brands?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: valve replacement and brands?

reebadoo
i know they need to, but i was wondering the quality so if i have to get different valves i can get a matched set of 8. like i said i want to do this right. has anyone had experiences with different valve companies like sealed power or others that they can tell me about?
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Many of the boxed parts are made by the same manufacturer. The good named part is about as good as you can do. And like I said, it's probably not the valves fault, it was the lack of heat conduction when on the seat.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by reebadoo
I understand. I have a valve machine in my shop where I do restoration. I barely use it, but nice o have.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I asked how the guides and seats look.
If they are still good (tight and not recessed) you can go with the Melling valves from RA --I know, I know.--
$5.67 each. Replace them all for under $50 if it makes you feel better.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

reebadoo
im going to have to have a machine shop go through and put inserts on the valve guides. the intake seats are good but i have to reface the exhaust seats to make sure they seat correctly.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"Inserts *on* the valve guides"???
Sounds kind of oxymoronic. ..

A good machine shop will install new guides, ream to size and either cut the seats (if it won't leave the valve too deep) or shrink new seats into the head.

If you're talking about knurling the inside of the guides, please don't.
That's never a long term solution.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

reebadoo
sorry i meant to put new guides in. the heads were knurled once before so i will have to have the guides replaced.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The knurled guides may be why you are having the problem you are having know .
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

reebadoo
i got the engine to rebuild and put in my 1977... i know its a little before the fourm but Gary said i could come on and ask about my valve question. but this is the first time i have cracked this engine open and i know i have alot of work i need to do to make it right instead of the quick fix way someone else did.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have knowledge about more than just the 80 - 86 trucks, and are happy to share it. So keep asking questions.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reebadoo
so now i have a plan for the heads. new valve guides. have the exhaust seats taken care of and make sure they are up to spec. new exhaust valves and the springs will be coming with the kit im buying from tim, i just hope i can talk him into setting aside a set of pistons before he runs out!