classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

valve cover bolts keep loosening?

TheGeneral
Hi everybody,

I am pretty sure I was not supposed to use threadlocker or torque down too hard on my valve cover bolts when I replaced it recently, but so far I have replaced gasket/bolts, driven, retightened, driven, retightened, driven 3x and they still seem to get loose enough after about a week that I start dieseling again.  What gives?  I don't want to warp my cover.   Could these be incorrect bolts or something, or should I use a very specific threadlocker?   She sure runs great when it's freshly tightened.

Cheers, Bell
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: valve cover bolts keep loosening?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm confused.  I can't imagine why the valve cover bolts would cause the engine to diesel.  Do you mean intake manifold bolts?

If it is the valve cover bolts, did you use cork gaskets?  They do tend to change thickness after you install them.  But in any case, I'd pull each bolt, clean it and clean the threads in the head, put blue Loctite on it, and put it back to the right torque spec.  Go through all the bolts one at a time and they shouldn't loosen again.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
dieseling? what engine do you have?
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by TheGeneral
In the old days, 70s, we stole this idea from GM to put on our Fords.  My 289 put out about 350hp after I rebuilt it, and propelled me to 136mph one time. I'm lucky to be alive.

Spreaders for valve cover bolts
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, I used those spreaders on a bowtie 350.  Worked good.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I did use cork gasket+ Permatex aviation liquid gasket (not sure exactly what name)...I scrubbed all bolts with engine degreaser before install, so they were as clean as they could get.  

The 'dieseling' I am referring to does not seem to occur at all for about a week after I tighten everything up, then it slowly starts again....rumbling after I turn the ignition off.  Clearly a vacuum leak type of thing.

Now, I *did* have my exhaust manifold professionally replaced several months ago, and I thought they were going to do the intake at the same time but alas they did not:(   But for the most part I think that stuff is ok.  I managed to pass smog afterwards, anyway lol.

I will try the Blue stuff as suggested later today if the weather holds, I just wanted to make sure I did not use a product that could damage gasket or make it impossible to remove bolts later.

Thanks so much!!
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
In reply to this post by mat in tn
straight 6
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
Ooh, great idea!   Gotta find me a set of those!  While it doesn't APPEAR to be warped in any way, I know that can be an issue as far as getting a good seal.  
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGeneral
You know, now that I think about it, I have a feeling one of my motor mounts might be failing, causing a lot more turbulence and rattling so to speak.  Oof
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It sounds like you are getting way too much air into the intake via the PCV system when the valve cover works its way loose.  But the PCV valve should limit that, so I think there is something amiss.

Anyway, if you get it sealed up tight then you shouldn't have the problem.

Good luck!

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
if you had the exhaust manifold replaced you should have new intake gasket also. they go on sandwiched together at the same time. also ther is another gasket where the intake and exhaust manifold bolt together
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
TheGeneral wrote
The 'dieseling' I am referring to does not seem to occur at all for about a week after I tighten everything up, then it slowly starts again....rumbling after I turn the ignition off.  Clearly a vacuum leak type of thing.

My 300 does that about half the time... slight dieseling, assumed it was a byproduct of being carbed. That was before and after a rebuild no less. My gaskets are slightly leaky but I kinda doubt that's related.

Personally I wouldn't look into it if there are no other issues.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).