63 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "The Great Unscrewing"

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry to see that, Gid.

I think conversion to MAF would be a significant step.  I say that because you said something about crimping the wires together and if that's what you do I think you'll soon have serious problems.  To do it correctly I recommend soldering and then protecting the joint with adhesive-lined heat shrink that will seal the it.

But, if you want to do it I'd suggest you get the harness from a later EEC-V system which will give you MAF and the wiring to all of the sensors.  I've not yet done it, but have the harnii with which to do it and it is intimidating.  It includes a power distribution box that needs to be accommodated as there are relays in there the EEC counts on.  And you'll have to find a home for the EEC 'cause the EEC-V systems put them in the modified kick panel, and there's no room there for it on your truck.  As Jim said, Bill/85lebaront2 would be a good one to talk to on that as he's done it.

But does Painless have a harness for that?  Is that what you are saying?  If it is for a Mustang, where do they put the EEC?  Can it be put there on a truck?  Or, do you still have wiring to do?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
There shouldn't be any reason he couldn't use the original 1985/86 location, the EEC-IV and EEC-V boxes are the same physical size and if he kept the original grommet he should be able to use it for the wire harness. The power relay is there, and the same fuel pump relay should work, but if not a pair of the later Bosch relays could be mounted next to it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good points, Bill.  Exactly why I thought you were the one to comment.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI