classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
150 messages Options
123456 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Cam's Ol' Blue"- 1986 F-150 Base Ex-State of Oregon

FuzzFace2
I did the vary same thing other than cracking the housing today on my truck and I changed the oil also.
And all my parts came from NAPA too LOL

I hope my oil sender (and temp) last more than a few months as the oil one was new when I got the motor running not long ago.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
It's been a hot second since I posted last, since I've been busy working and trying to sell my house, dodging people looking at my house.

Anyway, after buttoning up the thermostat and housing, I drove the truck for a few days and found it running really hot. The temperature would stay between the "L" in "normal" and the line under the "H". I asked my father-in-law what he thought, and he figured the radiator was clogged. So, I spent one of my days off working on that. I bought a bottle of radiator flush at NAPA. Drained the radiator, filled it back up with the flush and water. I run the truck for a while to operating temp with the heater on fully, then drained again and ran the engine with the drain cock open and spraying the hose through the radiator.

I never noticed anything nasty coming out the radiator, but I kept spraying until a flushed all the coolant out. Then I refilled the coolant. Since then, the temperature has been usually hanging out between the "M" and "L" in "normal". I'm more comfortable with that.
Cameron

1986 F-150 Base, 4x2, 4.9L I6, C6
1992 F-250 XLT, longbed extended cab, 4x4, 7.5L V8, ZF5 5-speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like you got it cleaned out, which is good.  But should you have another problem like that you might use an IR thermometer on the thermostat housing.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
In reply to this post by thefraze_1020
Luckily in Washington, wrecking yards are still open, being an "essential business". So, about a week ago, my wife and I took a trip to the wrecking yard for various parts. I found a really nice 1985 F-250 XLT Lariat with the 6.9 diesel in it, that I pulled a bunch of parts from.

The first thing I pulled was the delayed wiper switch, relay and wiring:

I have since swapped that into my truck thanks to the fantastic write-up in the "Documentation" section, and now I have working intermittent wipers.
Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
The same donor truck had what looked like brand new Sylvania Xtravision headlights, so I pulled those as well and swapped em into my truck.

Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
The parking brake on my truck was not engaging, so since I have a sloped driveway, I have been blocking the back wheels for the past month. I pulled the parking brake pedal assembly and the cable back to the equalizer out of the same wrecking yard truck.

I later swapped the parts into my truck, and now my parking brake works. Boy that was a job.

While working on my truck, I took the opportunity to pull the instrument cluster and replace a few bulbs. I had not seen the "emissions" light, the brake light or seat belt light, so I replaced all three bulbs and cleaned the heck out of the back of my cluster. Of course, as soon as I popped a new bulb into the "emissions" spot, it came on (I'm thinking likely just the inferred mileage thing where it comes on after 60,000 miles). So, I pulled the little black box behind the dash to reset the light, and pressing the reset button wasn't working so I pulled the little chip out of the black box and finally got the reset button to shut off the emissions light. For simplicity, I just shoved the chip back under the dash. If my emissions light ever comes on again, I will just reach back and hit the reset button.

Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good, Cameron.  And glad the wiper write up helped.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
A couple days ago, I got really bored. Long story short, I burned through an entire bottle of Meguiar's heavy cut wax. I realize that my paint is in really bad shape, but I will admit that after buffing out my truck by hand with paper towels, the remaining paint really cleans up nicely!

On my to-do list next is to remove the aftermarket radio I can't stand and put in an AM/FM/cassette factory radio. I like the look of the 1980-84 style radios better, but if I get a 1985-86 DIN style, I can just reuse my existing bezel, which is in very good shape. That will be a wrecking yard trip again. I also want to swap my cluster for a tach cluster, but I will swap my speedo/odo into that cluster to maintain the correct mileage.

Also, I have to replace the windshield rearview mirror, and the passenger side door mirror is cracked. I think I will most likely find another black mirror, because eventually, I want to paint them flat gray, to match the bumpers.

Finally, I plan to buy a saddle blanket seat cover. I have been trying to figure out what color to get. I think I have settled on gray. It's a contrast to the blue interior, and it matches the grey bezels on the dash.
Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are on a ROLL!  Well done!  

I was just looking at Big Blue's paint yesterday thinking "I really need to buff that out."  Then I realized I need an exhaust system, transfer case & driveshafts, cooling system, etc more.  So I guess the paint will have to wait.  

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
My wife has said multiple times things along the lines of "boy that paint sure is ugly" or "the truck is a little beat up, dontcha think?"

I treat my truck like my tractor. I really don't care what it looks like right now. I will make the best with what I have (hence buffing it out). But my main concern is making sure it runs and drives well and everything works as it's spose to. So Gary, I am right there with ya.
Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
thefraze_1020 wrote
My wife has said multiple times things along the lines of "boy that paint sure is ugly" or "the truck is a little beat up, dontcha think?"
Patina!

"Patina is the history of the truck writ in the surfaces that we see and interact with. An old truck has been around for a while and stuff has happened to it; it has a history."

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'll have to remember that, the next time some young'n  tells me I look old.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
I went back to the wrecking yard on Saturday and snagged a pair of mudflaps and brackets, a shifter indicator, and some pretty decent chrome mirrors.

The first thing I did when I came home Saturday was replace the mirrors. I had a pair of aftermarket chrome brackets leftover from replacing the mirrors on the red truck a few years back. So, I polished up the wrecking yard mirrors, mounted them to the brackets and mounted the whole assemblies to the doors.

Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
Yesterday I pulled apart the instrument cluster again to replace my shifter indicator. The old one had the white plastic sleeve broken in multiple places, making the indicator sluggish when I put the transmission in park.

First thing, I took the wrecking yard indicator and wrapped the white plastic sleeve in electrical tape to reinforce it.

Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
While I had the cluster out, I pulled the speedo cable all the way out and rubbed it down with a white lithium grease crayon. After reinstalling the speedo cable, I replaced the shifter indicator on the cluster, then reinstalled the cluster. On the column are two white fasteners for the shifter wire. One was broken, so I decided to remove both of them, and then wrapped two zip ties around the column to keep the wire tightly in place, so it won't catch on anything. The next time I need to pull the instrument cluster, I can just replace the zip ties.

Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
Later, I started working on the mudflaps. First, I unbolted the existing mudflaps from the brackets. Then I grabbed my drill and wire brush head, cleaned up the brackets, and spray painted them gray.

I have let the paint dry overnight. When I get back to it, I will mount my Washington State flaps, then bolt up the whole assembly to the frame and fenders.

Is there anyone on the forum in Minnesota that would be interested in these old mudflaps? One is in great condition, and the other has some cracking up by where the bracket was, but it still pretty solid. They are free to a good home, just pay shipping.

Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
Do you guys know if the collar that the shifter is mounted into is removable? Or would I have to replace the whole steering column?
The PO for some reason removed the pin holding in the shifter, drilled it out and put a bolt in there instead. My shifter is very sloppy, so I am thinking the best thing to do is replace the whole collar and shifter assembly.

Can someone tell me how this would be done?
The part in question is circled:

Cameron

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yes, it can be removed but replacing the column may be easier

I haven't taken a non-tilt column apart but assume they are similar in that area. Look for a skull shaped hole in the main tube beneath the collar and see if you see a rivet. You may have to shift as I don't recall in what position you can see it.
The rivet holds the collar to the shift tube. If you drill it out in the truck you'll want to think about where the shavings will go (may have to remove the lower bearing/retainer to let them fall out there).
In addition to the rivet, it will likely have a pretty tight friction fit.

Take a look at the diagram here to see how it all connects: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/steering-columns1.html
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
Yesterday I finished getting the mudflaps mounted. One bolt on each fender, and one bolt on each frame rail. I'm pretty satisfied how they turned out.

Cameron

123456 ... 8