odd trend with 1986 5.0 efi trucks?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

odd trend with 1986 5.0 efi trucks?

Techguy
so ive been looking for a bullnose around me on fb marketplace, since my project truck is only really good for parts and i keep seeing the same truck and engine combos being sold super cheap, fixed or unfixed

they all seem to be the 1986 ford with the first gen efi 5.0\302 engines.

havent seen any 4wds yet sadly but alot of the 2wd trucks. is there some sort of known issue with that year and engine?  just seems odd that people are dumping these suddenly.  its always the 1985 5.0

or is it just coincidence?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: odd trend with 1986 5.0 efi trucks?

macnewbie
It is likely the FB marketplace algo, showing you more of what you have shown interest in.
Juan

1986 F-150 XLT Lariat 2WD, 351w HO
Reply | Threaded
|

Techguy
macnewbie wrote
It is likely the FB marketplace algo, showing you more of what you have shown interest in.
ah ok. thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by Techguy
The 86 is an upgrade from the 85 1/2, the 86 has a schrader valve for checking fuel pressure.
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vinny!  Where you been?  Where are you?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Hello, boys. Mostly, I am still busy moving my life out to Western North Carolina (Brevard NC) from Virginia. Which requires me to finish up all the procrastination projects in Virginia. I’m just back from visiting some motorcycle, automobile and other museums in and around Cedar Rapids Iowa. I was out in Colorado last month for my nephew’s college graduation. I was wondering how Chris was doing. Other than that, a few motorcycle trips and just back and forth between Carolina and Virginia is all I’m up to. I can see from this site, you staying busy. Best of luck with your Ford truck show next month. I hope to make it out your way in 2025.
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Been riding the bike in this heat?  Man, that couldn't be fun!

Haven't heard from Chris.  But sure hope you make it here.  Would love to see you.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Seems to me you had a Birthday in August, so Happy Belated Birhtday !!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vinny - Was that to me?  My birthday was in June, but thanks anyway.  

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Gary Lewis wrote
Vinny - Was that to me?  My birthday was in June, but thanks anyway.  
yeah, that was to you. ok, June.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Techguy
Techguy wrote
is there some sort of known issue with that year and engine?  just seems odd that people are dumping these suddenly.  its always the 1985 5.0

or is it just coincidence?
I don't follow all of the Bullnose pages and groups that I used to, but when I did there seemed to be a lot of posts about the Bullnose 5.0 EFI trucks. Usually some kind of electrical issue, or running issue related to idle, etc. Fuel pumps and fuel tank selector valves are common topics...or fuel systems in general.

I think most OBD1 vehicles fall into boogeyman territory...in the case of Ford trucks that would be 1985.5 to 1995. That's just my own opinion. I see a lot of them around here converted to carburetors. Once they start having problems, most backyard mechanics can't figure them out.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for getting us back on track, Cory.

Yes, the OBD-I trucks are obtuse.  The systems work fine when everything is right, but when things go wrong they can be a bear to diagnose.  They have a computer, so all the inputs need to be working or they get their knickers in a twist.  But they aren't sophisticated enough to provide simple info on what is wrong with things, like an OBD-II system.  So you have to run the key-on/engine-off tests and fix those problems and then run the key-on/engine-on tests and fix those.  But of course, you just get numbered error messages, as indicated with a blinking light, that you have to look up instead of having the code reader give you the crux of the message.

As said, when everything is working they are fine.  Maybe not quite as good as an OBD-II system because most of the OBD-I systems are speed density while most of the OBD-II systems are MAF.  The difference is that speed density assumes that at a given RPM, atmospheric pressure, and throttle opening it knows how much air the engine just ingested.  But any change in the intake, exhaust, or cam timing makes that assumption null and void.  Instead, MAF actually measures the air being ingested, so can handle modifications.

But for a stock, or nearly stock, vehicle the OBD-I systems work well.  They just aren't as easy to maintain as a dumb carb system or a very smart OBD-II system.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, don't you have my EEC-IV analyzer? You need to put it out for the show so people can see what it took for the dealers to be able to diagnose the systems.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Agreed. Which for me, made fixing/restoring/enhancing one (feedback carb, but similar challenges) that much more of a fun challenge.

But anybody wanting to go beyond stock either goes back to a dumb carb or they move up to a newer EFI setup (Gary's EEC-V, Holley Sniper, Edelbrock pro-flo, etc.). Leaving stock systems rare and sneered at (unless you're a dorky nerd like me!).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill - Is this what you are talking about?  I think it is what I got from you.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
There was also a bigger box labeled EEC Monitor I thought I shipped to you. I know I have the transmission one here.

That one is for all electronic ignitions. I know I sent you a DS-II tester once I converted Darth to EFI.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll look again tomorrow.