new shocks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

new shocks

Fordboy300
Hey guys so I'm looking for a new set of shocks for Big Red.  What would you guys suggest??   I've been looking at the Bilstien shocks.  Big Red currently has Monroes.  
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: new shocks

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I put Monroes on Dad's truck and really liked them.  In fact, we also put a set on the Subaru we had and really liked them there.

But Big Blue came with Bilsteins and when I needed to replace the fronts due to the solid axle swap I put another pair of them on.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
How do you like the bilstiens?  I like how they look but I'm curious on how they ride.  I dont wanna buy them and they're way to stiff.  

I know big blue is 3/4 ton and well my big red is a 2wd f150 so it has a different ride quality.  My mom always says big red will always rock her to sleep when she drives in it haha. I'm sure that's due to the original springs and im sure the shocks arent helping they arent completely blown but they are pretty old and I know that big red is due for an upgrade.   Suspension wise.  

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, BB is a 3/4 ton and no one is going to be rocked to sleep in it.  

You might be interested in this thread: Best Shock For The Money.  In it I explained what I think of the Bilsteins.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Fordboy300
I went with Bilsteins and I love them!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I can't give you a "5 years in" report yet but I put the Rancho RS5000X kit on Rocky and I've been fairly happy with them so far. There were some minor details I wasn't thrilled with like they come with dust boots but the ends are JUST a bit too small to fit over the joint (I had to hit them with a hot-air gun). But they were very reasonably priced and seem to perform well so far...

If you do any heavy hauling or towing I strongly recommend air bags or roadmaster springs. I've had really good luck with them. If you've ever been under load, hit a dip on the highway and had it "porpoise" several times (even with good shocks) this add-on solves that.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I have NAPA gas magnums, which are Monroe’s. I like them.

My truck had Rancho’s on it when I bought it. Didn’t realize how worn out they were till the new ones were put on. Rides nice for a 4WD F250 of our era!

I have them on my truck, Bronco and Suburban.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Ive always ran Gabriel shocks on my truck.

On other vehicles I have ran Monroe and KYB.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
Thanks guys.  Ill be doing my research a bit more on the bilsteins and if not I'll get the monroe sensatrac is what big red has on now.

I

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I have KYB's on my 81 F100 Flare Side 4x2 and think the truck rids great for a empty truck.
I dont know what was on it before or how it rode as I did not drive the truck before I pulled it apart for a rebuild or if they were any good or not when I pulled them off, they got filed in the big round bucket

I got the shocks through LMC
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I concur. I'm running KYB Excel-G's from RockAuto. Rides great, for what I do at least.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
KYBs on the Bronco. Compared to the blown out shocks that were there before they are great.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm running the rancho shocks that came with the lift kit that I installed ten years ago on bubba. they are firm but handling is great. just thinking about this I'm thinking "TEN YEARS"! holy crap! well I guess that's an endorsement of its own, isn't it?
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have Monroe Gas Magnums on Darth, originally bought when Advance Auto ran a special on them, however they did not have the rears so I went to Sears and bought a set of their Loadhandler LTs that were made by Monroe.

Fast forward probably 12 years, both ends were worn out, lifetime warranty so, to Advance for the fronts, but couldn't find the receipt. I contacted Monroe, and after some pictures and a an affidavit that I bought and installed them, they sent me two new ones and instructions on returning the old ones.

Rear ones, I had the Sears warranty card, so should be no problem, right. Sears no longer has their own line, just sell Monroe now, nearly a week of back and forth between Sears and the Advance across the street and they were able to get me new ones, Dually now takes a different PN than a SRW model F350.

Other reason for Monroe, part of my pension comes from Tenneco Automotive from when NNS was owned by them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
This post was updated on .
I put Bilstein 4600s on my stock height Bronco. From the 500 feet I have driven the truck since installing them and having nothing to compare them against except the factory shocks (yes, the original factory shocks), I have concluded that they are the best shocks in ever situation. Each shock comes with 2 stickers so you can put at least one on every window, including the smoker's window, so that nobody would DARE mistake your truck for being equipped with anything but Bilsteins

I have KYB Exel-G shocks on my Dodge. They did not come with stickers.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
You had me at stickers!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Everyone knows that performance stickers instantly add 50hp!  
Maybe shock stickers add 2" of ride height, or soften the spring rate?

I've got KYB Gas-A-Just's after three decades of Monroe gas magnums on my 250.

Those Bilstein's look nice. They have a great reputation and I'm sure they will be world's better than what they are replacing.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - No wonder I have such poor MPG/ride/height/etc!  I have some from Sky, Bilstein, Summit, Rock Auto, L&L, Smittybilt, Luk, and on and on. Does it matter where I put them?  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Well Gary..... I can tell you that my tool box holds three land speed records and if I keep buying parts will soon reach orbital velocity.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Toolbox!  Does inside count?