lug studs in hubs?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

lug studs in hubs?

mudbag85
When you install new  brake rotors do you have new lug studs pressed into the rotor? going to be taking on front disc rotor and pad replacements on 85 f250 4x4. TIA
'85 f250 302 w/2100
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: lug studs in hubs?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The lugs hold the rotor to the hub, so if you are just replacing the rotor you'd press the lugs out, swap the rotor, and press the lugs back in.

Here are pics of the rotors on the left and then the rotors and hubs together with the studs:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mudbag85
awesome happy monday! what it looked like to me just wanted to ask for extra clarity. i am replacing rotors, are the studs easy enough to punch out and in right there on site? i had ordered new ones to take to the local machine shop to have them punched in the new rotor before i start this swap out thanks again
'85 f250 302 w/2100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wouldn't use the term "punch out".  I used my hydraulic press against a nut on the end of the stud and it pushed them out.  Then I tapped them into place with a hammer, trying to get them back into the same grooves as before in the hub, and then used a nut to torque them to specs to ensure they were in all the way.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mudbag85
That sounds like it would work great but what a guy doesn't have a press, hammer and block it is?
'85 f250 302 w/2100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I think you just want to use that new hammer!
Reply | Threaded
|

mudbag85
Well it was a gift, no I need to watch the "smart-mouthness" he's right after further thinking through even though I don't have the machine. I can take it to a shop and have it done right with the press, and apologizes to Gary for getting cute.
'85 f250 302 w/2100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No problem, I'm sure a hammer and block would get it done.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by mudbag85
mudbag85 wrote
awesome happy monday! what it looked like to me just wanted to ask for extra clarity. i am replacing rotors, are the studs easy enough to punch out and in right there on site? i had ordered new ones to take to the local machine shop to have them punched in the new rotor before i start this swap out thanks again
There's a detail in here that I think was missed.  I'm pretty sure you wouldn't press the new studs into the new rotor before you start the swap.  You need to get the old rotor off the hub.  Then you put the new rotor and hub together using the studs.

And for what it's worth, I don't think you necessarily have to replace the studs with new.  If you are hammering the studs out you might damage them, but if you're careful (especially if you can use a press) they should be fine to reuse.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Amen, brother!  I reused the studs on Big Blue, but I used nuts on the ends of the studs to push against, not just the end of the stud.

Reply | Threaded
|

mudbag85
In reply to this post by Nothing Special
Lucked out and found someone willing to let me use their press, first time doing this job so just trying to cover bases and plan ahead should all go well hopefully, expecting high wind gust this weekend so should make things interesting.
'85 f250 302 w/2100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A press should make it easy.  Good luck!