head liner

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

head liner

old yeller
  Afternoon gang, old yeller here, hope everything is well.
Not sure who can answer this, but i,m considering installing a head liner in my 80 f150 custom.
living in tx that metal roof gets pretty hot in the summer. i was needing to know what is the latest
year model I could use that would fit properly 87, 92, 95,?
  Also where is the best place to buy replacement parts other than a junk yard. Rubber mounts, bushings,
and so on.
I bought a throttle cable and it is about 2 1/8 longer, yes it was the one all the internet parts
stores recommended. Its 23.00 long and the original is 20 7/8 long. I looked on this site for specs
I just could not find any. I' sure i can play with it some more to get it right.
 I also need the 8 large bolts, 12mm x 133mm oval head, 7/16 x 5.25 is about the same size,
just have to look some more.
 also got my sliding rear window out, does anyone know where to get any parts for that. there are
2 pc's of plastic separating the outer glass from the inner glass to keep out water. i'll probably need
to replace the whole thing. Here again what would be the latest model if I find one in a junkyard.
 Thanks for any and all info.
 Clayton
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: head liner

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did your truck come with a headliner?  If not it isn't as easy as it might sound as the cabs with headliners are punched for the spring tabs for the trim piece that goes above the windows and the cabs w/o headliners weren't.  At least that is the way I remember it.

As for the headliner, I'm pretty sure that the headliners fit from 1980 through 1996.  I say that because LMC sells the Highliner like I have in Big Blue and says it fits those years.  However, they sell one for trucks that came with headliners and one for those w/o, so they must have trim pieces that will hold it up.

And rear windows are similar if not the same for years.  But places like LMC, assuming you can navigate their catalog, NPD, or the Bronco Graveyard might have the parts.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yep. Headliner and rear window up through 1996.
If you want to go with an aftermarket rear slider you need a new gasket intended for a single glazed window. (I now have a slider from C.R. Laurence. It fits well)
Bed bolts are tricky and expensive.
Carriage bolts can be adapted is you have a welder.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

old yeller
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
No my truck had no headliner, slots are across the front wind shield and thats it.
Are the slots around the rear window also for the trim. I assume screws hold the rear corner trim up around the seatbelts. Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

old yeller
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
 As far as the carriage bolt and welder, what are we welding, the bolt to the large washers?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Expanding the lug under the head to a long lozenge shape that will engage the holes in the bed floor.
Take one out and have a look...

Of course, if you have rusty bolts and a welder you'll likely end up tacking the old bolt heads to the floor so they don't spin and you can get them off.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

dionden
I matched my bolts to the original ones that came with 81. Flareside?
I got stainless steel 3/8 x 16 x 6".
6" is long but there is a benefit, you can thread two nuts and tighten them to each other allowing you to hold the carriage bolt in place while removing the nut that holds the boards or the bedsides.
1981 F150 4x2 C6 Flareside 302
1986 F150 4x2 Flareside T170RTS 302 Efi

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by old yeller
Here are the slots in Dad's truck.  I can get measurements if you want to add them to your truck, but they are needed to hold the side trim pieces that help hold the headliner up.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by old yeller
Apologies.  
I wasn't thinking Flareside when I brought the bolts up.
I'm sure Cory could tell you what's best.

This is why many of us outline our vehicles in our signature (it helps others know, without digging back into a thread, or even to their introductory post...)
 Jim,