different rad supports?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

different rad supports?

BLES
I have a 1983 F100 that originally had a 300-6. Now I'm running a big block and a rad for a 460/F350. The rad bolts right in using the alternate (unused with 300-6) factory holes.

My question is regarding the hole for the actual rad in the support. The larger rad fits nice, but the opening is about 6" too narrow. The original rad fit the opening perfect, but the extra width of the bigger rad is covered from airflow. Since the bolts holes are there for the larger rad, I assumed that's the only change, but now I'm wondering if there is a different support that also has the larger core opening for air flow through the entire rad.??

Current opening (and original core) is about 22" wide vs 28" wide for the larger F350 rad.

Thanks.
'83 2wd shortbed F100
502 stroker/C6
Saskatchewan, Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: different rad supports?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
See if the comment on the first row of this snippet from the Master Parts Catalog, from our page at Documentation/Cooling System/Radiator Support, doesn't answer the question:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BLES
Thanks Gary!

I can't say I totally understand that, but it seems I should just go ahead and cut it out. That was my plan, until I got wondering if there was something that wouldn't look "cut out" afterward.

I sure appreciate the knowledge you (and others) share. I have likely come across this in the past, but I would have been looking a while to find it again. Thanks again for bailing me out.
'83 2wd shortbed F100
502 stroker/C6
Saskatchewan, Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know where I hid the bodies.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI